Having trouble starting out with new dwc 2x2 setup

• Thread starter AzGrowGuy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AzGrowGuy

AzGrowGuy

Hello all!

this is my first grow in almost 20 years but it just became legal in my state(Arizona) so here we go.

I have been having some trouble getting my plants going. I am adding lots of details to try to figure this out so bear with me. Before I get into that, here is my setup:

-using Vision Seeds White Widow and Sweet Seeds Sweet Skunk F1. Both femisized.

-I bought the Spider farmer 2x2(53” tall) tent setup with a fan and sf1000d light from Amazon.

-I repurposed a humidity controller from cheesemaking and have it plugged into a humidifier. This keeps the humidity between 50-60%.

-i

-I put together a dwc rig with a big air pump and 3” net pots. I fill it with 7 gallons which puts it about 1/2” below the bottom of the net pots. I am growing 2 plants in this.

- General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients

-PH and TDS pens in addition to a ph drop kit

To start, I soaked some rockwool in ph adjusted(6) water and then tucked a seed in each cube. I put these in a Tupperware covered in plastic wrap to make a humidity dome. I put these in the tent under the light. They sprouted and had a small root sticking out after 4 days.

I filled up the reservoir with tap water and the first week of nutrients ph adjusted to 6 following this schedule:

I had initially kept the tent inside the house as it was too cold to start in the I heated garage where it would eventually live. After a few days, the weather warmed up so I moved it to the garage. The light adds enough heat to keep the air temp in the 55-80F range even though it gets colder than that in the garage. I have not measured reservoir temp.

I saw some yellowing on the seedlings so I started looking into problems. First off, I had a 3” hole I was using to add nutrients So the reservoir had a massive light leak. This may have led to the ph rising up to almost 7.5. The water is also very hard here so the ppm with these nutrients was 600. After a week I was seeing very little growth so I changed the reservoir and cut the tap water with 3 gallons of distilled water. I thought maybe I needed more nutrients so I upped it to the next level using the sheet above.

This did not help. The next week I switched to a mixture of distilled and spring water. I went back to the week 1 level of nutrients and the ph has stayed right around 6 and the ppm is 390. The plants are still barely growing and look pretty yellow. The big one is about 2” tall and the smaller one is an inch. I am about 4 weeks from germination.

I am going to switch to 100% distilled with cal mag and hydroguard today. I am thinking of going to 1/2 of the amounts listed for nutrients for week 1.

Any ideas? Too much light? Reservoir water too cold? I am grasping at straws and feeling frustrated. I have some more seeds and rapid rooters if it makes more sense to just start over. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics:
https://invalid.com/a/cppeiko
https://invalid.com/a/vOTJqJQ

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Looks like a root issue. Is that little brown root slimy or very weak, does it smell like an old aquarium?

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Aqua man has a great thread about curing root rot and it works. He uses southern ag gff
But I think hydrogaurd at like a 10x dose would be equivalent.

AzGrowGuy

AzGrowGuy

Awesome! Thanks for your help. Do the symptoms look like root rot?

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Unfortunately yes. Weird deficiencies and severely affected or dying new growth, rapid wilting may follow. Before you use that setup again bleach the crap out of it and anything it touched, pumps, probes, etc., even get rid of calibration solutions if they were contaminated. You really don’t want that becoming a persistent problem.

AzGrowGuy

AzGrowGuy

Ok. So I think I’m on the right track.

I took apart the whole reservoir and scrubbed everything with antibacterial dish soap. I then coated everything with Starsan which should make it sterile. I also soaked the hoses and air stone in starsan.

I cut the rockwool away and the roots didn’t look too bad. I cleaned then and then poured a hydroguard solution over everything as per the aqua man article. What a great resource!

I reassembled everything and filled up with distilled water. I added a low amount of the flora nutrients with cal mag and added the correct amount of hydroguard. I mixed everything thoroughly and got a ph of 5.75 and a ppm of 160. I will give it a few days and see how it looks. I will keep treating the roots every day for 4 days like aqua man said to do.

Wish me luck!

AzGrowGuy

AzGrowGuy

Well, after another week of zero growth and one of the seedlings’ flowers curling up, I think I might have to start over with new seeds. The only other variable I can think of is the water temp in the reservoir. I’m going to get an aquarium heater to keep the water the correct temp.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

One thing no one told me was until you have an established root system top feed your dwc to stimulate the roots moving down into the pots do it a few days and you'll see results those are hungry they aren't getting the food

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Wait a few days longer also in yoy incubation stages establish larger root system before dropping into the system that will definitely help in the future

AzGrowGuy

AzGrowGuy

I am going to sprout some new seeds in rapid rooters and then use a bubbler setup with a pump to top feed once they have enough roots to go in the dwc.

someone in another forum mentioned water temp being too high might be the issue. It’s been hovering around 75. How high can the temp go before I run into problems?

AzGrowGuy

AzGrowGuy

Well,

I started out again with 2 more white widow seeds. This time, I used rapid rooters and placed them under a work light until they had roots showing.
I also added a pond pump to turn my dwc into more of a bubbleponics setup.
I decided to use distilled water this time adding hydroguard, calmag, and flora nutrients.

I started off very low at about 200ppm. I also lowered my wf-1000d light to about 1ft above the seedlings. This worked great! I let it go for about 10 days and then upped it to 350ppm with my next reservoir change. I was seeing a little yellowing at that point.
I have now changed it again and am up to 600ppm. The lower leaves have been turning yellow. Ph has been steady at 5.75-6 throughout.
It has gotten a lot warmer outside so I switched to 18 hours of light instead of 24 to help keep the temp in the tent down. That definitely helped.
The seedlings have been in the dwc setup for about 2 weeks and I am getting ready for another res change. I am thinking I should go back to a lower ppm. Any ideas what I should shoot for?
I have yet to find a good guide for what ppm I should shoot for for dwc so if anyone has one I am all ears. Thanks!

6DA6A866 4644 4761 A138 7982F0054D19
E71911BB E7E7 42F5 9446 C73D7B451DD9
E3D07100 8F93 42C4 B335 B7590BD58CC6
030409DD 9071 4EDA B40D C6EFA4F09AE8
54543A0F C3BF 4BD4 B2D6 704193205657
DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

How often are they getting watered? And i would go by this schedule. Follow it exact for the light feeding measurements.

Screenshot 20210517 185105 Drive
Top Bottom