Have Root Aphids, Pyganic Drench Or Big Time Exterminator?

• Thread starter cottageman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cottageman

cottageman

I have a root aphid infestation, they are not flying yet and the plants are still mostly green but I can see them crawling in the medium and they are starting to crawl out. I am indor in rockwool and I have been fighting them for about a month. I have gotten them to go down greatly but I am wondering if pyganic is the way to go or big time exterminator? Anyone that has experience in this would be greatly appreciated.

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

I have a root aphid infestation, they are not flying yet and the plants are still mostly green but I can see them crawling in the medium and they are starting to crawl out. I am indor in rockwool and I have been fighting them for about a month. I have gotten them to go down greatly but I am wondering if pyganic is the way to go or big time exterminator? Anyone that has experience in this would be greatly appreciated.
I had problem with black fungi flies in my mother box. I waited too long before addressing the problem. Ended up taking new clones, and trashing mothers.

I have cleaned out box, and now treat everything in box with neem oil. Spray entire plant every 7 days, if fighting an infestation, every 14 to control fungus and egg growth. Only see an occasional fly now (need to convince Wife her soil needs sprayed also).

Dr claw

Dr claw

I had problem with black fungi flies in my mother box. I waited too long before addressing the problem. Ended up taking new clones, and trashing mothers.

I have cleaned out box, and now treat everything in box with neem oil. Spray entire plant every 7 days, if fighting an infestation, every 14 to control fungus and egg growth. Only see an occasional fly now (need to convince Wife her soil needs sprayed also).
Hahaha fungus gnats and root aphids are on totally different levels

cannabeans

cannabeans

Root drench with triazide. Found and big box stores. Active ingredient is a pyrethroid.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
There are a couple ways to come at it. One application of merit or mallet 75, then one of spectracide, and one more application of merit/mallet will kill them.

Or just two applications of merit 75 one week apart worked well for me also. These options can only be used in early Veg.

In soil I would suggest botanigard which can be used into flower, but they dont recommend using it in hydro.

Lastly, you could take clones and start over if you dont want to use pesticides.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The best thing for Root Aphids is lots of fire, an insurance claim, and a new spot. Found out that works the best. Just make sure its actually root aphids. If they are visible and look like aphids you would find on roses you can kill them but its a journey. It they are crazy tiny and cant almost see them (mostly white) and have a bunch of flyers use step 1 cause that isn't root aphids and is prob phylloxera

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The best thing for Root Aphids is lots of fire, an insurance claim, and a new spot. Found out that works the best. Just make sure its actually root aphids. If they are visible and look like aphids you would find on roses you can kill them but its a journey. It they are crazy tiny and cant almost see them (mostly white) and have a bunch of flyers use step 1 cause that isn't root aphids and is prob phylloxera

Root aphids actually belong to the family Phylloxera. That's the bastards I had and I was successful eradicating them with 2 doses of Merit 75. They're damn near microscopic and leave a white chalky residue on the soil surface. And they have tons of fliers once they reach a critical mass in the soil.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have used Malathion as a control for sow/pill/potato bugs as well as other in soil pests. It degrades quickly and has a wide dosage schedule. It is approved for vegetables and food crops, although it is best applied during vegetation to insure that it is broken down by the time you harvest. The only issue is the smell, but that might be added for safety. It kills just about any bug with one application. I thought it was OK for systemic use, but see it is not systemic in nature, which explains why it killed the soil pests. I thought it would travel, but it stayed in the soil and killed off all the critters eating my roots.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have used Malathion as a control for sow/pill/potato bugs as well as other in soil pests. It degrades quickly and has a wide dosage schedule. It is approved for vegetables and food crops, although it is best applied during vegetation to insure that it is broken down by the time you harvest. The only issue is the smell, but that might be added for safety. It kills just about any bug with one application. I thought it was OK for systemic use, but see it is not systemic in nature, which explains why it killed the soil pests. I thought it would travel, but it stayed in the soil and killed off all the critters eating my roots.

That will work too. Ive seen diazinon used quite a bit also before it was banned. Any organophosphate pesticide will be a good broad spectrum bug killer, but it's always best to combine it with another application of a pesticide from a different chemical group for multiple modes of action. Something like malathion which is a group 1B contact insecticide, or triazicide/spectracide which is a group 3, combined with a group 4 systemic chemical like imidacloprid will give the best chance of a total kill and the least possibility for any to survive and breed more survivors.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That will work too. Ive seen diazinon used quite a bit also before it was banned. Any organophosphate pesticide will be a good broad spectrum bug killer, but it's always best to combine it with another application of a pesticide from a different chemical group for multiple modes of action. Something like malathion which is a group 1B contact insecticide, or triazicide/spectracide which is a group 3, combined with a group 4 systemic chemical like imidacloprid will give the best chance of a total kill and the least possibility for any to survive and breed more survivors.
I'm going to hit it with the Jack's dead bug stuff for the leaves and soil, and a pyrethrin smoke to take care of any remaining issues...hopefully it will work out. The mites aren't really too bad and confined mostly to one plant. The plant looks great now that I started feeding a little more and kicked up the lumens X2. I'll let them enjoy their buffet for another day until the artillery arrives. I hate using ANY type of insecticide, but I've never had mites before...white flies were the worst and only problem I have had. Now that I think of it, I might have gotten the white flies from the same bum that gave me the mites. Some folks just don't learn...me for taking his clones, and him for not getting rid of his bugs before making them a gift to everyone! Grrrrr!

cottageman

cottageman

I am in hydro and the aphids are in my flowering room :( They came from a legal dispensary in southern CA when I bought a couple of clones. I have managed to almost get rid o them in my veg, but I am sure there is still some there but all of my plants and mothers look completely green and healthy. So far I have implemented ladybugs in both rooms, I have predatory mites on the way. Bi weekly I drench with og biowar root and foliar, nematodes, and regalia. If I see them in the medium I have been using Cap's recipe with pyganic drench and re inoculate with biowar after. The first time I saw them they almost killed 2 of my 4 flowering tables but I managed to keep them alive until harvest. My hardest problem is my garden is perpetual so I can't just start over without loosing 150 plus plants. I saw them again yesterday on my table that is in the end of week 2, but NOTHING like the first time and almost all of the plants are still completely green.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I am in hydro and the aphids are in my flowering room :( They came from a legal dispensary in southern CA when I bought a couple of clones. I have managed to almost get rid o them in my veg, but I am sure there is still some there but all of my plants and mothers look completely green and healthy. So far I have implemented ladybugs in both rooms, I have predatory mites on the way. Bi weekly I drench with og biowar root and foliar, nematodes, and regalia. If I see them in the medium I have been using Cap's recipe with pyganic drench and re inoculate with biowar after. The first time I saw them they almost killed 2 of my 4 flowering tables but I managed to keep them alive until harvest. My hardest problem is my garden is perpetual so I can't just start over without loosing 150 plus plants. I saw them again yesterday on my table that is in the end of week 2, but NOTHING like the first time and almost all of the plants are still completely green.
I grow them with a minimum of topping, maybe split once or twice and try to train to keep below 7ft, so the plants are pretty big and the bugs haven't done anything more than put some spots on a few big fan leaves, but the thought of them being in there is bothering me, so off they go!

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Big time is absolutely worthless for RA. Pyganic 1.4 or 5.0 are your bestfriend and have the best knockdown. Unfortunately this alone will not solve your problems and you will need something more nuclear Promis or Merit75 period. Botaingard works fairly well but that's more of what I use as a preventative. Clean Clean Clean I cant stress this enough. This is by far the worst pest you could have goodluck to you. Also did good with OG biowar...

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Root aphids actually belong to the family Phylloxera. That's the bastards I had and I was successful eradicating them with 2 doses of Merit 75. They're damn near microscopic and leave a white chalky residue on the soil surface. And they have tons of fliers once they reach a critical mass in the soil.

Yep. Except the merit 75, triazicide, neem, azamax, ect all didnt kill them for me. Battled it for a month and gave up. That was hurtful. Lost all my moms and shut my grow down for 8 months in that spot. Worst thing I have ever messed with. Was Ebb and Flo at the time so they just went to town. Don't think I have gotten a cut out of Cali since then.

cottageman

cottageman

Yep. Except the merit 75, triazicide, neem, azamax, ect all didnt kill them for me. Battled it for a month and gave up. That was hurtful. Lost all my moms and shut my grow down for 8 months in that spot. Worst thing I have ever messed with. Was Ebb and Flo at the time so they just went to town. Don't think I have gotten a cut out of Cali since then.
that sucks to hear, I only go to one dispensary to get my clones and the one time I tried somewhere else I got RA so yeah either seeds or Green Dragon clones from here on out lol

cottageman

cottageman

Big time is absolutely worthless for RA. Pyganic 1.4 or 5.0 are your bestfriend and have the best knockdown. Unfortunately this alone will not solve your problems and you will need something more nuclear Promis or Merit75 period. Botaingard works fairly well but that's more of what I use as a preventative. Clean Clean Clean I cant stress this enough. This is by far the worst pest you could have goodluck to you. Also did good with OG biowar...
I am going to hold off on the chemicals until absolutely necessary. It seems to be almost completely gone in my veg room the last place I see them is in my flowering room and they seem to only get in the newest table. The other 3 are still green and healthy. They have resurfaced 3 times and every time has been WAY less severe than the last so at least I am gaining a lot of ground on it. I have not seen a flying aphid since the first outbreak

cottageman

cottageman

Merit 75 or similar ,drench than follow up after a week or so after. Ive had the root aphids twice and this stuff works
From what I understand merit 75 can only be used in veg and stays in the plant for around 60 days so I can not really use it in my flowering room from what I understand

Latest posts

Top Bottom