Hard Black Ash (no “bro” science plz)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

curing is to improve shelf life the flavor thing is subjective
Curing is to make the product enjoyable and acceptable. Around here people ain’t afraid to tell you “it ain’t right yet” or “it’s harsh”. Come back 2 months later with the same bud and their like “you grew this?” or “shits fire”. If the weed taste good off the vine it’s going to taste better down the road

S

sammyknows

Curing is to make the product enjoyable and acceptable. Around here people ain’t afraid to tell you “it ain’t right yet” or “it’s harsh”. Come back 2 months later with the same bud and their like “you grew this?” or “shits fire”. If the weed taste good off the vine it’s going to taste better down the road
the longer you dry the more monoterps evaporate. so 3 weeks in I can see how you need 2 months to cure in a jar to get nose. You can put the branches after drying not crammed in totes and burp once or twice a day.

Dothraki

Dothraki

If you suck at rolling joints you can also have a dark burning ash. It must be you..
I haven’t rolled any joints...you must be projecting your own inadequacies on others 🤣

It a bad dry/cure, not the flush. Flushing is 100% bro-science.

You dried it too fast probaby, and leaving it out in low humidity is a bad idea. Was that documented somewhere? 60F @ 60%RH for 12'ish days. 10-14 days roughly. Varries per grow.
I definitely did dry it a little too fast, but now 2 weeks after they are burning much better and only a slight harshness. I think there’s still too much chlorophyll and other sugars that need to break down. I‘m betting (based on the progression rate) in 2 more weeks they will be a goddamn pleasure to smoke. Lol.

Man if I ridiculed everything I‘ve smoked from dispensaries like I am with my harvested stuff I would’ve been asking for a lot of refunds lol. First grow and already surpassed the dispensaries quality in every department (once cured especially)....why the hell isn’t EVERYONE just growing their own!?!?

Dothraki

Dothraki

a few of us have a whole nectar thread going if you want to check it out. Herc harvest is amazing stuff, i have been using it and most of the line for a few years now. I love it
Cool yeah I’ll look for it. I’m still debating using my hard ass tap water. I’ll probably get started in a week or 2. I ordered the sample kit but thinking of grabbing anything else that translates to quality taste/terps etc. Not a care for yield though. I give no shits about yield.

Dothraki

Dothraki

the longer you dry the more monoterps evaporate. so 3 weeks in I can see how you need 2 months to cure in a jar to get nose. You can put the branches after drying not crammed in totes and burp once or twice a day.
Right now I’m smoking some Blue Magoo that I’ve been curing for a little over a year. Not something I grew...it was the Blue Magoo clone. Already dried and cured well, then I kept it going. It’s some of the smoothest smoke you can get and the flavor is straight up blueberry. Still smells like blueberry too. But it’s surely not green anymore lol. But damn over 1 year cure is amazing. 6 months is prime though IMO.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Cool yeah I’ll look for it. I’m still debating using my hard ass tap water. I’ll probably get started in a week or 2. I ordered the sample kit but thinking of grabbing anything else that translates to quality taste/terps etc. Not a care for yield though. I give no shits about yield.
Tritons is probably tbe best thing to add for terps. You will also need alot more herc . The sample pack is a really great way ro get started

Dothraki

Dothraki

Tritons is probably tbe best thing to add for terps. You will also need alot more herc . The sample pack is a really great way ro get started
Awesome thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to pick some up before I get started and join up with you guys in the nectar thread.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

If you want honestly one of the best things for your grow that not only helps the plant to be more hardy to environmental stress and overall conditions but dosent stop there increases oils/thc production and terps add (CHITOSAN) if you could find agricultural grade way way way cheap compared to buying "bud factor X" or "chitosal" makes the plant think it's being attached by a pest or infestation and encourages the defense mechanism of the plant to produce more terpenes oil and the thc content goes up.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
re: Chitosan

doesnt this stuff increase terps/trichomes at the cost of bud/flower development? That's why it's been a hard pass for me.

growsince79

growsince79

If you want honestly one of the best things for your grow that not only helps the plant to be more hardy to environmental stress and overall conditions but dosent stop there increases oils/thc production and terps add (CHITOSAN) if you could find agricultural grade way way way cheap compared to buying "bud factor X" or "chitosal" makes the plant think it's being attached by a pest or infestation and encourages the defense mechanism of the plant to produce more terpenes oil and the thc content goes up.
I grew a certain clone for several years without a nanner. When attacked by spider mites it hermed.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

If we always stuck to our old ways we wouldnt learn and may pass up good info for ourselves and others i highly recommend it used in cannabis and agriculture for a reson

"Chitosan™ enhances plant survival and yield in times of heat or cold stress and drought. When foliar-applied to crops it allows the plants to grow with less water. Exogenous application of Chitosan™ has also been shown to accelerate growth and germination as well as improve the quality of flowers and fruit."

jguit

jguit

Supporter
If we always stuck to our old ways we wouldnt learn and may pass up good info for ourselves and others i highly recommend it used in cannabis and agriculture for a reson

"Chitosan™ enhances plant survival and yield in times of heat or cold stress and drought. When foliar-applied to crops it allows the plants to grow with less water. Exogenous application of Chitosan™ has also been shown to accelerate growth and germination as well as improve the quality of flowers and fruit."
Is this true for cannabis? I've always read that flower and bud development suffer.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Is this true for cannabis? I've always read that flower and bud development suffer.

It's up there I got amazing results but I refuse to pay $90 a litre for water "bud factor X" is a good product mainly thanks to the chitisan but cost nothing to produce compared to retail price the results that it aids In and benefits seen in the end product it's safe and won't stress the plant does the opposite and builds protection and pushes the plant to its true potential

Dothraki

Dothraki

Hey all just wanted to report back

Ashes are burning white now after slowly drying in the jars for a couple weeks after a good initial 10 day dry. Black charred ash seems to be specifically related to moisture content. I’m sure there are some nasty PGRs that can cause it too...but I doubt anyone here would be using that crap so for anyone else wondering....

After my initial dry, I let some buds dry on a table out in the open until they were almost dust and still didn’t burn right. But after slow drying and curing a little bit for over 2 weeks, they are now starting to burn a lot nicer and finally getting that nice white ash.

My conclusion would be both moisture content and sugars being broke down by enzymes in the flower both leading to a nice burn (bowl stays lit now for a few hits and doesn’t just go out right away) and nice white ash. It’s still improving every day too. Harshness is disappearing too. I’m testing a bowl of the Pineapple right now first smoke of the day and it’s really not harsh at all.

Ponky

Ponky

Hey all just wanted to report back

Ashes are burning white now after slowly drying in the jars for a couple weeks after a good initial 10 day dry. Black charred ash seems to be specifically related to moisture content. I’m sure there are some nasty PGRs that can cause it too...but I doubt anyone here would be using that crap so for anyone else wondering....

After my initial dry, I let some buds dry on a table out in the open until they were almost dust and still didn’t burn right. But after slow drying and curing a little bit for over 2 weeks, they are now starting to burn a lot nicer and finally getting that nice white ash.

My conclusion would be both moisture content and sugars being broke down by enzymes in the flower both leading to a nice burn (bowl stays lit now for a few hits and doesn’t just go out right away) and nice white ash. It’s still improving every day too. Harshness is disappearing too. I’m testing a bowl of the Pineapple right now first smoke of the day and it’s really not harsh at all.
Moisture. It decides how the joint burns.

Top Bottom