Half my plant looks like its dying

• Thread starter Tctroy111
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tctroy111

Tctroy111

I don't know why only this plant is looking half dead. There planted outside, it's about 7 ' tall. But half the branches are really green and looking good and the other is a light green and all droopy. But I think the sun hits that side of the plant the most. Any pointers to get it back looking good? Thanks
Half my plant looks like its dying
Half my plant looks like its dying 2
Half my plant looks like its dying 3
Half my plant looks like its dying 4
Half my plant looks like its dying 4

socks4free

socks4free

It's been very hot where you live? That's how some of my plants have been looking on the hottest days I'm thinking maybe the one side of the plant is shading the other side and it's not taking as much direct sunlight

Tctroy111

Tctroy111

So it's fine like that, should I be putting one water? Cause I don't want to over water. I put a bit every day that it doesn't rain. And it is hot here right now. Thanks for the replys

Tctroy111

Tctroy111

it’s in the ground?
don’t worry about overwatering.. gravity pulls it away
Yea that's what I was thinking but the look of this plant I didn't know if I was. So it's just the heat than and everything is fine then?🙂 it's 40 degrees Celsius here. And thanks again

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Check the branches of the sickly looking ones. It is possible they snapped a bit, but not enough to fall over. Weve had lots of storms here in Michigan with high winds and I have noticed some branches looking better than others and after inspection the sickly ones did in fact snap a bit.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Check the branches of the sickly looking ones. It is possible they snapped a bit, but not enough to fall over. Weve had lots of storms here in Michigan with high winds and I have noticed some branches looking better than others and after inspection the sickly ones did in fact snap a bit.
This is likely the problem. I was perplexed as to what the hell this could be but as soon as Mifarmer mentioned this the lightbulb went off. I saw the same problem last year when my outdoor plants got hammered by the raging desert winds we get here sometimes. All it takes is for the base of the leaf to rip off from the stalk a little bit and it prevents it from being able to intake water at the same pace. It's like a 50% capacity but not totally fallen off so it makes it look like its dying. Sucking up just enough for them not to totally dry out. Your girl will grow and be a beast by the end of the season so I would just nip all those water leaves off she will recover and grow new ones no problem.

Tctroy111

Tctroy111

Thanks for the advice, because we do get alot of wind here. but I don't see any cracks and I pulled on some limbs and the seem sturdy. But I'll keep an eye on that thanks

Tctroy111

Tctroy111

This is likely the problem. I was perplexed as to what the hell this could be but as soon as Mifarmer mentioned this the lightbulb went off. I saw the same problem last year when my outdoor plants got hammered by the raging desert winds we get here sometimes. All it takes is for the base of the leaf to rip off from the stalk a little bit and it prevents it from being able to intake water at the same pace. It's like a 50% capacity but not totally fallen off so it makes it look like its dying. Sucking up just enough for them not to totally dry out. Your girl will grow and be a beast by the end of the season so I would just nip all those water leaves off she will recover and grow new ones no problem.
OK maybe, it's a bit beast of a plant and we do get high winds here. And I'll have to surch to see what water leaves are, guessing the small leaves around the bud. Thanks

Tctroy111

Tctroy111

OK maybe, it's a bit beast of a plant and we do get high winds here. And I'll have to surch to see what water leaves are, guessing the small leaves around the bud. Thanks
Hey I just checked and the plant is loose in the ground. It is attached to a bamboo stick but should I put more so it doest fall over?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Hey I just checked and the plant is loose in the ground. It is attached to a bamboo stick but should I put more so it doest fall over?
Bingo! I think we found the problem. Cannabis plants have a trunk like stalk but at the very base there is this zone that is kind of a weak link. It is right where the roots all come together at the union point at the base of the stalk. What likely happened is the storm blew your plant so hard that it snapped a bit at this weak link at the base. When this happens your plant will kind of lean or flop to one side. So the way physics works think of it like drinking water up a straw. Plants are basically evolutionary straws that suck up water and nutrients to the leaves. So you know when you go to open a straw and you accidentally put a crack in it? You try to drink with it but its sucking up air bubbles through the crack so you loose water pressure. This exact same phenomenon has occurred with your plant. Only difference is the crack is in the trunk of your plant not a straw LOL 🤣. It's trying to suck up water like it was before but since it slightly cracked its loosing water pressure therefore its not able to suck up as much water as before. All living things have a main goal driving force and that is to reproduce and pass on its genetics to the next generation. Therefore the plant focuses the water that is can suck up to certain strategic areas of the plant. It reverts water from the main large photo leaves (often referred to as the big water leaves). These water leaves are expendable in the sense that they don't directly assist in the reproduction process. As plants get bigger and bigger they actually will start to yellow and drop lower water leaves naturally. So the plant basically says to itself "dam running out of viable water to uptake... Better dump some of these water leaves better them than loosing something else". This is why that is happening.

Now the solution is to definitely stake that plant up good and tight since it already has been weakened. Also I would visually inspect the base of the stock and see if you can see where the crack is. Is it above the soil line? A good way to help stabilize is get some more dirt and stack up a higher mound at the base of the stock. Also give the plant extra water during the next handful of days since its water uptake is being limited. The plant should be able to repair itself they are incredibly robust they are like us in the sense that they can heal and scar over a crack or wound. That crack should heal on its own it may take it a week or two to get back with the program. If the leaves start to wither and wilt go ahead and pluck them off. Good luck! 😎👍

Top Bottom