Having part fluffy foxtailing buds, and normal buds. How to harvest in RDWC?

• Thread starter Fro5ty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Did anyone had any experience with harvesting a yield that’s part “ruined” and part normal? It’s my first grow and I have ran into problems along the way. I stressed them out by either the lights or the Nitrogen toxicity, and I would say 70% of my buds are fluffy and have foxtails.

546B418E-E578-4F3D-952B-D7C1F99737AE.jpeg

This photo was taken 2 days ago. I lowered the light density to 70% Saturday and Tuesday to 40%. The fluffy buds, pistils are starting to turn orange.

Saturday will be the start of week 6 of flower. trichomes are plentiful on all buds. Most are clear. But at the best buds that weren’t effected they have started to become milky.

I’ve read that som strains their trichomes don’t turn amber. I should have another 2-3 weeks of flower left according to the strains schedule.

It’s kind of a unique situation and I’ve decided to harvest in parts. The good buds first and the fluffy buds after. Let them ripe as much as possible to have the Nitrogen out as much as possible.

What is the maximum time you can flush? Would it be doable to flush with 0.1 or 0.2EC nutrients? I’ve read to flush it in hydroponics, from 2 days to 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation? Any tips would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Post some more pics but from that one it could be reveg. On the same plant if buds down below are finished and buds up top are still white hairs, you revegged. I see some leafs coming out of your buds that look unusual. I see new white hairs on new buds that stretched up top. Way above finished buds.

Foxtailing imo is caused by stunted growth or even reveg. I'd say you have some light leaks or opened the tent too much.. But to me there are more than enough reasons to cut it all and start new. The white hair buds will go red while hanging.

And it's week 6?? Fix ur light leaks, harvest in two weeks or as soon as your bottom buds finish.. Them top ones in the back middle got 5 or 6 weeks due to reveg..

Id need to see more pics of the lower finished buds to say when u should cut. But it's gonna stretch again

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Post some more pics but from that one it could be reveg. On the same plant if buds down below are finished and buds up top are still white hairs, you revegged. I see some leafs coming out of your buds that look unusual. I see new white hairs on new buds that stretched up top. Way above finished buds.

Foxtailing imo is caused by stunted growth or even reveg. I'd say you have some light leaks or opened the tent too much.. But to me there are more than enough reasons to cut it all and start new. The white hair buds will go red while hanging.

And it's week 6?? Fix ur light leaks, harvest in two weeks or as soon as your bottom buds finish.. Them top ones in the back middle got 5 or 6 weeks due to reveg..

Id need to see more pics of the lower finished buds to say when u should cut. But it's gonna stretch again
Light leaks, don't make sense. The buds closest to the window and door are not the fluffy ones. If I had a light leak, those were the ones that would start to reveg cause that's where the light would com in.

I added some more photos and videos below, took them from al 3 sides.

20220106 204145
20220106 204131
20220106 204125
20220106 204112
20220106 204101

20220106 204042
20220106 204042
20220106 204030
20220106 203958
20220106 203950
20220106 203944
20220106 204145

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Like you can see. Some branches on the bottom have the problem also. While whole other plants on the side are doing just fine.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Like you can see. Some branches on the bottom have the problem also. While whole other plants on the side are doing just fine. I did had an accident where I left my lights on for 48h. Could that have caused it? I have 2-3 more weeks to go for the good buds. I'm going to finish it no matter what. I'm not going to cut them down now. Even if I only have 30% yield. No way I'm going to throw that away!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Like you can see. Some branches on the bottom have the problem also. While whole other plants on the side are doing just fine. I did had an accident where I left my lights on for 48h. Could that have caused it? I have 2-3 more weeks to go for the good buds. I'm going to finish it no matter what. I'm not going to cut them down now. Even if I only have 30% yield. No way I'm going to throw that away!
Yea I was gonna say possibly a timer issue. I mean if all the data points to it then yea, but I'm just giving my opinion. I can't really tell from the pics cause they are so far away. And when I say cut it down, I mean hang it to dry lol.. Not throw it away. It's good weed now.. But once a good bud revegged, it becomes leafy and stemmy.. So hard to trim. But yea i had 6 plants reveg and one did not, light didn't make it to it. But yes that light timer would start the process all over, even one day. I guess when I say cut them I mean the time it takes to get stemmy revegged weed would be better spent growing new. The longer its in there, the more the buds will space apart to make room for new buds. I'm not really good at explaining it apparently. I just would think of every possibility. But if u want me to be sure. Do a slow video over one plant... Top then bottom. Some close ups of the white buds up top and red buds down below on the same plant. Idk.. I just hate second guessing myself. I'm pretty confident you got it figured out honestly.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Yea I was gonna say possibly a timer issue. I mean if all the data points to it then yea, but I'm just giving my opinion. I can't really tell from the pics cause they are so far away. And when I say cut it down, I mean hang it to dry lol.. Not throw it away. It's good weed now.. But once a good bud revegged, it becomes leafy and stemmy.. So hard to trim. But yea i had 6 plants reveg and one did not, light didn't make it to it. But yes that light timer would start the process all over, even one day. I guess when I say cut them I mean the time it takes to get stemmy revegged weed would be better spent growing new. The longer its in there, the more the buds will space apart to make room for new buds. I'm not really good at explaining it apparently. I just would think of every possibility. But if u want me to be sure. Do a slow video over one plant... Top then bottom. Some close ups of the white buds up top and red buds down below on the same plant. Idk.. I just hate second guessing myself. I'm pretty confident you got it figured out honestly.
Are you sure this is revegging? The bad buds just started to turn their pistils orange. I read a lot about light being the issue. But another grower said that it could also possibly be because of to much Nitrogen.

I don't have it figure out tho. I have no clue what to do now to maximize my harvest in this situation. I will make new photos with close ups over 8h, when lights go back on.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
foxtailing can be caused by a handful of things. Genetics (sativa dom), heat, light, and too much nitrogen too late into flower being the main ones. i'm in my second round struggling with them as well. LED lighting is far more powerful than we think and without a proper quantum light meter it's impossible to know for sure what the actual DLI is. One can speculate based off manufacturer charts and get a rough idea with an app, but those only get you in the ballpark, and are not accurate tools.

once foxtails set in, there's no stopping em. the run is shot. gotta do better the next time. it sucks, but it is what it is. control what you can and try to do better each iteration.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Are you sure this is revegging? The bad buds just started to turn their pistils orange. I read a lot about light being the issue. But another grower said that it could also possibly be because of to much Nitrogen.

I don't have it figure out tho. I have no clue what to do now to maximize my harvest in this situation. I will make new photos with close ups over 8h, when lights go back on.
The very first picture you posted, the blurry bud that looks almost finished up front. That bud has revegged on you. Look at them rounded tip leafs coming out of the budsite. Those should be pointy with frost on them. The buds in that picture have majoirty red hairs, look like week 6 buds to me, yet those one stubby fat leafs coming out make me think its revegged.

So also in that first pic far left theres another good looking finished bud. Its not fallen over so I know its growing up tall, normal height. And to the right of it, if thats the same plant, that bud its new white hair growth coming out of a bud that is foxtailing. To me its like they were done, starting to form some hard crystals, then told to make new growth all of a sudden, well that growth is hard to blast up through those hard crystals, so it all goes out the easiest paths following the rest of the white hairs up, aka foxtailing. Its not like it can grow easy through the hardened crystal sides.

If this were in a tent id say otherwise, but its a huge room with all your equipment. I imagine there are lights on your timers or idk. . i really dont. I wouldnt bet my life on it without seeing close ups. But one big hit is that if they have been in flower for 6 weeks, yet the top buds look like they are just starting and got 6 more weeks left. Are alot of your buds below finished or is just the ones on the edges? Is all the new growth under that light that was left on?

Perahaps they are not revegging, ill know when u post pics, but either way, they have some major growth issues and I wouldnt go over 8 weeks with them. Its up to you, just not gonna do well when they hit your lights.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

The very first picture you posted, the blurry bud that looks almost finished up front. That bud has revegged on you. Look at them rounded tip leafs coming out of the budsite. Those should be pointy with frost on them. The buds in that picture have majoirty red hairs, look like week 6 buds to me, yet those one stubby fat leafs coming out make me think its revegged.

So also in that first pic far left theres another good looking finished bud. Its not fallen over so I know its growing up tall, normal height. And to the right of it, if thats the same plant, that bud its new white hair growth coming out of a bud that is foxtailing. To me its like they were done, starting to form some hard crystals, then told to make new growth all of a sudden, well that growth is hard to blast up through those hard crystals, so it all goes out the easiest paths following the rest of the white hairs up, aka foxtailing. Its not like it can grow easy through the hardened crystal sides.

If this were in a tent id say otherwise, but its a huge room with all your equipment. I imagine there are lights on your timers or idk. . i really dont. I wouldnt bet my life on it without seeing close ups. But one big hit is that if they have been in flower for 6 weeks, yet the top buds look like they are just starting and got 6 more weeks left. Are alot of your buds below finished or is just the ones on the edges? Is all the new growth under that light that was left on?

Perahaps they are not revegging, ill know when u post pics, but either way, they have some major growth issues and I wouldnt go over 8 weeks with them. Its up to you, just not gonna do well when they hit your lights.

Here are some photo's. close ups of the good and bad buds. I tried to get my camera aligned with microscope, but it was hard. They are so bushy. And because of the N toxicity, they grew thin long branches. Most branches have a decent bud on the end. It got out of hand real fast after flipping them to flower.

From what I've read. The bad buds should be fine to smoke? It's just yield that's effected? Even when it's this bad? :(

20220107 093041
20220107 092233
20220107 092221
20220107 092201
20220107 092129
20220107 092056
20220107 091537
20220107 091347
20220107 091336

I don’t really see any revegging (I hope).

