Happy holidays. New grower seeking some advice

• Thread starter dezahp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dezahp

dezahp

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I've been doing a ton of reading and research beforehand so I'm not just asking people things that I can look up myself. Some background info on my indoor grow room is I will be running gelato strain with 4x 1000 Gavita HPS lights. I will upgrade to LEDs after my first harvest to most likely HLG 600 V2 Rspec. I'm still on the fence if I want to hand water or autofeed for my first grow. I will be starting off with Fox Farm Ocean Forest and I will be mixing it with some Perlite and Dolomite Lime. One of the other popular things I've also seen is people adding Cal Mag and Epsom Salt. If I'm already adding Dolomite, I'm guessing adding Epsom Salt is overkill? And does it hurt to add Cal Mag also or is it just redundant/unneeded? Or maybe starting a teaspoon of Cal Mag around week 5-6 when I may need to start adding nutes.

Another question I have is about my water which kind of ties in with my first question. I will be using tap water since the waste of RO water kind of really bothers me. I bought a TDS meter today to measure the PPM in my tap water and it came out to be 20 PPM. I read that 50-70 ppm is perfect so do you guys think 20 PPM would be too low? My initial plan was to feed water only and start adding nutes and Cal Mag around week 5-6 when I need to start adding it.

Also I've been trying to think of placements for my hygrometers. I bought some wifi hygrometers so that I can keep track of temps and humidity even if I'm not home. I will place one high up on the wall above the light line and one around canopy level. I will hang the canopy level one with a fishing line but do you guys have any suggestions how to keep the hygrometer out of direct sun light so it doesn't cause it to fail or have false readings?

Last edited:
Oldguy71

Oldguy71

20 ppm tap water is great. You could add cal mag to bring the ppms up to 50 or so but foff is pretty hot. I think I’d do just ph’ed water for the first 3-4 weeks.
You could make a little paper cone to slide down the fishing line to act as a shade for the hygrometer? Just a thought

dezahp

dezahp

20 ppm tap water is great. You could add cal mag to bring the ppms up to 50 or so but foff is pretty hot. I think I’d do just ph’ed water for the first 3-4 weeks.
You could make a little paper cone to slide down the fishing line to act as a shade for the hygrometer? Just a thought

Oh, ok thanks for the suggestion! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll try making like a little paper or cardboard cone.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I don’t know if the cone will work. I just came up with it.

dezahp

dezahp

I'll give it a shot unless I find any other suggestions. Just want to make sure the direct light on the sensor doesn't cause it to fail or have crazy readings.

dezahp

dezahp

Just picked up my clones tonight. They're looking super healthy! I was also able to hop on a super good deal on some HLG 600 V2 Rspec LEDs so I'm pretty excited. I might still run the Gavita 1000w HPS just for the winter to help keep the room warm and switch over to the LEDs later in the Spring.

PXL 20201201 034804636
Ther0sis

Ther0sis

I've been growing for a minute. Been using fox farm ocean mix for 10 years. I never add anything. I use al fox farm nutrition products. Remember less is more. I average 2 1/2 oz a plant on indoor grow. Usually more. Just cut about 3 oz dried and cured. From a zkittles. Less is more.
20201211 155015

dezahp

dezahp

I've been growing for a minute. Been using fox farm ocean mix for 10 years. I never add anything. I use al fox farm nutrition products. Remember less is more. I average 2 1/2 oz a plant on indoor grow. Usually more. Just cut about 3 oz dried and cured. From a zkittles. Less is more.View attachment 1066382

Nice, that's awesome. I think I will try a few plants with a FFOF recipe next batch. If you can make things simpler and easier for yourself while still maintaining that quality and quantity then why not? Right now im starting off with Sunshine mix #4 and using GH flora trio with Silica, Rapid Start, and Cal Mag in my veg stage right now. Will need to top soon

PXL 20201212 000353226
ArrEll

ArrEll

I've been growing for a minute. Been using fox farm ocean mix for 10 years. I never add anything. I use al fox farm nutrition products. Remember less is more. I average 2 1/2 oz a plant on indoor grow. Usually more. Just cut about 3 oz dried and cured. From a zkittles. Less is more.View attachment 1066382

I'm currently using both FF Happy Frog AND Ocean Forest soil, and I can testify that the soil provides enough nutrients, possibly for a full grow (I've also read that elsewhere). I'm at Day 39 of this grow and just bought a better LED light - 1200 watts with a Dimmer switch. It's in the box at my feet, and being installed today. Should help, with the Flowering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom