Has anyone ever tried a Under Current grow with Smart pots and coco/soil like is show in these pics?

• Thread starter Dojoking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dojoking

I am interested in this system and after doing some research I found these pics on the Under Current facebook page. Since I would like to try a mostly organic approach to growing I was wondering if something like this will work for the Under Current system? Obviously they are using it in the photo but there were no comments as to whether this is a viable option where I found them.

Under current Under current 2

dmob

dmob

there's an under current fb page? lol (i don't use fb but that just seems too funny to me!). undercurrent is a sick growing system tho....

D

Dojoking

There is a facebook page for almost any company you might have an interest in. Some have good info and some don't but its worth checking out if you are doing some research.

deacon1503

deacon1503

It's tricky but doable u just have to draw the roots down through the smarty using the water level to saturate the bottom of the pot. Once the majority of root tips are at water level u should be good to maintain normal water level in the module.

D

Dojoking

Thanks for the reply Deacon. Have you seen anyone do this here on thcfarmer.com? I would love to check out their thread if so. I have already searched quite a bit on here and not found anything. Thanks again.

D

Dojoking

Also, I have noticed that the water sets a few inches below the net pot in most of the threads I have seen on here. Do you think a mostly soil mixture in the smart pot would hold to much moisture and create a stem rot situation? I could always go the coco route but i would rather have more soil than anything if at all possible.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Once your plants are rocking in your UC the medium used above the water line is not being used like it would in a regular soil grow. Most of your plant food source will be from the stew flowing through your system. When I do coco in my net pots I stack the bottom with stones before the coco. I would imagine if using the smart pots you would do the same to keep from consistently drenching your soil. Like when i do coco in my UC I would get that plant well rooted in your pot before entering your UC so those roots can feel that water below once put into the UC. That would help from having to top feed too much while starting in the UC. In my experience I have found faster rooting into my modules if I don't have to top feed at all. When I top fed in my UC with coco in my pots the roots stayed in my net pots a lot longer before searching for that water below. Once they did and I dropped the water level and they exploded and it was nice to have a solid medium to crown feed or top feed as I wished... I now run a coco hydroton mix in all my UC buckets but I do pre veg to get them well rooted before I pop them in. Just my thoughts. Please share if you decide to go smarties and soil, I'd like to see...

D

Dojoking

Once your plants are rocking in your UC the medium used above the water line is not being used like it would in a regular soil grow. Most of your plant food source will be from the stew flowing through your system. When I do coco in my net pots I stack the bottom with stones before the coco. I would imagine if using the smart pots you would do the same to keep from consistently drenching your soil. Like when i do coco in my UC I would get that plant well rooted in your pot before entering your UC so those roots can feel that water below once put into the UC. That would help from having to top feed too much while starting in the UC. In my experience I have found faster rooting into my modules if I don't have to top feed at all. When I top fed in my UC with coco in my pots the roots stayed in my net pots a lot longer before searching for that water below. Once they did and I dropped the water level and they exploded and it was nice to have a solid medium to crown feed or top feed as I wished... I now run a coco hydroton mix in all my UC buckets but I do pre veg to get them well rooted before I pop them in. Just my thoughts. Please share if you decide to go smarties and soil, I'd like to see...

It sounds like you are basically doing what I was hoping to accomplish with the smart pot and soil/coco. I was thinking I might be able to top feed with a dry organic fertilizer and hopefully capture some of the processes that bring the aroma and taste out in organically grown bud (The old debate of which is superior as far as synthetic or organic still rages on but I would rather that debate be carried on in another thread).

Are you trying to get some microbial action going on with the coco in the UC? If so, how has that been working out for you? Do you think it is worth continuing?

H

hogan400

Yo, I did exactly what you are talking about and posted a full tutorial thread on it since many here we're having root rot issues. Look at my profile page and then my created threads or whatever and after a little searching you will find it... You have to modify stuff but it still kills it. I have stacks of Uc systems still.

D

Dojoking

Yo, I did exactly what you are talking about and posted a full tutorial thread on it since many here we're having root rot issues. Look at my profile page and then my created threads or whatever and after a little searching you will find it... You have to modify stuff but it still kills it. I have stacks of Uc systems still.

Ahhh, it took a little searching but I found it. You just said to hell with the net pots and took the whole lid off lol. Did the roots grow through the smarties easily and just as thick as they would in a net pot?

Thanks for dropping in and contributing some info Hogan.

H

hogan400

Pretty much, those lil smarties would knock through the bottom with a real tree like the UC can grow. Roots push through those w no issue at all. I've had the net pots actually cut through roots as they grew, and restrict em so bad they began to die and rot by the end of crop. Hit up cch2o, Daniel and Christian are great guys and will send you pics of the updated coco earth system. It's killer and they are cool as hell. No need to be nervous.

You welcome D! Later man

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Man I've been banging on Daniels door for years about that earth system. We almost got it rocking in a couple new rooms I got up for some patients, just the order away, but he decided to hold on to it a bit longer so they can adjust a couple things. Sucked... He stated all their time was being put toward the UC Pro and the earth was on the back burner until the Pro is in full swing. Broke my heart!! It will be a beast of a system once they get their in line feeding system rocking the Earth..

D

Dojoking

Yeah I guess the UC earth is exactly the type of system I have been looking for. Until Hogan mentioned it in an earlier post I was assuming they weren't going to be releasing the Under Current Earth since I hadn't seen any recent info on the forums or on the Under Current website except for the link to the blank "earth" page. I would love to see some new photos of the latest Earth system. Hopefully it isn't as tall as the system in Gengisdon's thread. That system he has would eat up more of my vertical height than I want to use. I will shoot them an email soon and see if they mind sharing some photos.

Amber

Amber

Man I've been banging on Daniels door for years about that earth system. We almost got it rocking in a couple new rooms I got up for some patients, just the order away, but he decided to hold on to it a bit longer so they can adjust a couple things. Sucked... He stated all their time was being put toward the UC Pro and the earth was on the back burner until the Pro is in full swing. Broke my heart!! It will be a beast of a system once they get their in line feeding system rocking the Earth..
I heard the pro is within a couple weeks away. We shall see.

Quadchomes

Quadchomes

Done this style except with 7 gal smart pots , no lid. Only one run though, so I didn't get to play with it much. Took forever to correct solution.

Latest posts

Top Bottom