Hard Black Ash (no “bro” science plz)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

My buddy just grew out some Granddaddy Purp. Stuff almost black. Once the trichs turned milky it was time for his flush. He contacts me whining about poor genetics because the drying buds broke up into individual budlets.

“They were really firm and now this!” Yet he regularly comments about the size of the buds I harvest. He absolutely refuses to believe that starving a plant for 2 weeks results in something other than great. The entire idea behind flushing is ridiculous.

growsince79

growsince79

No it does not, and the halflife of chlorophyll is actually fairly quick. People don't flush living soil and they start growing again in the the minute they harvest. Flushing is the epedimy of bro science.
You are so wrong. Soil types and nutrients(or lack of) have a huge impact on taste. Flushing/starving plants make the leaves turn tellow. That's because the chlorophyll is breaking down.

growsince79

growsince79

My buddy just grew out some Granddaddy Purp. Stuff almost black. Once the trichs turned milky it was time for his flush. He contacts me whining about poor genetics because the drying buds broke up into individual budlets.

“They were really firm and now this!” Yet he regularly comments about the size of the buds I harvest. He absolutely refuses to believe that starving a plant for 2 weeks results in something other than great. The entire idea behind flushing is ridiculous.
The idea that soil types and nutrients (or lack of) doesn't affect taste seems ridiculous to me.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

The idea that soil types and nutrients (or lack of) doesn't affect taste seems ridiculous to me.
Name one other crop that is flushed. Then explain why cannabis should be some lone species needing to be flushed.

S

sammyknows

What’s this supposed to be? I don’t see any pics

Theory of Water Activity​

Water activity is defined as the energy status of water in a system and is rooted in the fundamental laws of thermodynamics through Gibb’s free energy equation (1). It represents the relative chemical potential energy of water as dictated by the surface, colligative, and capillary interactions in a matrix. Practically, it is measured as the partial vapor pressure of water in a headspace that is at equilibrium with the sample, divided by the saturated vapor pressure of water at the same temperature. The water activity covers a range of 0 for bone dry conditions up to a water activity of 1.00 for pure water, resulting from the partial pressure and the saturated pressure being equal. Water activity is often referred to as the “free water” and while useful when referring to higher energy, it is incorrect since “free” is not scientifically defined and is interpreted differently depending on the context. As a result, the concept of free water can cause confusion between the physical binding of water, a quantitative measurement, and the chemical binding of water to lower energy, a qualitative measurement. Rather than a water activity of 0.50 indicating 50% free water, it more correctly indicates that the water in the product has 50% of the energy that pure water would have in the same situation. The lower the water activity, the less the water in the system behaves like pure water.

Water activity is measured by equilibrating the liquid phase water in the sample with the vapor phase water in the headspace of a closed chamber and measuring the equilibrium relative humidity (ERH) in the headspace using a sensor (2). The relative humidity can be determined using a resistive electrolytic sensor, a chilled mirror sensor, or a capacitive hygroscopic polymer sensor. Instruments from companies such as Novasina utilize an electrolytic sensor to determine the ERH inside a sealed chamber containing the sample. Changes in ERH are tracked by changes in the electrical resistance of the electrolyte sensor. The advantage of this approach is that it is very stable and resistant to inaccurate readings because of contamination, a particular weakness of the chilled mirror sensor. The resistive electrolytic sensor can achieve the highest level of accuracy and precision with no maintenance and infrequent calibration.

While water activity is an intensive property that provides the energy of the water in a system, moisture content is an extensive property that determines the amount of moisture in a product. Water activity and moisture content, while related, are not the same measurement. Moisture content is typically determined through loss-on-drying as the difference in weight between a wet and dried sample. While useful as a measurement of purity and a standard of identity, as this paper will describe, moisture content does not correlate as well as water activity with microbial growth, chemical stability, or physical stability. Water activity and moisture content are related through the moisture sorption isotherm.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Yeah, I‘m not sure about the nitrogen but I guess it’s pretty widely used. It’s called Herculean Harvest. I assume it’s better to use along with the whole rest of the line but I know there’s others that use it with different lines. I’ll be running the same line though.

I think youre right about 4-6 weeks jarred. I’ve noticed that even now, exactly 1 week and 1 day from when I jarred this test branch (which was mature, it was the top cola on a natural grow with no training) that up until yesterday and today the bud has been really harsh but all of the sudden it’s gotten 10x smoother and is burning quite a bit easier now. Can’t wait to see if a couple more weeks translate the smell into taste, because it smells incredible.
a few of us have a whole nectar thread going if you want to check it out. Herc harvest is amazing stuff, i have been using it and most of the line for a few years now. I love it

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Theory of Water Activity​

Water activity is defined as the energy status of water in a system and is rooted in the fundamental laws of thermodynamics through Gibb’s free energy equation (1). It represents the relative chemical potential energy of water as dictated by the surface, colligative, and capillary interactions in a matrix. Practically, it is measured as the partial vapor pressure of water in a headspace that is at equilibrium with the sample, divided by the saturated vapor pressure of water at the same temperature. The water activity covers a range of 0 for bone dry conditions up to a water activity of 1.00 for pure water, resulting from the partial pressure and the saturated pressure being equal. Water activity is often referred to as the “free water” and while useful when referring to higher energy, it is incorrect since “free” is not scientifically defined and is interpreted differently depending on the context. As a result, the concept of free water can cause confusion between the physical binding of water, a quantitative measurement, and the chemical binding of water to lower energy, a qualitative measurement. Rather than a water activity of 0.50 indicating 50% free water, it more correctly indicates that the water in the product has 50% of the energy that pure water would have in the same situation. The lower the water activity, the less the water in the system behaves like pure water.

Water activity is measured by equilibrating the liquid phase water in the sample with the vapor phase water in the headspace of a closed chamber and measuring the equilibrium relative humidity (ERH) in the headspace using a sensor (2). The relative humidity can be determined using a resistive electrolytic sensor, a chilled mirror sensor, or a capacitive hygroscopic polymer sensor. Instruments from companies such as Novasina utilize an electrolytic sensor to determine the ERH inside a sealed chamber containing the sample. Changes in ERH are tracked by changes in the electrical resistance of the electrolyte sensor. The advantage of this approach is that it is very stable and resistant to inaccurate readings because of contamination, a particular weakness of the chilled mirror sensor. The resistive electrolytic sensor can achieve the highest level of accuracy and precision with no maintenance and infrequent calibration.

While water activity is an intensive property that provides the energy of the water in a system, moisture content is an extensive property that determines the amount of moisture in a product. Water activity and moisture content, while related, are not the same measurement. Moisture content is typically determined through loss-on-drying as the difference in weight between a wet and dried sample. While useful as a measurement of purity and a standard of identity, as this paper will describe, moisture content does not correlate as well as water activity with microbial growth, chemical stability, or physical stability. Water activity and moisture content are related through the moisture sorption isotherm.
Look at thread title it says no bro science please

Top Bottom