hanging plants...how long is too long?

• Thread starter Natural
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

Been hanging them for about 10 days on average. let some hang for about 17 days and they smoke great. nothing ever seems to get over-dried with 45-50 rh and about 65-75 deg F.
So let's hear it..what's the longest you ever let a plant hang dry and what were the results?

Natural

Natural

wowow..now that's exactly the stuff I wanted to hear! thanks SM
I know that's how mom and pops used to do it..chop it hang it..then smoke on it all year long, while leaving it hang. Met another outdoor guy...and he lets them hang for months.

Last edited:
sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Yeah if you are in the right conditions that is the ideal way to preserve personal cannabis for me, in fact I quit trimming all my personal smoke just so when I pull down a branch the flowers are nice and fresh as opposed to decaying away in a jar. I have not gone a whole year but I have some cookies I havested 2 months ago that taste perfect and they are still hanging, so I don't doubt one can do it for a year. Steady temps are important in that scenario though.

Paperchase

Paperchase

so when u let them hang for a lng period of time is there still a nd to cure them or do u simply just pick off and roll ?

Last edited:
green punk

green punk

Yup. I leave em whole plant except maybe some big fan leaves on the line as long as I have a stable temp and humidity. I like to 65 to 70 F and 45 to 55 rh. When stuf starts fluctuating it can get a bit different. I have actually had some that had been hanging for 10 weeks or so and a week of rain moved in, and the rh jumped to like 80 in the room and the buds softened. So my thoughts are once you get them to that nice spot you prefer, turkey bag them or what ever your final storage method is.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Yup, alot of people dont realize you dont need containers to cure good meds. If you are in a sealed room with perfect RH and cool temps, the whole room just acts as a huge jar, or even better because it can be controlled. Under my dehuey I found a small branch of cookie in my dry room that was 8 months old. Smoked it, got me craxy ripped and still had that doughy flavor.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
GP makes a good point about varying conditions. I use my basement, and because it's got those vents the RH and temps can fluctuate a bit. In the future I would love to have a building dedicated to just my plants, and it would be sealed and controlled for RH and temps. My preferred drying RH is 50%-55%, with temps as low as possible. I've gotten excellent results during winters where the temps in the basement never rose above 55*, and IMO those are the best. For curing I like RH a bit higher, 60%-65%, with temps again as low as possible.

I once found a paper grocery bag of something I'd grown years prior and stashed in a hiding place, it was at least 2yo. I can't say it smoked great, because I didn't think the bud was that great, but it smoked well enough. I can't say it got me ripped because nothing gets me ripped anymore. That's why I like to use other people as my canaries.

ArealBoy

ArealBoy

This is what I was hoping to see. Old thread but it's good to know. I have had a plant hanging for roughly 10 months. A big girl too. I cut off all the good buds and jarred and cured them but then got lazy with the smaller ones. I look at it all the time and it still looks just as good as the day I cut it down minus some chlorophyll. I'm gonna have to give it a test now. I was just gonna throw it away even though it's got like 50 buds on it still. It's one of my favorite strains ChemPie from Ripper seeds. Amazing stuff. Musky. Gets the brain moving at hyper speed but locks the body to the couch. Good thinking strain.

strider26554

strider26554

I forgot about three plants i had hung up in a spare bedroom closet, harvest is a busy time and they gto forgotten until christmas, so three and a half months, the cure was doable and not tinder dry but overdry for sure.

bongsmoker421

bongsmoker421

Been hanging them for about 10 days on average. let some hang for about 17 days and they smoke great. nothing ever seems to get over-dried with 45-50 rh and about 65-75 deg F.
So let's hear it..what's the longest you ever let a plant hang dry and what were the results?
if im not mistaken. from stories past the process is just like cooking meat. low and slow. the longer you stretch out the drying and curing process, the bigger the reward smoke. only ideal for personal use, not industrial or commercial purposes. i heard majority of the times companies submit strains for awards that the specific specimen has been cured for months or even a year lol and with every bit of moisture preserved all the terps preserved, you can taste the weed with each hit as well has feel it's affects all while enjoying a smooth and flavorful smoke that sends you off like a rocket. i've never done this personally and have only read about it. someone pls confirm this ^^

ArealBoy

ArealBoy

if im not mistaken. from stories past the process is just like cooking meat. low and slow. the longer you stretch out the drying and curing process, the bigger the reward smoke. only ideal for personal use, not industrial or commercial purposes. i heard majority of the times companies submit strains for awards that the specific specimen has been cured for months or even a year lol and with every bit of moisture preserved all the terps preserved, you can taste the weed with each hit as well has feel it's affects all while enjoying a smooth and flavorful smoke that sends you off like a rocket. i've never done this personally and have only read about it. someone pls confirm this ^^
Oh yeah. I have several strains that have been curing in jars for over a year. Some haven't been opened in over 6 months or more and they are amazing still. I usually harvest about 8 or nine good sized plants for personal use every 4-6 months so I just have jars and jars of buds left from each harvest and I started growing about 2 years ago. I think today I will crack one from my march 2021 harvest. It definitely still has some dank smell and flavor. It's not too dry because I use moisture packs to keep a certain humidity in the jars. I don't see any signs of mold either so that's a relief. Definitely biggest fear.

E

EternalSun

This is one of the only threads I have found on the web, regarding the subject of how long can you hang plants.
This thread made me join and this is my first post here. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found the content extremely helpful.
I am going on twelve weeks hang time, and so far have found the product to be amazingly smooth and tasty. Temperature and humidity is whatever the weather brings. Averaging 20-50 degrees and 50-80%

Top Bottom