Harvesting multiple times in a season?

• Thread starter Kuba
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kuba

Kuba

Hey y'all

So I'm getting ready for the next growing season and was looking into the possibilities of planting and harvesting two rounds of plants, outdoors. From my limited experience I noticed it takes about 15-ish weeks for a plant to finish outdoors, and to me it seems like this would make it very difficult to get 2 good harvests in my (colder) climate. Now I'm wondering if anyone else out there (specifically in the northern climates) has done this, and if so whether or not it was a success, if it was worth the time and effort and what things to look at/account for.

Thanks in advance and much love

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm not an outdoor grower, but I think the short answer is no unless you have a greenhouse and supplemental lighting.

Probably easier to plant more at one time in a bigger plot than to harvest twice per season.

Kuba

Kuba

I'm not an outdoor grower, but I think the short answer is no unless you have a greenhouse and supplemental lighting.

Probably easier to plant more at one time in a bigger plot than to harvest twice per season.
well I do have a greenhouse, but that probably wouldn't be enough then? anyway thanks for the reply and help!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Inside growers use an 18 hour light on, 6 hour off schedule because it jams an extra 6 hours of light into the plant, and usually at higher levels than the sun.
This makes the plant grow faster and need much less time to get ready for flower mode. When it is changed to flower mode, the plant is returned to it's natural 12/12 light schedule. This tricks it into thinking fall is here and it produces bud faster.
You can feed them certain things to enhance different parts of the grow.
Indoors, we can harvest monthly if we want.

Kuba

Kuba

Inside growers use an 18 hour light on, 6 hour off schedule because it jams an extra 6 hours of light into the plant, and usually at higher levels than the sun.
This makes the plant grow faster and need much less time to get ready for flower mode. When it is changed to flower mode, the plant is returned to it's natural 12/12 light schedule. This tricks it into thinking fall is here and it produces bud faster.
You can feed them certain things to enhance different parts of the grow.
Indoors, we can harvest monthly if we want.
Well I'm sure its not monthly, that would be impossible, unless running multiple setups or sum. And yeh I totally get it grows faster that's why I wasn't sure about the double rotation outdoor

Anthem

Anthem

You can do 2. I have done 3 1/2 in a green house. You will need to make or buy some sort of a cover for the green house that is light proof and it will have to come on and off every day at about the same time. Secondly, you will need to supplement light to get you to at least 16 hours of light. The supplemental light does not have to be super strong but the stronger the better. It is easiest to start the plants in doors and take them outside when temps come around. You will need to have at least 1 air change every minute and 2 a minute is better. Greenhouses get hot. The further into the cold weather you run the harder it gets to keep mold at bay. So I would probably just shoot for 2 harvests but you better get seeds in the soil now

Kuba

Kuba

You can do 2. I have done 3 1/2 in a green house. You will need to make or buy some sort of a cover for the green house that is light proof and it will have to come on and off every day at about the same time. Secondly, you will need to supplement light to get you to at least 16 hours of light. The supplemental light does not have to be super strong but the stronger the better. It is easiest to start the plants in doors and take them outside when temps come around. You will need to have at least 1 air change every minute and 2 a minute is better. Greenhouses get hot. The further into the cold weather you run the harder it gets to keep mold at bay. So I would probably just shoot for 2 harvests but you better get seeds in the soil now
I think you're talking about photoperiods right? my bad i shoulda been more specific in my original post, i was gonna try 2 rotations of autoflowers, one starting mid march and second one around june so that hopefully i am done by the end of september. I also would have the possibility to start em under some lamps at a friends house, which would also add a couple weeks to my total grow time. Does that sound doable to you at all? and would it be worth the hassle? ps what did you mean by air change per minute? thanks for the help in advance

Anthem

Anthem

I think you're talking about photoperiods right? my bad i shoulda been more specific in my original post, i was gonna try 2 rotations of autoflowers, one starting mid march and second one around june so that hopefully i am done by the end of september. I also would have the possibility to start em under some lamps at a friends house, which would also add a couple weeks to my total grow time. Does that sound doable to you at all? and would it be worth the hassle? ps what did you mean by air change per minute? thanks for the help in advance
I have never ran autos so I cannot help you. I want to say I put plants outside in Mid March that were teens and finish by the end of June or first week of July. It has been some time. I do not know how worth it it would be with autos because I was under the impression they tend to yield less. The whole thing is a pain in the ass. You have to take the tarps off at the same time every single day of flower and such. I would not think about doing it again.

Kuba

Kuba

I have never ran autos so I cannot help you. I want to say I put plants outside in Mid March that were teens and finish by the end of June or first week of July. It has been some time. I do not know how worth it it would be with autos because I was under the impression they tend to yield less. The whole thing is a pain in the ass. You have to take the tarps off at the same time every single day of flower and such. I would not think about doing it again.
I don't think you gotta do anything with tarps when it comes to auto's right? that's only for photos for light deprivation. And yeh I would much rather grow photos but I tried it last year and it just doesn't do well in my climate, autos on the other hand seem to give me a steady 2,5 to 3 ounces without much problems.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We have some autos that we run 18/6 their whole lives and we harvest them in 3 months.

Top Bottom