Growth Hormones: A Closer Look Into Gibberlins, Cytokinins And Auxins

• Thread starter Dalai.Lama
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

******Disclosure******

The information in this thread is for research purposes only, "True Organic" documents the growth process of Sativa dominant strain Lemon Og Kush in a state which allows cultivation of cannabis for medicinal purposes and I shall not be held accountable for human stupidity)

Namaste and one love everyone!

This morning I wanted to talk about the use of growth hormones to regulate rate of growth. Allow me to bring everyone up to speed as far as the different types of hormones. I'm quoting this directly from wikipedia to save time. Here is the full web address for those who would like to contribute further research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_hormone

Abscisic Acid

produced in the leaves of plants, originating fromchloroplasts, especially when plants are under stress. In general, it acts as an inhibitory chemical compound that affectsbud growth, and seed and bud dormancy. It mediates changes within the apical meristem, causing bud dormancy and the alteration of the last set of leaves into protective bud covers. Since it was found in freshly abscissed leaves, it was thought to play a role in the processes of natural leaf drop, but further research has disproven this. In plant species from temperate parts of the world, it plays a role in leaf and seed dormancy by inhibiting growth, but, as it is dissipated from seeds or buds, growth begins. In other plants, as ABA levels decrease, growth then commences as gibberellin levels increase. Without ABA, buds and seeds would start to grow during warm periods in winter and be killed when it froze again.

Auxin

Auxins are compounds that positively influence cell enlargement, bud formation and root initiation. They also promote the production of other hormones and in conjunction withcytokinins, they control the growth of stems, roots, and fruits, and convert stems into flowers.[13] Auxins were the first class of growth regulators discovered.[14] They affect cell elongation by altering cell wall plasticity. They stimulate cambium, a subtype of meristem cells, to divide and in stems cause secondary xylem to differentiate. Auxins act to inhibit the growth of buds lower down the stems (apical dominance), and also to promote lateral and adventitious root development and growth. Leaf abscission is initiated by the growing point of a plant ceasing to produce auxins. Auxins in seeds regulate specific protein synthesis,[15] as they develop within the flower after pollination, causing the flower to develop a fruit to contain the developing seeds. Auxins are toxic to plants in large concentrations; they are most toxic to dicots and less so tomonocots. Because of this property, synthetic auxin herbicides including 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T have been developed and used for weed control. Auxins, especially 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) and Indole-3-butyric acid (IBA), are also commonly applied to stimulate root growth when taking cuttings of plants. The most common auxin found in plants is indole-3-acetic acid or IAA. The correlation of auxins and cytokinins in the plants is a constant.

Cytokinin

Cytokinins or CKs are a group of chemicals that influence cell division and shoot formation. They were called kinins in the past when the first cytokinins were isolated from yeast cells. They also help delay senescence of tissues, are responsible for mediating auxin transport throughout the plant, and affect internodal length and leaf growth. They have a highly synergistic effect in concert with auxins, and the ratios of these two groups of plant hormones affect most major growth periods during a plant's lifetime. Cytokinins counter the apical dominance induced by auxins; they in conjunction with ethylene promote abscission of leaves, flower parts, and fruits.[16] The correlation of auxins and cytokinins in the plants is a constant

Ethylene

Ethylene is a gas that forms through the breakdown of methionine, which is in all cells. Ethylene has very limited solubility in water and does not accumulate within the cell but diffuses out of the cell and escapes out of the plant. Its effectiveness as a plant hormone is dependent on its rate of production versus its rate of escaping into the atmosphere. Ethylene is produced at a faster rate in rapidly growing and dividing cells, especially in darkness. New growth and newly germinated seedlings produce more ethylene than can escape the plant, which leads to elevated amounts of ethylene, inhibiting leaf expansion (see Hyponastic response). As the new shoot is exposed to light, reactions by phytochrome in the plant's cells produce a signal for ethylene production to decrease, allowing leaf expansion. Ethylene affects cell growth and cell shape; when a growing shoot hits an obstacle while underground, ethylene production greatly increases, preventing cell elongation and causing the stem to swell. The resulting thicker stem can exert more pressure against the object impeding its path to the surface. If the shoot does not reach the surface and the ethylene stimulus becomes prolonged, it affects the stem's natural geotropic response, which is to grow upright, allowing it to grow around an object. Studies seem to indicate that ethylene affects stem diameter and height: When stems of trees are subjected to wind, causing lateral stress, greater ethylene production occurs, resulting in thicker, more sturdy tree trunks and branches. Ethylene affects fruit-ripening: Normally, when the seeds are mature, ethylene production increases and builds-up within the fruit, resulting in a climactericevent just before seed dispersal. The nuclear protein Ethylene Insensitive2 (EIN2) is regulated by ethylene production, and, in turn, regulates other hormones including ABA and stress hormones.

