Has anyone flowered at 13/11 what were your results is it worth it

• Thread starter Rebeccalovato777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo its all DLI you need to reach an intensity that maximes growth and supplies enough photons over the light period. Plant health is absolutely huge in a plants ability in terms of photosynthetic rates… as are all environmental factors. Take co2 for instance, it can greatly improve the plants photosynthetic rates under the right conditions.

Now if you dont have an intense enough light or optimal photosynthetic rates you may see a benefit from an extra hour of exposure.

Its all about the DLI and thisbis why an auto run on 24 hr light with half the intensity will produce just as much as an auto run 12/12 with double the intensity provided its photosynthetic rates are adequate

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

It makes sense that the extra hour of light would result in a greater harvest, but I've never done a side-by-side, and when I just tried it for a grow, I couldn't tell that it was any larger than under 12/12
I don't know exactly what plants do in the dark, but like every other living thing on Earth, they evolved with the darkness of night as part of their life cycle. When looking at my plants shortly after the lights come on, I notice they seem more vital than they do later in their artificial day. I assume that during the dark period they build up resources to use during their light period. This may be why they like more dark during their end-of-life end-game strategy that we describe as their reproductive stage. Everything they've done up to that point has prepared them for their final act -- the continuation of their species -- so they give it everything they have to give. Then they die.

Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

Imo its all DLI you need to reach an intensity that maximes growth and supplies enough photons over the light period. Plant health is absolutely huge in a plants ability in terms of photosynthetic rates… as are all environmental factors. Take co2 for instance, it can greatly improve the plants photosynthetic rates under the right conditions.

Now if you dont have an intense enough light or optimal photosynthetic rates you may see a benefit from an extra hour of exposure.

Its all about the DLI and thisbis why an auto run on 24 hr light with half the intensity will produce just as much as an auto run 12/12 with double the intensity provided its photosynthetic rates are adequate
I noticed that in some people's grows lighting is everything I had got a 600w light with my tent until I read higher intensity bigger yields! So I bought a anglex 2000w full spectrum I live this light but if not careful I plants get burned I learned my lesson a few times 😅 so I have the 600w with one plant in my kitchen it wasn't ready to flower I may just leave it because their so beautiful I'll just make sure it don't turn ill change its hours of darkness in Oct because I always go to bed early so it can have darkness if not I'm gonna let it do what it does naturally I guess will see lol!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I noticed that in some people's grows lighting is everything I had got a 600w light with my tent until I read higher intensity bigger yields! So I bought a anglex 2000w full spectrum I live this light but if not careful I plants get burned I learned my lesson a few times 😅 so I have the 600w with one plant in my kitchen it wasn't ready to flower I may just leave it because their so beautiful I'll just make sure it don't turn ill change its hours of darkness in Oct because I always go to bed early so it can have darkness if not I'm gonna let it do what it does naturally I guess will see lol!
When in doubt less is more. Good choice

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Growing weed is very addictive! Consulted for a Chef that had gotten injured on the job and could no longer work in the kitchen. He was using weed for pain relief and insomnia. Built out a 40 ft container and delivered it to his home. He lived on 5 acres of land. Consulted his first grow. After we harvested and cured he told me he would spend countless hours just sitting inside the container looking at the girls contemplating life. He said it was the most zen thing he'd ever done and thanked me for helping him find his balance!
Yes, my wife and I spend an hour or so in there most evenings, just enjoying atmosphere. It's a good feeling!

If there is anything I've learned in the short time growing these plants, its that more, more often that not, does not equal better.

Something else I'm curious in is how well do plants handle random light exposures (light leaks, etc.) during flower.
Some handle it better than others but no cannabis photo-period plant handles it well. It's not natural so it confuses them. I'm hoping I don't have problems due to light pollution outside. I addressed what I could but that's limited to my property. I can't do anything about the street lights and such.

You also probably avoid the yellowing/lime growth after a drastic flip to 12/12

Upper growth needs time for nutrients to pump up

See it alot when people flip to 12/12 in one night
My grows are organic, but one thing I found that seems to help avoid that yellowing is giving them a dose of nutrient salts on your watering a few days before you plan to flip. I give them a light dose of nutrient salts when I up-pot as well. It might be just me, but sometimes I get that yellowing right after that transplant too. This seems to help in the transition.

Not well. Green at extremely low intensity is not a risk but put a green flood light on em and it can be
I put gray duct tape over the outside porch light. It has a green LED inside it. I did that to cut down on the amount of light it casts out into the yard. I can't have zero light when the dogs go out at night. We need to be right there so they don't bark and wake up the neighborhood.
It makes sense that the extra hour of light would result in a greater harvest, but I've never done a side-by-side, and when I just tried it for a grow, I couldn't tell that it was any larger than under 12/12

I'm thinking of putting together a PowerPoint lecture and showing it to my plants. Maybe that will convince them to produce more when I do something that makes sense to me.
There you go, let me know how that works for you. LOL ...

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Photoperiod cannabis plants start flowering once they recieve 12hours of darkness. I've pretty much settled on 11/13 (on/off).
I usually go with 16/8 for veg. Ive tried other veg cycles 24/0, 18/6, 6/2...
6/6 is good if you want to slow down veg growth or keep plants small...
12 hours darkness is the signal for the plants to be flowering, so I personally use 13 (or at least 12.5) so that they definitely get the message, lol.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Wow that long I've only had mine 11 months that's good news I'm always paranoid 😆
Most manufacturers are listing the lifespan as 50,000 hours. This is kind of a catch-all in case someone is over-driving them. In reality they last much longer ... like 100,000 hours. As @Aqua Man said, they degrade slowly over a period time (yrs). Drivers usually fail before the diodes.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Photoperiod cannabis plants start flowering once they recieve 12hours of darkness. I've pretty much settled on 11/13 (on/off).
I usually go with 16/8 for veg. Ive tried other veg cycles 24/0, 18/6, 6/2...
6/6 is good if you want to slow down veg growth or keep plants small...
12 hours darkness is the signal for the plants to be flowering, so I personally use 13 (or at least 12.5) so that they definitely get the message, lol.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I don't know exactly what plants do in the dark, but like every other living thing on Earth, they evolved with the darkness of night as part of their life cycle. When looking at my plants shortly after the lights come on, I notice they seem more vital than they do later in their artificial day. I assume that during the dark period they build up resources to use during their light period. This may be why they like more dark during their end-of-life end-game strategy that we describe as their reproductive stage. Everything they've done up to that point has prepared them for their final act -- the continuation of their species -- so they give it everything they have to give. Then they die.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Now, let's refer back to what Dr. Bigbee was saying in his podcast. He's saying red/far reds together help the plant to get completely into it's darkness routine in a few minutes instead of a few hours. Outside, the setting sun is full of these reds and this would explain why many cannabis strains start flowering around 14 hrs of sunlight/10 hrs of darkness as opposed to the 12/12 we used indoors.

This is the part that interests me ... and what Dr Bigbee was emphasizing in that part of the podcast. He's got so much valuable information its worth taking a lazy day and watching as many of his videos as you can. Not just the ones on lighting.

Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

That's just insane that someone was able to create something like this! It's just insane how it works so well together ❤️

Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

Now, let's refer back to what Dr. Bigbee was saying in his podcast. He's saying red/far reds together help the plant to get completely into it's darkness routine in a few minutes instead of a few hours. Outside, the setting sun is full of these reds and this would explain why many cannabis strains start flowering around 14 hrs of sunlight/10 hrs of darkness as opposed to the 12/12 we used indoors.

This is the part that interests me ... and what Dr Bigbee was emphasizing in that part of the podcast. He's got so much valuable information its worth taking a lazy day and watching as many of his videos as you can. Not just the ones on lighting.
Wow that's impressive information 👏

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Does Dr. Bigbee have empirical evidence that this in fact happens? How would you be able to monitor when a plant goes into its darkness routine and set up a baseline to determine what is "awake" and what is "asleep"? Would it be determined by the amount of metabolic function? Chemical processes going on in that time period that are measurable?

If you have any vids you can link that talk about this I would love to watch them.....

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Absolutely, this is a "high tech with all the measuring gadgets" study at a major university.

As for links. Go to youtube.com and type "Dr Bugbee" ... These are recorded class room lectures and there are many.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

There are lots of studies out there that can be found with a google search. I know i have red a couole in the subject but to be honest im to lazy to dig them up. For me i have read enough to form an opinion. The info is out there to support much of this and speculate on the rest as science is progressing on it

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Absolutely, this is a "high tech with all the measuring gadgets" study at a major university.

As for links. Go to youtube.com and type "Dr Bugbee" ... These are recorded class room lectures and there are many.
BIGbee or BUGbee? LOL!

I'll look him up on YT! Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Top Bottom