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i don't see anything but keep an eye on your timers. if all your lights have a control box than connect them to each other and have only one main control box.
This way when one light goes off than all of them go off.

@tobh gave you a very important piece of information. Look into those.
Also, i notice from one of the pictures that the lights are over hanging each other. From certain angels the light in the back is allot more than other places. Maybe why you have foxtail?
I would use a ppfd/lux app and find these hot areas before you get light bleaching and other problems.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

These two buds revegged. I can't say much about the rest of the plants. The front right plant just looks like it also had another big stretch in it.

Like id cut it if I were you. But yes it's just yeild and time. Meaning your plants will be in there twice as long as they should. All it does is make a horrible trimming job. And honestly it looks like it wasn't a huge reveg, but enough to restart at least that front right plant.

But no, your weed is still fine regardless what you do. I would just want to get more started in there if you know what I mean. Or you can let these go, the top buds will finish but touch light, the bottom buds will become more leafy due to not getting enough light, but you might have enough light lol. . idk what kind of lights you have, but its gonna take alot of light to maake sure the lower buds dont become twice as leafy. Yea id cut it all if it was me. . . I think someone else suggested the same due to fox tailing. Either way, the white hairs will wither to red/orange while its hanging.

Screenshot 20220107 042300
Screenshot 20220107 042443
Last edited:
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

These two buds revegged. I can't say much about the rest of the plants. The front right plant just looks like it also had another big stretch in it.

Like id cut it if I were you. But yes it's just yeild and time. Meaning your plants will be in there twice as long as they should. All it does is make a horrible trimming job. And honestly it looks like it wasn't a huge reveg, but enough to restart at least that front right plant.

But no, your weed is still fine regardless what you do. I would just want to get more started in there if you know what I mean. Or you can let these go, the top buds will finish but touch light, the bottom buds will become more leafy due to not getting enough light, but you might have enough light lol. . idk what kind of lights you have, but its gonna take alot of light to maake sure the lower buds dont become twice as leafy. Yea id cut it all if it was me. . . I think someone else suggested the same due to fox tailing. Either way, the white hairs will wither to red/orange while its hanging.
So the gold buds revegged to? I already thought that they looked different when I took the pics earlier.

So I’m going to start flushing them tomorrow. And cut them in 2 days I guess.

the accidental 48h light exposure was weeks ago. Could that still be it? Or do I have a different light leak?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Let's look at this pic too. It shows everything I'm talking about in one pic. This was a bud that was finishing. The red hairs at the bottom of the pic with crystallized leafs show this. Those red hairs took weeks to turn red, but then there's new white hairs on the same bud right above them. Then look even closer, next to those white hairs are 1 finger rounded leafs with no frosting blasting out. See the new growth needs photosynthesis but your old upper fans are crystallized and not able to provide photosynthesis. So new ones come out which are less frosted.

Guaranteed those 2 leafs are one fingered too.

Screenshot 20220107 050530
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So when u cut it.. Stand in there with lights off and ur normal setup.. Test ur system with ur body. It could be just that, but that covering on ur window looks Hella shady lol.. Only you will know, but for sure that could have caused it, but act like it didn't and double check everything.

Good luck brotha.. I'm smoking in reveg right know lol.. I wish I had cut it way sooner. So leafy and stemmy :( lucky for u I had this problem weeks ago..

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

So when u cut it.. Stand in there with lights off and ur normal setup.. Test ur system with ur body. It could be just that, but that covering on ur window looks Hella shady lol.. Only you will know, but for sure that could have caused it, but act like it didn't and double check everything.

Good luck brotha.. I'm smoking in reveg right know lol.. I wish I had cut it way sooner. So leafy and stemmy :( lucky for u I had this problem weeks ago..
Thanks. I'm draining my tank now and will start getting RO water ready. I'll leave it at 0.2EC? Or should I really do no nutes at all?

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Also, the window has a roll-curtain on the outside. That I close before the lights go off. And open a little bit when the lights have come on, to control humidity

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Thanks. I'm draining my tank now and will start getting RO water ready. I'll leave it at 0.2EC? Or should I really do no nutes at all?
Thats best left to the other guys. I just let my ppms fall and only top off with water. Hell ill cut it if the ppms are 500 still. I dont flush, but idk if thats bad or not. Im not the guy who gives flushing advice lol. . I just have that eagle eye as usual. I think flying around the US at 172mph on my crotch rocket has helped my vision lol

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Thats best left to the other guys. I just let my ppms fall and only top off with water. Hell ill cut it if the ppms are 500 still. I dont flush, but idk if thats bad or not. Im not the guy who gives flushing advice lol. . I just have that eagle eye as usual. I think flying around the US at 172mph on my crotch rocket has helped my vision lol
I wanted to get a second opinion. And when I show the pic that you were talking about, others said I was fine and shouldn’t be worried about revegging…

Top Bottom