Harvesting according to Genetics/ strain dominance?

• Thread starter SwoleGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Since there aren’t any dumb questions..
I’ve read about ripening & harvesting, But I have a thought (excuse me if it’s been discussed before), but why don’t we harvest according to the genetics of the plant.?
Say we have a 70/30 Sativa. It seems right to me to harvest when 70% are cloudy, leaving 30% to be amber. Or we have a 70/30 Indica that would get harvested when trich’s are 70% cloudy and 30% amber...
Seens like this would give you a true feel of the strain.
Just thinking out loud. Join in if you’d like

BigCube

BigCube

Since there aren’t any dumb questions..
I’ve read about ripening & harvesting, But I have a thought (excuse me if it’s been discussed before), but why don’t we harvest according to the genetics of the plant.?
Say we have a 70/30 Sativa. It seems right to me to harvest when 70% are cloudy, leaving 30% to be amber. Or we have a 70/30 Indica that would get harvested when trich’s are 70% cloudy and 30% amber...
Seens like this would give you a true feel of the strain.
Just thinking out loud. Join in if you’d like

What does harvesting by the genetics of the plant even mean? Depending on many factors, light, heat, light quality, nutrients, soil, watering schedule ect.. any given plant can be days or weeks away from anything genetics dictate.

Its nature vrs nurture. Nature only gets you so far, the rest is how you've treated it. Like a child with all the best genetics can be a useless shit that ends up ruining their life due to their shitty upbringing. So to is the plant subject to its environment, and all its factors that you control.

All you have to do is look at the plant to know when to harvest. I fail to see how any other method, genetics included, would be better in any way.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

What does harvesting by the genetics of the plant even mean? Depending on many factors, light, heat, light quality, nutrients, soil, watering schedule ect.. any given plant can be days or weeks away from anything genetics dictate.

Its nature vrs nurture. Nature only gets you so far, the rest is how you've treated it. Like a child with all the best genetics can be a useless shit that ends up ruining their life due to their shitty upbringing. So to is the plant subject to its environment, and all its factors that you control.

All you have to do is look at the plant to know when to harvest. I fail to see how any other method, genetics included, would be better in any way.
Did you even read the post or just the title?

BigCube

BigCube

Did you even read the post or just the title?

Oh I read the entire post. But thing is, it makes even less sense than the question I answered.

A number of things we know:

The % of indica/sativa of any given strain is basically made up. Everything is so far from 100% indica or sativa, it's almost impossible to accurately tell what the actual %'s are.

Amber tricombes are degraded tricombes, and are less potent than milky tricombes

With those things in mind. It seems pretty arbitrary to be assigning values to things as if that's how they are ment to be.

Why 70% milky and 30% amber? Why not 70% amber and 30% milky? Why not 70% milky and 30% clear?
What if they call it 50/50? You going to wait for 50% of your tricombes to degrade before you harvest?

None of it even makes sense, in the light of the evidence. It's all arbitrary. So I answered the only question that made sense from a genetic standpoint.

You harvest when you see what you like in a plant. For me, when the majority of the tricombes are milky, it's time to chop. Regardless of how many tricombes are amber. When the cannabis will be at its strongest. I would be happy to never see a single amber tricomb.

I'm not going to wait for half of my tricombes to degrade before I chop, cause someone said the strain is 50/50.
That's just silly.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Oh I read the entire post. But thing is, it makes even less sense than the question I answered.

A number of things we know:

The % of indica/sativa of any given strain is basically made up. Everything is so far from 100% indica or sativa, it's almost impossible to accurately tell what the actual %'s are.

Amber tricombes are degraded tricombes, and are less potent than milky tricombes

With those things in mind. It seems pretty arbitrary to be assigning values to things as if that's how they are ment to be.

Why 70% milky and 30% amber? Why not 70% amber and 30% milky? Why not 70% milky and 30% clear?
What if they call it 50/50? You going to wait for 50% of your tricombes to degrade before you harvest?

None of it even makes sense, in the light of the evidence. It's all arbitrary. So I answered the only question that made sense from a genetic standpoint.

You harvest when you see what you like in a plant. For me, when the majority of the tricombes are milky, it's time to chop. Regardless of how many tricombes are amber. When the cannabis will be at its strongest. I would be happy to never see a single amber tricomb.

I'm not going to wait for half of my tricombes to degrade before I chop, cause someone said the strain is 50/50.
That's just silly.
That was an answer I can ride with. Not your previous statement though. And as far as silly, I wouldn’t consider it that either. I’m trying to learn & had a thought that I wanted to further understand, so I asked. I won’t stay ignorant to that I don’t know & I’ll ask until I find what I’m looking for. So just for future reference if you see a post of mine and find it silly it’s cool to skip over it. I won’t be upset.
Thanks for the explanation though. Makes sense now that you explained the percentages.

BigCube

BigCube

That was an answer I can ride with. Not your previous statement though. And as far as silly, I wouldn’t consider it that either. I’m trying to learn & had a thought that I wanted to further understand, so I asked. I won’t stay ignorant to that I don’t know & I’ll ask until I find what I’m looking for. So just for future reference if you see a post of mine and find it silly it’s cool to skip over it. I won’t be upset.
Thanks for the explanation though. Makes sense now that you explained the percentages.

Never said your question was silly, only that if you follow the reasoning outlined in the question, it leads to silly conclusions.

Its difficult and most times impossible to point out the flaws in someone's reasoning without offending them, for this I apologize. That was not my intention.

In the future, I'll do what I want. Just like I do now 🤣 I suggest dealing with me answering a question you didn't ask every now and then or click on my name and ignore all content from me. Whatever you choose, I'll be happy with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom