Handwatering techniques?

• Thread starter Rootbound
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Hi all, Just wanted to get a few ideas on how you guys go about handwatering containers or pots. Currently I mix up a one gallon container with nutes, then transfer into a smaller container (quart) and water the pots. Trying to water with a gallon jug is to bulky. I also have to stagger my pots apart to be able to reach around them. Do any of you guys use some type of a small pump with a wand attached to it to water your containers. The wand attachment would be very useful I would think. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .Thank you, RB

F

FastForward

Depends on how many plants you have to water, and what kind of drainage imho. Wands are great - just put one on the end of a hose with a pump on the end and you're away. Downside is it can take ages and you don't get to really flush the pot, unless you've got a really big saucer. I don't use a wand anymore... for most plants I now pull them out of the tent, put them on a bucket with a sieve over it, and water to runoff, then let drip, put back in tent on saucer. This is all with coco btw...prolly v. different for soil....also drippers rule.....or just use the dripper tray to collect runoff from hand topwatering if you've got the headroom (lazy farming ftw!)

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thanks FF, I just switched to Coco this run. Just trying to be as efficient as possible. RB

W

wellmedicated

I also take my plants out of my cab to look them over(I love those girls)and water them well.And as a machinist iknow the importance of a visual inspection.I run soil and I was thinking of trying a dripper system.I thought of a wand and i think it woukd work very well for soil.

H

hongkong

when theyre babies i get a tray with ridges in it and drill holes in the bottom of solo cups and just feed them from the bottom up. when they get bigger i usually will measure out my dry ferts, mix them with a bit of hot water, shake em up, then add the room temp water and liquid nutes, and just pour em in, making sure to get all around the bucket. i do them one at a time. when the mix is poured i grab the bucket and rotate/shake it to help evenly distribute the fert and to keep the soil even. also, usually if you have a decent amount of plants it is very advisable to drag them over to a drain and just do this all there. letting them sit for a few minutes after so they can all drain out. personally im usin a shower right now so i dont really worry! =)

samino

samino

Good way!

A good way is to use 1/2 inch hose or pvc with 1/4 vinyl couplers install (1 per plant).
Attach them to 1/4 inch hose.
Get a rubbermaid bin, drill a hole and install a connector.
Run the hose/pvc to the connector.
plug your pump to a timer.

First test how long it takes to saturate the pots, then you will know how much time to run the pump till it shuts off.
This would be more of a automated system. Just set it and forget it.

But if you like to check on them constantly, use the wand method as stated above.

mace

mace

Im in soil and mix my nuts as needed in garage. I then drag that shit upstairs to feed the plants by hand with a 1 cup measuring cup. Since using LED's only in my tent and Flouro's in the veg room, i don't have much moisture evap issues. So, it was necessary for me to find out how much water these plants needed on a measurable level.

F

flyingfish

Hey Rootbound wasup dude :joint:

I had some problems with watering myself last year ( bad back ) and finally settled on a five gallon water jug and a battery operated Kerosene pump

The hose gives ya about 2 ft of leeway and man its done wonders for my back and my plants

Oh yeah I mark off 1 gal increments on the jug to help mix smaller amounts of neuts up and also it helps to measure out the water for each plant so as not to over water ( anymore hehe )
101 5295

Peace

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I mix in 1 gallon milk jugs and then water with a 16 oz cup until runoff and in trays I use a turkey baster to suck out the runoff and put that into a empty 1 gallon jug . I will say I work way to hard with my technique LOL

O

ograskal

I mix in 1 gallon milk jugs and then water with a 16 oz cup until runoff and in trays I use a turkey baster to suck out the runoff and put that into a empty 1 gallon jug . I will say I work way to hard with my technique LOL

LOL...Damn Bro..We do the exact same thing to the T.....From the 1 gallon Jugz, 16oz cups and Turkey Baster..Funny shit!...~ogr

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I know people think we are crazy Raskal but I think this is the best way for total control and to have the best plants

F

frankie-smiles

Ha ha, i use 2 liter milk bottles, make up nutes into that, give a shake, water plants and use a big ass syringe to suck the run off outta the saucer. No ph meter or EC meter, just 4-8 ml of A+B and whatever boost per milk bottle depending what i think the plant wants (got few diff strains going) and since doing this i've never had such healthy plants and fat ass nugz. Just gives ya complete control of shit. Its funny cuz the more attention and work i put into trying to automate stuff and make things better, it just has the wrong effects. Simplicity rocks!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Great ideas guys!!! This is the kinda info I was looking for. With the switch to COCO, I am going to be alot busier I think!! Thanks Again Fellow Farmers!! RB

E

Easyrasta

Coco loves the automatic watering at set times, but if you are going to hand water,

i prefer to water them twice each time. i find that the first watering they run off rather quickly. i wait a few or water the next girls and come back a second time for a deeper water. really helps with small container.
peace
Ez

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
I pull the plants from the room, circle them around the floor drain and water them with gallon jugs..one per pot...then wait for them to drain, and put them back into the room. Oh, they're three gallon pots of soiless mix. It's work, but the plants get moved, spread out for growth, groomed, relocated and turned under the lights and such.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Christ allmighty, you guys go to town watering. water + Nutes + watering can, as Gordon ramsey might say "DONE"

L

Litemup

Use the gallon jug, get a length of 3/8 or so hose as long as your farthest plant, then get a 3/8 or 5/16 4' dowel from your home supply.
Tape the hose to the dowel with an inch or so off the end & use siphon action to start a flow and water away!!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Use the gallon jug, get a length of 3/8 or so hose as long as your farthest plant, then get a 3/8 or 5/16 4' dowel from your home supply.
Tape the hose to the dowel with an inch or so off the end & use siphon action to start a flow and water away!!

Great idea Litemup!!!! I have had tw0 back surgeries so that is the kinda method I am looking for. RB

D

drfarm

A calf forcefeeder, it holds two liters and measure marks. Have this but mostly just bucket and folgers can. The feeder tube has a shutoff like hospital crimpers. Feedstores sell them

Water
F

FastForward

Now that's fucking ingenious DrF!!! Drip bags for plants.... great work fella....gonna look into getting some. Absolutely brilliant. Major kudos/rep...

Top Bottom