Have a question Coco-naut? Ask the Cocommunity!

• Thread starter Snow Crash
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Snow Crash

The concept of this thread is to provide an organized location for questions related to Coco Coir and Fiber specific growing to be asked and/or researched.

If you are new to coco, or you have some experience but are looking for that extra edge, please feel free to tap myself as a resource. I am happy to help out as much as I can.

If you are interested in my credentials:
I have been growing in Coco for a little over 2 years now and have maybe 8 harvests under my belt in this media. It definitely took me a good deal of time to find the method that worked best for me. Coming from outdoor organics I had a difficult time managing the differences at first - like many other growers do - because in many ways the two medias are similar. The nutritional differences are a major undertaking to comprehend and I hope my experience in this regard will help others in similar situations.

My opinions on coco are this:
Highest quality coco: Botanicare CocoGro Compressed
Highest quality coco mix: Roots Organics Coco Mix
Amending coco: Not necessary but acceptable for frequent waterings
Best one-part coco nutrient: Botanicare CNS 17 Coco/Soil Grow,Bloom, Ripe.
Best two-part coco nutrient: Canna Coco A+B
Preferred method: Top feed Drain-to-Waste
Runoff required: 30% regularly

Please feel free to direct any and all coco questions this way.

Here's a little something something to wet your pallet.

Have a question coco naut ask the cocommunity
J

jacobgriis02

This thread has a nice summary I read over 50+ pages on IC on the unofficial coco thread and learned a lot, but really it could have been summarized by almost your one post hehe. In fact I believe you helped me on a post over there about cutting with perlite! Glad to see ya here and as I am soon making the switch to coco I know where to go with questions!

Any any chance you get your name from the early 90s book snow crash?

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Plants look nice there, man. What strain ya got running there? I'm curious as to your research into your favorite coco media and nutes. Can you tell us more about any others you have tried. How about organics and coco? Do you have any experience with that one? Do you use teas or other active cultures in your methods of coco gardening? You say 30% runoff? Is that on all your feedings? How did you arrive at this number? Do you flush with tap or cal mag infused RO water between or in a cycle with feedings? Thanks for sharing with everyone,

-TF

S

Snow Crash

This thread has a nice summary I read over 50+ pages on IC on the unofficial coco thread and learned a lot, but really it could have been summarized by almost your one post hehe. In fact I believe you helped me on a post over there about cutting with perlite! Glad to see ya here and as I am soon making the switch to coco I know where to go with questions!

Any any chance you get your name from the early 90s book snow crash?

Yep, that'd be me!

I'm glad I can help. Growing in coco is an "enriching" experience and I hope to share that with other growers. It's been a little sleepy recently around the MJ forums but this place looks like it's popping off.

See you around (and yes, I swiped the name from the book).

S

Snow Crash

Plants look nice there, man. What strain ya got running there? I'm curious as to your research into your favorite coco media and nutes. Can you tell us more about any others you have tried. How about organics and coco? Do you have any experience with that one? Do you use teas or other active cultures in your methods of coco gardening? You say 30% runoff? Is that on all your feedings? How did you arrive at this number? Do you flush with tap or cal mag infused RO water between or in a cycle with feedings? Thanks for sharing with everyone,

-TF

Thank you. In the grow room right now I am running Nirvana Ice and my own homemade strain I call Element Zero; which is BC Big Bud x Mr. Nice (G13 x Hash plant).

In coco I have grown:
DNA Genetics Kandy Kush x Skunk (an all-time favorite)
DNA Genetics OG#18 x Skunk
DNA Genetics Sour Cream
DNA Genetics Sour Kush
DNA Genetics Sharks Breath
DNA Gentics Cole Train
Nirvana Blue Mystic
Nirvana Ice
Paradise Seeds Sensi Star
Paradise Seeds Wappa
Magus Genetics Warlock
Magus Genetics Motavation
Greenhouse Seeds Lemon Skunk
Serious Seeds Chronic

I started in Coco a little over 2 years ago, the first time I was in Botanicare CocoGro Compressed bricks. I ran Canna Coco A+B, Cal-Mag Plus, PK 13/14, Cannazym, and during flowering I ran Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom.

The only other nutrient system I have had to opportunity to try out is Botanicare CNS 17 coco/soil grow, bloom, and ripe. With the nutrient calculator I have devised I feel confident that I could make most nutrient systems work so long as I have a phosphorus dominant PK supp and some Cal-Mag Plus to balance out the ratio.

With organics the furthest I've gone is running the Organicare Supplement line of Huvega (micro), Humega (humic acid), Calplex (calcium), and Seaplex (kelp extract). This didn't go very well, but it was my first time, and I think I could make some vast improvements in this regard. I come from an organic background (think hippies on the hill near UC Santa Cruz) so I am no stranger to compost tea but I haven't actually put together a brewer for my indoor plants. This is definitely in the workings already and will likely be a reality (if only in experimental phase) after this summer. The Advanced Nutrients Nirvana is basically a concentrated compost tea and I ran that for a while during flowering, but that's about as close as I can get today.

There are not too many coco growers working with pure organics, running teas, and pre-amending their coco. AskED over at GC has been working on this subject for about a year now without a ton of success either. My grows are a kind of psuedo-hydro-organic conglomeration of systems in an attempt to get the growth rates of hydro and the flavors of organics. The Roots Organics coco mix has been great for cloning with and ease of watering because I don't need to feed the clones until well after they are rooted. I like their ingredient list a lot and would mix up exactly the same thing for my own.

Interestingly enough, Subcool is a huge supporter of Roots Organics Coco mix, as he uses it in his own super soil recipe. This would be a 1/2 attempt at coco organics being that it is not nearly just pure coco.

I found some time ago that Coco can retain a HUGE element buffer. I had to find out the hard way also, requiring that I flush upwards of 10 gallons of water through a 3 gallon planter to bring the runoff EC under 2.0. Testing and keeping good records of my runoff's EC is how I came to the conclusion that 30% is the minimum. I always try to keep the runoff EC within 30% of the solution EC. So if I used a 1.0ec solution then I'd want to make sure the runoff didn't exceed 1.3ec. If it does, then I'd use more solution.

I'll never, never, never EVER suggest flushing coco with clean water before the last week of flowering. Coco washes out different elements at different rates. Flushing does little more than skew the CEC of the system and causing further issues.

My suggestion when it comes to "flushing" in coco is to rinse the coco with a very low strength solution. Usually, less than 0.5ec, and it needs to contain Coco specific nutrients. Rinsing with low strength nutrients will still remove the excess elements from the system but it will ensure that the coco retains the proper ratio of elements in its buffer. But, to avoid getting to this point it is better to just error on the side of caution and get a copious amount of runoff.

In the past I have tried feeding at a high strength and then watering for a few days without runoff to let the plants "suck up" the elements. This didn't work out so well.

The way I look at it is if I spend... $200 on nutrients, and I wash out 1/3 of them then that means I flush about $60 worth of nutrients. This is fine with me though, because it ensures big thick nugs and a heavy harvest. If burning my plants cuts the harvest weight by just 10 grams the copious amount of runoff used to keep the plants from burning is a wise investment.

I don't care about what I'm "wasting" so long as the runoff EC is in range. This keeps my harvest weights nice and high. When running CNS 17 Coco/Soil (at $25 per gallon) I don't spend more than $100 on the whole system and I'm not about to start bitching about ~$30 in nutrients down the drain while I puff on 2 gram blunts all day.

I think everyone has to find a method and a style of growing that works best for them. For me, it's calculating the predicted nutrient levels and working with lots of runoff. Keep the media clean and dialed just the way I want it.

And that's the trick, soak up everything around you on the topic and find the way you want it, then own that.

There's a lot of advice I feel there is to give when it comes to coco. Quirks and specifics that need to be addressed for success. Some of this knowledge comes from experience which is irreplaceable. Thank you for stopping by to get things rolling, I'd do a coco tutorial but there are already few out there.

I'm always happy to answer questions and to talk coco and cannabis.

true grit

true grit

I honestly have found the following-

worst common coco- Botanicare
Best common coco- Atami Bio Bizz/Canna

No drip to waste- just water 10-20% volume, key being with everyone using chem/syns in coco- USE DRIP CLEAN.

coco does NOT need to be precharged with Calmag
I only use Calplex- no mag additive.

Ive gone through following nutrients in coco- Canna AB, AN 3pt, AN Connie, AN Senis AB, and Age Old Organics. The simplest by far and most consistent being AN Sensi AB. As well as the fact that Sensi requires very few additives to be effective.

For organics so far- Age Old works fine, but must be applied at/close to recommended feed rates.

Just a few thoughts.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Awesome response man. I truly appreciate the length at which you went to tell your findings behind your final theories. I am gladly learning all I can on the topic of coco. I find others who also are combining chemical and organics for their coco. It seems to be a good thing. I will be trying the CNS compared to the Canna coming up soon. I'm excited to see how she runs. Do you go by, or close to the chart on feed strengths on that nute line? Thanks for adding to the coco forum.

-TF

jyip

jyip

SnoC
i was gonna pic ur brain on the coir if ya dont mind

i'm doin a one time JUST flowering part of a grow ona low budget.. and i already have the coir and some canna nutes too, the PK, the cannazymn, and most importantly some healthy established clones growing in pots with soil mix some since st pat's day
anyhow...i want to put them into my 4 x 4 foot ebb n flo tray without pots ..I have 11 plants from 4 feet tall down to one foot tall, 5 r decent sized in 3-4 gal pots, and the rest are smaller... MK ultra, jamacian purple kush, purple kush, blueberry , white widow and burmese kush....
would you just follow the canna feed schedule or do you have aspecial mix?

do you think i would be better off keeping them in 4 gal pots verse no pots in the 4 x 4 tray?..... I think it will hold fifty lbs of soil and would grow better without the pots

Or do you think I should stick with hydro? because that is what I have ezxperience in doing<i use canna aqua products and have very good success, such as you describe for yourself... I could easily just soak the soil mix off the root balls and put them into the coco puff lil balls i use and run from there..i'm kinda takkin myself towards the hydro now..hehe
interesting stuff you posted none the less

S

Snow Crash

Awesome response man. I truly appreciate the length at which you went to tell your findings behind your final theories. I am gladly learning all I can on the topic of coco. I find others who also are combining chemical and organics for their coco. It seems to be a good thing. I will be trying the CNS compared to the Canna coming up soon. I'm excited to see how she runs. Do you go by, or close to the chart on feed strengths on that nute line? Thanks for adding to the coco forum.

-TF

Canna has a pretty handy calculator on their own site, and I find their system is FANTASTIC during vegetative growth but lacks something during the first few weeks of flowering. My assumption has always been a kind of PK and Mag issue.

When I'm growing in coco I find that after about 4 weeks of feeding a good strength of nutrients the calcium bank is fulfilled and to continue to push calcium at the same level results in uptake issues in that cation family (Mg++, Fe++, K+). Trying to combat this issue with Epsom Salt (Mg2SO4) can add too much sulfate and sulfite to the media further interrupting exchange and and resulting in precipitates.

Watching the runoff is so crucial, IMO. Whatever level your plants need, just try to keep that what is going on in the media. If you are seeing huge numbers in your runoff then the media contains a supersaturation of what you have been feeding and who knows what the actual elemental balance is now... Many growers find themselves 3-4 weeks into flowering and trying to run clean water to resolve issues.

I am more of the persuasion that you want to avoid any semblance of burning during the first 3 weeks of flowering. If you can manage that, then during weeks 4, 5, and 6 you can just slam them with nutrients and the runoff will ensure they are "stewing" in the precise elemental distribution you're aiming for.

I've been running the numbers on Botanicare's CNS 17 Coco/Grow system and even at full suggested strength it really doesn't look too strong. You should top out around 1.6ec to 1.8ec at 25ml/gallon on the nutrients plus your tap water (they suggest RO water with this system, LOTS of Ca to compensate).

Personally I use a very customized approach. My goal here is to actually understand what is going on. The KISS concept will take a person only so far. What I do is analyze the elements the company claims to be providing and begin comparing the measurements to the predictions to determine how much of a deviance there is. Electrical Conductivity really doesn't tell me what elements I have in the solution, but it helps as a guideline as you collect more and more data. It is all comparative.

I think you should start your plants out on the CNS 17 coco/soil Grow formula at around 10ml/gallon and keep it there until you seem them start to increase in size. Honestly, I think 1L of Grow will be needed compared to 1 gallon of Bloom and 1 gallon of Ripe. I will be running these systems at about 70% of suggested strength based on the labels until I am sure they are in need of more food.

Supplements that I think are suitable for CNS 17 are Hydroplex as a phosphorus boost, Big Bud as a Potassium boost, Pro-Tekt as a silica boost and pH up replacement (CNS 17 can be too acidic at high levels), and a Carb/Mag supplement like Bud Candy, Sweet, or FloraNectar.

S

Snow Crash

I honestly have found the following-

worst common coco- Botanicare
Best common coco- Atami Bio Bizz/Canna

No drip to waste- just water 10-20% volume, key being with everyone using chem/syns in coco- USE DRIP CLEAN.

coco does NOT need to be precharged with Calmag
I only use Calplex- no mag additive.

Ive gone through following nutrients in coco- Canna AB, AN 3pt, AN Connie, AN Senis AB, and Age Old Organics. The simplest by far and most consistent being AN Sensi AB. As well as the fact that Sensi requires very few additives to be effective.

For organics so far- Age Old works fine, but must be applied at/close to recommended feed rates.

Just a few thoughts.

I'd disagree with some of this but it's just a preference thing.

I actually really like the compressed coco. It is a little finer and it works well with amendments or in smaller planters. Definitely not ideal for people who think you need 5 gallon planters of coco.

Canna Coco has probably been the lowest quality coco I have come across. Their concept of a "pre-charge" is a 3.0 runoff EC... for your seedlings... Also, in the 50L bags, you'll be lucky to get more than 40L of coco. I found all kinds of shit too, plastic, sticks, leaves, nuts, seeds, other plants growing out of it... lol, I went through a few bags and stopped believing the Canna hype.

I haven't had a chance to try Atami's yet but I hear they are very particular about their processing. Should be good stuff... but that's what I heard about canna. Gotta try it for yourself.

I agree that you don't need to pre-charge your coco with Cal-Mag. The Calcium buffer will build up over time and the important thing is recognizing when to cut back on the Ca++.

Age Old looks like quality stuff for the money. I'm interested. Maybe sometime in my future. I'd love to see a few more grows with it but I haven't taken a look around the organics section here yet. Any good links or journals you know about?

S

Snow Crash

SnoC
i was gonna pic ur brain on the coir if ya dont mind

i'm doin a one time JUST flowering part of a grow ona low budget.. and i already have the coir and some canna nutes too, the PK, the cannazymn, and most importantly some healthy established clones growing in pots with soil mix some since st pat's day
anyhow...i want to put them into my 4 x 4 foot ebb n flo tray without pots ..I have 11 plants from 4 feet tall down to one foot tall, 5 r decent sized in 3-4 gal pots, and the rest are smaller... MK ultra, jamacian purple kush, purple kush, blueberry , white widow and burmese kush....
would you just follow the canna feed schedule or do you have aspecial mix?

do you think i would be better off keeping them in 4 gal pots verse no pots in the 4 x 4 tray?..... I think it will hold fifty lbs of soil and would grow better without the pots

Or do you think I should stick with hydro? because that is what I have ezxperience in doing<i use canna aqua products and have very good success, such as you describe for yourself... I could easily just soak the soil mix off the root balls and put them into the coco puff lil balls i use and run from there..i'm kinda takkin myself towards the hydro now..hehe
interesting stuff you posted none the less

Hey dude.