Gibberellins
Main function: initiate mobilization of storage materials in seeds during germination, cause elongation of stems, stimulate bolting in biennials stimulate pollen tube growth.

Gibberellins, or GAs, include a large range of chemicals that are produced naturally within plants and by fungi. They were first discovered when Japanese researchers, including Eiichi Kurosawa, noticed a chemical produced by a fungus called Gibberella fujikuroi that produced abnormal growth in rice plants.[18] Gibberellins are important in seed germination, affecting enzyme production that mobilizes food production used for growth of new cells. This is done by modulating chromosomal transcription. In grain (rice, wheat, corn, etc.) seeds, a layer of cells called the aleurone layer wraps around the endosperm tissue. Absorption of water by the seed causes production of GA. The GA is transported to the aleurone layer, which responds by producing enzymes that break down stored food reserves within the endosperm, which are utilized by the growing seedling. GAs produce bolting of rosette-forming plants, increasing internodal length. They promote flowering, cellular division, and in seeds growth after germination. Gibberellins also reverse the inhibition of shoot growth and dormancy induced by ABA.

There are still about 8 more phytohormones that are not on this list but still are part of hormones. For the purposes of this thread. Only Gibberellins, Auxins, and Cytokinins will be covered. I'm sure everyone's heard of the use of hormones to increase size, yield, budding, growth, longevity ect. It's easy to go on Ebay and purchase 40% to 90% concentrations of certain photohormones. Of the hormones available commercially GA3 is one of the key components in growth of the cannabis plant and works simultaneously with Auxins and Cytokinins to inhibit or speed growth. Based on my results from just folliary spraying a week under LED's yielded ~7 inches of growth (6 3/4 inch to be exact). I find that using a 2:1 mixture of GA3 and NAA stimulates growth safely without any inhibitory effects.

However, using GA3 alone is ill advised as it will turn your seedlings into spaghetti strings that don't grow. I'll upload a picture of what it did to my Sinmint GSC seedling. The plant grew sure, only thing was it grew four inches in 2 days and then stopped growing until it died. This stuff is powerful... do plenty of research before you start using it. Now, GA3 makes an excellent folliary spray at about 200-400 ppm anything over 600 ppm is pushing your luck and not worth losing plants over. Using NAA an IBA can make an effective rooting agent as well as diluted into a foliary spray for flowering cycle. I've yet to experiment in the flowering cycle as I purposely leave my plants in a vegetative state. I've included a picture of the growth of shoots and bud sites.

It should be taken into consideration that using GA3 with a SCROG setup could yield large results. As soon as my Lemon OG gets to the size I've predetermined, then and only then can it go into flower and I'll start Scrog then. This data is based on the results that I've received thus far. Currently, I've set two clones aside that are plagued by mold to be experiments. I plan on trying to revive this plant with a unique phytohormone concentration I'm working on. If this experiment is a success, I may have found a solution to helping revive plants infected with other infestations.

I hope that my research so far can be useful to the masses. I'll upload photos in a few hours when I wake up. Please feel free to comment experiences and/or criticisms that could benefit the grower community tremendously. I'm excited that I can see the physical growth as it occurs. This allows me to properly document my findings photographically. Every grower has her or his own methodology and should by all means stick to it. However, I've found that when playing with hormones, lengthening or adding a dark period is beneficial. My current light schedule is back to 18/6 and my girls are loving it. Switched to pure perlite medium and I water when it feels dry. Sorry for the long thread and I plan on posting an infirmary thread to help with dampening off during germination and seedling stages as well as document some sickness I've noticed in stems.

Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

Here are a couple pictures and apologies for the lag. One is a revival project, the fimmed plant is being treated with GA3 solution and the seedling is what happens at levels > 600ppm of GA3 @ 90% concentration.

Note: The seedling has dried up and since lost? I honestly think I threw it into my composter lol when they say don't use too much... there is reason lol

Image2
Image3
Image4
Magellan

Magellan

Hello Dalai - I have gotten 4 fan leaves to root and am now trying to get them to grow stems. I have started using BAP on 2 of them. I have a thread with pics about this in the Basic Growing area. Search for rooted fan leaves. Any suggestions or advice you may have are welcome.

Dalai.Lama

Dalai.Lama

Hmm, from my understanding / experience, I'd add some GA3 into your mix. BAP, may have got you roots but you'll still need GA3 for growth. Just got my probe in the mail so I'm feeding the experiment. Made some clones this weekend that I'm going to play with.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
******Disclosure******

The information in this thread is for research purposes only, "True Organic" documents the growth process of Sativa dominant strain Lemon Og Kush in a state which allows cultivation of cannabis for medicinal purposes and I shall not be held accountable for human stupidity)

Namaste and one love everyone!

