Hard water.

• Thread starter JustBecouse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JustBecouse

I was reading one of the posts about hard to soft water and it got me thinking "I have hard water, and whats the difference." I've grown before just for a hobbie and it all worked out ok i didn't get a pound per plant or anything but i still pulled a few ounces per. How bad could it hurt a plant? What is in well water thats bad? and would pond water be bad? it's gotta have a tune of crap in it, it smells faintly of dead fish.

darkmatter

darkmatter

im not a expert,however i say dont sweat it if its workin ,fine.there are few hundred doller filter thingies.i tink you could let your water sit a day or two in a tub ,you can add some air stones running before you use it and it will be a little better.you could use pond water,i guess the cons are possible buggs and if its super clean,maybe youve got some holy water or something.you could do a rain barrel and use it.just keep on hard rockin till you can score a reverse filter when you wanna go pro.and im sure better advise is on the way.

true grit

true grit

Heres what I've found to work best if you can get it- Ozarka Natural Spring Water, get the Spring Water not the Drinking Water or Distilled. Plants love it and its PH'd at 6.0 to 6.5 every time. Not to mention its only $2 for 2.5 gallons.

J

JustBecouse

Thanks, i guess that seddles things.. I need to start by getting a PH meter.. I don't know what my water is at now, but i should start there.

N

Nuglover

Hard water just means your water has alot of minerals in it(higher ppm than RO or distilled water). I'm on well water myself. I was only using distilled water but wasn't getting enough micros from my nutes so I started 50/50 well/distilled and my girls really dig it. I need a RO filter...but then again, I need alot of stuff.LOL

D

diezelburner

Hey guys I'm on well water to and its hard as hell. Now I haven't started a grow yet but this is one issue I'm gona have to tackle chicken louie. I was going to install a water softner and a RO filter but I'm kind of worried It might cause even more problems. So how bad is hard water for plants?

I

ireyites

I use nothing but rain water, perfect PH and its free.

using hard well water as well - thinking about cleaning an old plastic garbage can i got laying around and letting it collect rain water - i use coco-wet a type of wetting agent that has helped Me out espescially when misting- no rust spots or prizms:rock

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
The water is around me is pretty hard, usually around 450ppm out of the tap, but i've seen it as high as 600ppm. So i bought an RO filter. Then i had some weird water issue, so i bought a UV sterilizer. Lol....does it ever end?!

Fast forward to today.... I'm rocking a 300 gpd (gallon per day) RO filter that fills into a large Brute can, where the heat is maintained with a submersible water heat, and it's kept clean and steril with an 18watt air-powered UV sterilizer.

Top Bottom