GSC My 4th DWC Grow

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Hey everybody, hope the community is well. I was too busy to document my last grow but have some time now and will be posting throughout. I’ll post some pics up of my last one while I’m waiting to get the seedlings in the system.

seed germination with paper towel and ziplock bag on a seed starter mat.
36 hours 4 of 4 popped
Transfer to rapid root cubes today and placed back in the ziplock with a cfl

res setup is as follows
3 totes 15 gallons each
2 for the plants and the 3rd reservoir outside the tent allows me easy access to drain, check ph and ppm.

However during the last grow I didn’t have a pump circulating the water, I figured as the plants drink they will pull water from the other res, and they did but not as well as I would’ve liked. I found out that even though it was a closed system all three reservoirs had different ppm and ph levels.

this time I added a pump and a manifold to circulate the water from the outside res into the other 2 allowing for the water to turn over maybe once an hour.

I placed air stones in front of bulkhead openings that feed the water back to the outside res. My thoughts are that the air will push roots up and away from the bulkheads.
I also have a heater and sponge filter in the outside res.

Gsc my 4th dwc grow
Gsc my 4th dwc grow 2
Gsc my 4th dwc grow 3
Gsc my 4th dwc grow 4
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

I switched to led today. I know they aren’t top of the line but from what I read they are pretty ok. Maxisun mf 2000, they have meanwell drivers and Samsung 281.
I was running a dimmable 1000 w mh/hps at 400 during veg and 600 during flower, in addition to the light I was running I had to have the fan on full blast to keep it cool.

CACCFD6D 9C32 4416 8BA7 11FA1C17B3AD
8B4F64B6 ACCA 4EF1 B14F FA25229B5086
8C5B8885 49DA 480B AEBE A08325D5C193
4DE926E9 647B 4233 A00B EE08A559D9CC
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Just for my reference

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Just a quick update. Things seem to be going well. Started 2 more in my small tent. The one on the right is about a week behind, had a seed that didn’t pop. Going away for the weekend so hopefully nothing happens while I’m away 🤞

225A8AA8 D64A 45D6 BC01 79516C3BBD11
4C61D4A3 A0BC 46F1 B70A 352A5AF18AC6
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

I figure Phil and Glenn will keep an eye on things while I’m gone 🤣
Also ditched the heater. I forgot my pump heats the water a bit. Running around 73f in the reservoirs of the large tent around 68 in the small one due to that res being directly on the concrete.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Pretty sure I have root rot. @Aqua Man what enzymes do you recommend? I’ve been using hygrozyme any other options that are easier on the wallet?
I read your sticky for curing rot I have plenty of souther ag on hand but maybe only half a liter of enzymes, going to order more today but wanted your input first.

57B6B0F7 C205 4BB9 9504 1EE9624D072B
48A4300B 0CEF 4954 93ED 577970AF7D89
01DADFC4 FAC6 46A7 8651 DA7E31EEA54C
00846779 39E9 4FCA A75E 33738EE1CBFC
637A2A88 9A56 498F 83DD A9754FFDE070
80CA93AA 61BB 4E56 A061 B5582F45AEEC
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Pretty sure I have root rot. @Aqua Man what enzymes do you recommend? I’ve been using hygrozyme any other options that are easier on the wallet?
I read your sticky for curing rot I have plenty of souther ag on hand but maybe only half a liter of enzymes, going to order more today but wanted your input first.
Not bad if it is... could be air pruning a bit. What height is your water at in relation to the net pot? Yeah some ag fungicide at 1 ml per 20 gal. Top feed once a week from the res. You can bring the water up to the net post for a week to help with the contact.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Welp I was a little too cavalier when setting up the second tent and long story short I had some light leaks … again. I think I’ve got it fixed now. Picked up more hygrozyme too, are there any alternatives to hygro?
Not bad if it is... could be air pruning a bit. What height is your water at in relation to the net pot? Yeah some ag fungicide at 1 ml per 20 gal. Top feed once a week from the res. You can bring the water up to the net post for a week to help with the contact.
I had it at about an inch and after doing a res change and cleaning out all the slime I refilled it to the bottom of the net pot. Did the flushes on the roots as well.
I have a 30 gallon garbage can I use to store to water, I noticed that my air hose in the can was a bit slimy, any thoughts on running enzymes and ag in the can as a precaution?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Welp I was a little too cavalier when setting up the second tent and long story short I had some light leaks … again. I think I’ve got it fixed now. Picked up more hygrozyme too, are there any alternatives to hygro?

I had it at about an inch and after doing a res change and cleaning out all the slime I refilled it to the bottom of the net pot. Did the flushes on the roots as well.
I have a 30 gallon garbage can I use to store to water, I noticed that my air hose in the can was a bit slimy, any thoughts on running enzymes and ag in the can as a precaution?
Oh absolutely.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Phew what a day with the girls. I had light leaks on one res and the beginning of root rot. So I did the aquaman treatment on them. Today I decided I’d better check the other girls and it was worse than the other res. So I started the same treatment and many hours later I’m done. I ran out of ro water so I had to fill the last 5 gallons with well which has a ppm of 400. Cleaning and flushing out 3 reservoirs is some work let me tell ya. My back is killing me! I think I caught it early enough, just really pissed at myself, if I would’ve spent an extra 5 minutes double checking everything after the initial setup I would’ve saved myself so much time and effort. Ah well love and learn. The thing that gets me the most is I knew how important it was not to have any light in the res and some how still spaced it. After this hard learned lesson I feel confident I’ll never make that mistake again. 🤞

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Oh absolutely.
Cool thanks Aqua. I have been toying with the idea of setting up a 4x8 tent and have been doing research on light rails. But like with everything else there’s kind of a split in opinions.
I want to do 2 leds on a rail with 4x2 coverage each moving back and forth 2 feet.
what are your thoughts? Do light rails work or are they a gimmick ?

sedate

sedate

The foliage looks pretty nice in those pics can you snap a pic or three of the roots?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cool thanks Aqua. I have been toying with the idea of setting up a 4x8 tent and have been doing research on light rails. But like with everything else there’s kind of a split in opinions.
I want to do 2 leds on a rail with 4x2 coverage each moving back and forth 2 feet.
what are your thoughts? Do light rails work or are they a gimmick ?
They work. You can run lights closer and more intense with them. I have not used them personally but yeah I'm gonna say not needed but yes can be beneficial if used properly.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Update. Battling root rot due to light leaks. I’m not winning.
Can try this... good success but othing is a guarantee.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Just a quick update. I think the rot is gone or at least under control. I’m still running double strength southern ag and just started using pondzyme for enzymes. Ran about double strength of that too. Also added some epsom salt yesterday at 1 gram a gallon.

AA618129 7A8B 40DD B426 671EF9CBC393
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just a quick update. I think the rot is gone or at least under control. I’m still running double strength southern ag and just started using pondzyme for enzymes. Ran about double strength of that too. Also added some epsom salt yesterday at 1 gram a gallon.
Good stuff... awesome time-lapse, I love watching them start to perk up just before lights on and then drop just before lights out... awesome how they know thier cycles

Latest posts

Top Bottom