This morning I wanted to talk about the use of growth hormones to regulate rate of growth. Allow me to bring everyone up to speed as far as the different types of hormones. I'm quoting this directly from wikipedia to save time. Here is the full web address for those who would like to contribute further research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_hormone

Abscisic Acid

produced in the leaves of plants, originating fromchloroplasts, especially when plants are under stress. In general, it acts as an inhibitory chemical compound that affectsbud growth, and seed and bud dormancy. It mediates changes within the apical meristem, causing bud dormancy and the alteration of the last set of leaves into protective bud covers. Since it was found in freshly abscissed leaves, it was thought to play a role in the processes of natural leaf drop, but further research has disproven this. In plant species from temperate parts of the world, it plays a role in leaf and seed dormancy by inhibiting growth, but, as it is dissipated from seeds or buds, growth begins. In other plants, as ABA levels decrease, growth then commences as gibberellin levels increase. Without ABA, buds and seeds would start to grow during warm periods in winter and be killed when it froze again.

Auxin

Auxins are compounds that positively influence cell enlargement, bud formation and root initiation. They also promote the production of other hormones and in conjunction withcytokinins, they control the growth of stems, roots, and fruits, and convert stems into flowers.[13] Auxins were the first class of growth regulators discovered.[14] They affect cell elongation by altering cell wall plasticity. They stimulate cambium, a subtype of meristem cells, to divide and in stems cause secondary xylem to differentiate. Auxins act to inhibit the growth of buds lower down the stems (apical dominance), and also to promote lateral and adventitious root development and growth. Leaf abscission is initiated by the growing point of a plant ceasing to produce auxins. Auxins in seeds regulate specific protein synthesis,[15] as they develop within the flower after pollination, causing the flower to develop a fruit to contain the developing seeds. Auxins are toxic to plants in large concentrations; they are most toxic to dicots and less so tomonocots. Because of this property, synthetic auxin herbicides including 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T have been developed and used for weed control. Auxins, especially 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) and Indole-3-butyric acid (IBA), are also commonly applied to stimulate root growth when taking cuttings of plants. The most common auxin found in plants is indole-3-acetic acid or IAA. The correlation of auxins and cytokinins in the plants is a constant.

Cytokinin

Cytokinins or CKs are a group of chemicals that influence cell division and shoot formation. They were called kinins in the past when the first cytokinins were isolated from yeast cells. They also help delay senescence of tissues, are responsible for mediating auxin transport throughout the plant, and affect internodal length and leaf growth. They have a highly synergistic effect in concert with auxins, and the ratios of these two groups of plant hormones affect most major growth periods during a plant's lifetime. Cytokinins counter the apical dominance induced by auxins; they in conjunction with ethylene promote abscission of leaves, flower parts, and fruits.[16] The correlation of auxins and cytokinins in the plants is a constant

Ethylene

Ethylene is a gas that forms through the breakdown of methionine, which is in all cells. Ethylene has very limited solubility in water and does not accumulate within the cell but diffuses out of the cell and escapes out of the plant. Its effectiveness as a plant hormone is dependent on its rate of production versus its rate of escaping into the atmosphere. Ethylene is produced at a faster rate in rapidly growing and dividing cells, especially in darkness. New growth and newly germinated seedlings produce more ethylene than can escape the plant, which leads to elevated amounts of ethylene, inhibiting leaf expansion (see Hyponastic response). As the new shoot is exposed to light, reactions by phytochrome in the plant's cells produce a signal for ethylene production to decrease, allowing leaf expansion. Ethylene affects cell growth and cell shape; when a growing shoot hits an obstacle while underground, ethylene production greatly increases, preventing cell elongation and causing the stem to swell. The resulting thicker stem can exert more pressure against the object impeding its path to the surface. If the shoot does not reach the surface and the ethylene stimulus becomes prolonged, it affects the stem's natural geotropic response, which is to grow upright, allowing it to grow around an object. Studies seem to indicate that ethylene affects stem diameter and height: When stems of trees are subjected to wind, causing lateral stress, greater ethylene production occurs, resulting in thicker, more sturdy tree trunks and branches. Ethylene affects fruit-ripening: Normally, when the seeds are mature, ethylene production increases and builds-up within the fruit, resulting in a climactericevent just before seed dispersal. The nuclear protein Ethylene Insensitive2 (EIN2) is regulated by ethylene production, and, in turn, regulates other hormones including ABA and stress hormones.

Gibberellins
Main function: initiate mobilization of storage materials in seeds during germination, cause elongation of stems, stimulate bolting in biennials stimulate pollen tube growth.

Gibberellins, or GAs, include a large range of chemicals that are produced naturally within plants and by fungi. They were first discovered when Japanese researchers, including Eiichi Kurosawa, noticed a chemical produced by a fungus called Gibberella fujikuroi that produced abnormal growth in rice plants.[18] Gibberellins are important in seed germination, affecting enzyme production that mobilizes food production used for growth of new cells. This is done by modulating chromosomal transcription. In grain (rice, wheat, corn, etc.) seeds, a layer of cells called the aleurone layer wraps around the endosperm tissue. Absorption of water by the seed causes production of GA. The GA is transported to the aleurone layer, which responds by producing enzymes that break down stored food reserves within the endosperm, which are utilized by the growing seedling. GAs produce bolting of rosette-forming plants, increasing internodal length. They promote flowering, cellular division, and in seeds growth after germination. Gibberellins also reverse the inhibition of shoot growth and dormancy induced by ABA.

There are still about 8 more phytohormones that are not on this list but still are part of hormones. For the purposes of this thread. Only Gibberellins, Auxins, and Cytokinins will be covered. I'm sure everyone's heard of the use of hormones to increase size, yield, budding, growth, longevity ect. It's easy to go on Ebay and purchase 40% to 90% concentrations of certain photohormones. Of the hormones available commercially GA3 is one of the key components in growth of the cannabis plant and works simultaneously with Auxins and Cytokinins to inhibit or speed growth. Based on my results from just folliary spraying a week under LED's yielded ~7 inches of growth (6 3/4 inch to be exact). I find that using a 2:1 mixture of GA3 and NAA stimulates growth safely without any inhibitory effects.

However, using GA3 alone is ill advised as it will turn your seedlings into spaghetti strings that don't grow. I'll upload a picture of what it did to my Sinmint GSC seedling. The plant grew sure, only thing was it grew four inches in 2 days and then stopped growing until it died. This stuff is powerful... do plenty of research before you start using it. Now, GA3 makes an excellent folliary spray at about 200-400 ppm anything over 600 ppm is pushing your luck and not worth losing plants over. Using NAA an IBA can make an effective rooting agent as well as diluted into a foliary spray for flowering cycle. I've yet to experiment in the flowering cycle as I purposely leave my plants in a vegetative state. I've included a picture of the growth of shoots and bud sites.

It should be taken into consideration that using GA3 with a SCROG setup could yield large results. As soon as my Lemon OG gets to the size I've predetermined, then and only then can it go into flower and I'll start Scrog then. This data is based on the results that I've received thus far. Currently, I've set two clones aside that are plagued by mold to be experiments. I plan on trying to revive this plant with a unique phytohormone concentration I'm working on. If this experiment is a success, I may have found a solution to helping revive plants infected with other infestations.

I hope that my research so far can be useful to the masses. I'll upload photos in a few hours when I wake up. Please feel free to comment experiences and/or criticisms that could benefit the grower community tremendously. I'm excited that I can see the physical growth as it occurs. This allows me to properly document my findings photographically. Every grower has her or his own methodology and should by all means stick to it. However, I've found that when playing with hormones, lengthening or adding a dark period is beneficial. My current light schedule is back to 18/6 and my girls are loving it. Switched to pure perlite medium and I water when it feels dry. Sorry for the long thread and I plan on posting an infirmary thread to help with dampening off during germination and seedling stages as well as document some sickness I've noticed in stems.
Did you try playing them some music with the gibberlins?

Homesteader

Homesteader

I am curious to see this in action. Pricey though but OMRI listed. Can someone explain why there are two product that go by sea crop?

Sea Crop 16:
  • Increases crop yield by an average of 12-15%
  • Increases fruit size and set
  • Improves nutrient uptake and mobilization
  • Reduces leaching of nitrates and other nutrients from the soil
  • Significantly increases a plant's resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses like drought, cold, and pests
  • Promotes shoot growth and branching
  • Significantly enhances root proliferation and development
  • Increases nutritional quality of crops
  • Enhances seed germination and establishment
  • Prolongs the post-harvest shelf life of perishable products
  • Triggers the growth of beneficial soil microbes and secretion of soil conditioning substances by these microbes
  • Increases chlorophyll content
  • Triggers earlier fruit flowering and set
  • Increases the absorptive capacity of leaves
  • Increases antioxidant activity
  • Reduces the infection rates of fungal diseases
  • Delays senescence
https://www.biobasics.biz/products/sea-crop-16

cannabeans

cannabeans

Im trying to follow your progress but it wont let me view your stuff since you arent following me.
Careful now....Im following you. So when you see that shadow out of the corner of your eye.. That me...
When you have that feeling someone is watching you... Thats me...

cannabeans

cannabeans

One definite result... Low ppms (between 20 and 50 ppms ) will make a cucumber produce 99 % male flowers , which means no cucumbers ...

Top Bottom