I don't think I'd put all those different strains with all the different sizes and different finishing times into a single indoor table. Root issues for sure, but there could be all kinds of other complications that you cannot anticipate.

It is probably better to stick with some fabric planters in there and keep the plants segregated.

Do what you know. I like coco a lot, but that isn't to say there aren't other medias that will work better for one person than they will another. Keep tossing the ideas around, and if you'd like to do a little Coco/Soil/Organic thing you can try Subcool's Revised 2010 Super Soil Formula:

6 40L bags of Roots Organics Coco Mix
2 40L bags of Biobizz Light
25-50 lbs. (1 or 2 bags) of organic worm castings
5 lbs. of Blood meal 12-0-0
5 lbs. Bat guano 0-5-0
5 lbs. Fish Bone Meal 3-16-0
¾ cup Epsom salt
1 cup Sweet lime (Dolomite)
½ cup Azomite (Trace element)
2 Tbs. powdered Humic acid

Thank you Subcool! (not my formula, no credit due to me, you can google this stuff)

It is based on organic coco blends and then he tosses in the worm castings and some other nutrient sources. You can always alter things like using composted cow manure and high PK bird guano in place of the other items. Experimentation is encouraged with this very basic coco based soil formula.

J

jacobgriis02

Hey snowC, or anyone else that has designed a top feed system...

What are the ways to attach 1/4 inch flex tubing to a PVC mainline? I am building a PVC manifold and do not have those tophat rubber grommets that I have sometimes seen used for this purpose. So what are some alternative methods for attaching that tubing to PVC?

I drilled all holes a size smaller than the tube, and was hoping I could squeeze the tube in them, but no luck there, I ended up knicking off some if the outside tubing with a razor blade to help it fit in my drill holes.... now I just need to secure it, dunno what type of sealant to use, help!

J

jacobgriis02

OK thanks, have you used a silicone in particular that worked well for you?

I know some advertise as "bathroom tile" or some as "window and door" or something along those lines and last time I was shopping I wanted silicone but then got confused to all the types and said ef it.

I have pvc glue already, I thought ab using that but wasn't sure it would seal right for this purpose, right? Since its one of those solvent glues I figger it needs PVC + pvc right? Not pvc + irrigation tubing?

C

Cheeseus

To make things easy and adjustable you could use manifolds that will screw into the pvc. you should be able to find them at home improvement centers. I know rain drip makes some from 2 to 8 ports. they are a little cheaper than tophats if i remember.

S

Snow Crash

I agree, sililcon, specifically the kind that says it is designed for water. Not to beat a dead horse...

J

jacobgriis02

Allllright 2nd question, what type of drain do you guys run in your tables/ tubs or whatever you keep your pots on?

true grit

true grit

JYIP- Been using 4x4's with coco and smartpot planters. Works well, you won't really have any root issues with the different strains, but the harvest/flush etc becomes tricky if they are all over the place. Still get ridiculous growth. Smart pot has 4x4 tray liners now for $30- plan on about 4-5 bags of coco. Mono-crop 4x4's are much easier.

Snow- Thanks for the ammended sub super soil. Nice to see its mostly coco base, might have to mix some up for the next run. FYI for folks though, he doesn't ph and uses tap instead of RO (or at least when i harassed him about deficiencies last, that was what I found out).

There are a few cats doing Age Old with the coco and getting good results. My next table will be for sure, I'll throw a few pics up once I get her dialed, but Ive been having to feed pretty close to more than rec feed compared to much less than rec feed with soil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom