Hawaiian Sativa, First Tent Grow

• Thread starter mustang_14282
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mustang_14282

mustang_14282

Hey All,

I'd like to know if anyone in here has grown Hawaiian Sativa and what kind of issues I might encounter and what to lookout for.
I got 5 feminized seeds from Montreal Cannabis Seeds

As the title says, this will be my first time growing in an actual grow tent. Ive grown a half dozen times. A few times out in the bush and a few in a closet. I have not had good success. I know most of the reason for my poor success has been due to a list of different reasons. A lot of it was due to bad environment, poor soil and nutrients, laziness and thinking I can handle more than I actually can as a rookie. I've posted my setup in a previous post back in April but I decided to do an outdoor grow this summer and it got ruined by a tornado.

Here is my setup.

On shelving unit
3 X 18" T5 with plastic propagator (for seedlings)
2 X 45 Watt "Root Farm" LED panel (for 2-4 weeks veg with LST)
Large whole room humidifier (it gets really dry in the winter in my house.)
Oscillating fan

For flowering,
24"x48"x60" grow tent
190 CFM inline fan with speed controller & carbon filter (mounted outside tent)
4 X Cree CXB3590 COB's with a 250w LED driver at 1400mA without a dimmer. Setup on 4"x 42" rail about 10" apart. (mounted at top of tent)
2 X Fans, 1 small at the top of the tent, 1 medium oscillating fan on the floor of the tent
Small humidifier on floor of tent

Small seedling pots
Solo cup size pots
3/4 gal pots
3 gal pots
Black Gold seedling mix
Fox Farm Happy Frog soil
Extra perlite
RO water
Remo nutrients Supercharged kit
PH tester, TDS tester
Syringes for dispensing nutrients

I only plan on growing only 1 plant as I don't want to overdo anything or over work myself as I work full time and can't take care of too many plants and I don't want to have too much to do at harvest.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

I would run at least 2 in case you mess up and accidentally kill one. If they are true sativa genetics then you will want to flip them to 12/12 early and anticipate a really long flowering time with a ton of stretch. Also true sativa plants sometimes prefer a longer dark period so for instance instead of the traditional 12/12 you can go to a 11/13 or sometimes even 10/14. Good luck!

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

You want it easy yet you chose one of the harder ways to grow.
Totally organic is the easiest.
You will have to keep track of all kinds of stuff like ppms, pH, EC, TDS... all sorts of extra work
We prep the soil and it's pretty much just water from that point on. An occasional tea if it's really needed.
You can see how it works here;

SF1000 goes Organic in our 2x4 | THCFarmer
I agree with this personally I like to amend my soil blend so that it has most of what the plant needs already in it. This way I am using plain water most of the time however I will hit it with some dissolvable fertilizers and CalMag a few times to give the plants that little extra boost when they call for it. This prevents you from having to be mixing constantly and it removes room for potential mixing errors. But if you are a cautious and calculated person your way will work fine so long as you are really on top of your feedings and stay consistent.

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

I would run at least 2 in case you mess up and accidentally kill one. If they are true sativa genetics then you will want to flip them to 12/12 early and anticipate a really long flowering time with a ton of stretch. Also true sativa plants sometimes prefer a longer dark period so for instance instead of the traditional 12/12 you can go to a 11/13 or sometimes even 10/14. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! I chose to only grow 1 plant since I'm not sure if the light I have is sufficient for more than 1. (luckily I have yet to have killed one) I am aware of the possible stretch. I do plan on letting them veg for a short period but I also plan on doing some lst.
I was not aware of the longer dark periods though. I will look into doing this when I get into the flowering stage.
Welcome to the FARM and Thanks for Sharing! 👍 😎

Do you have pics?

@Backyard_Boogie gave you some good tips, good luck and have FUN! 👍🙂
Thank you! I do have pics, I will post them shortly.

You want it easy yet you chose one of the harder ways to grow.
Totally organic is the easiest.
You will have to keep track of all kinds of stuff like ppms, pH, EC, TDS... all sorts of extra work
We prep the soil and it's pretty much just water from that point on. An occasional tea if it's really needed.
You can see how it works here;

SF1000 goes Organic in our 2x4 | THCFarmer
In case it isn't clear, I'm quite a newb here. The more posts I read in this and other forums, the more I feel like a total newb!

I was under the impression that the way I'm doing it was an easier way to do things. I though that organic soil and hydroponics was for more advanced/experienced growers. Once I use the fox farm soil I have, I will have to give that a try.
Thanks for all the tips and positive feedback everyone!

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

Here are the pics of my setup and of the plant I currently have going. She is currently 10 days old
1 shelf
2 seedling light
3 veg light
4 tent
5 tent light
6 baby
7 next pot
8 10 days 1
9 10 days
10 days 2

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

In case it isn't clear, I'm quite a newb here.
New to growing, or the forum?

If you are new to growing, then you need to read these to start.
Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

After you read and digest all of that, then you want to watch Hydro 101 by Dr. Bruce.
He is growing Hydroponic which is pretty much what you have chosen. You want to pay more attention to the info about light.
Especially the DLI and how to calculate it.

Holler when you finish all that and lets see how you are doing then.

Dr. Bruce, Hydroponics 101,Max Yields, DLI

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

Nice setup. Plant looks good.
You will need some drainage added to that pot.
Not quite this much.
Thanks for the kind words.
good to know, I will add more drainage holes
New to growing, or the forum?

A little bit of both, I have grown a few times but have had mixed results.
Good info in the watering article! Thanks,

Gonna watch the video in a little bit after getting the kid from school.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

A bit of advice, do not put your plant in flower early, train...Train....TRAIN your plant before flower. Better to take a few extra weeks topping and tying down branches, than put it in early. I mean who wants to spend 3-4 months in flower for 1/2 a zip?

@Backyard_Boogie gave you some sound "Sativa" flowering advice. Lighting 11/13 is the way to go for the light schedule, it can cut a week off finishing for some strains.

Happy growing

FOE20

FOE20

Maestro Loco
Supporter
Id say let it grow as natural as possible till you get to know her...If shes or he is even worth keeping...and I personally dont top or train or anything the first run...I want to see it in true form first..
Then abuse it later.....thats just my 2 pents...Longest Ive ever flowered a super Sat was 32wks...not worth it.....but dont judge a plant by 1 flower winddoiw either, try multiple windows if possible.....
But either way if your growing Sativas and are in a hurry maybe try Indicas....and power to it
FOE20

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

Hey everyone. I know its been a long time but I thought I'd give an update on how things are.

A few weeks into starting, I nearly killed my girl (don't ask. lol). Because of that, I started two more girls (Quebec Blue from MCS). They all are alive and well. The Sativa is in week 5 of flowering and the other two I planted are in their first week of flowering. Here is a pic of them in my tent.

Tent2

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

So last week I had to pull one of the two QC Blue plants out of my tent. The one had turned hermie. I'm guessing that she turned due to the stress I put her through during her first week when I nearly killed her from under watering. So I'm down to 2 girls in there. My Hawaiian sativa is looking really good. She hasn't been an extremely thirsty plant. She's been getting 3/4 gal of water once a week with a good amount of run off every time. I've now stopped giving her any cal/mag but still giving her the rest of the bloom nutes. From my calculations, she would be about 2-3 weeks from being done.

I know, I know, never just go by timeline given by the seed company. I have a jeweler's magnifier to look at the trichomes when she gets closer.

As for my one remaining QC Blue, she is done her 3rd weeks of flowering. She growing well and seems to be getting bigger and more hairs by the day. She's a bit bigger that the Hawaiian girl so she's been a bit more thirsty. She's been getting 1 gal of water once a week and having the typical amount of run off.
Hawaiian 8 weeks
Hawaiian 8 weeks1
Qc 3 weeks
Qc 3 weeks1

So since these two girls are further along. I'm contemplating starting two more seeds. I've got a bunch more I'm just not sure if I should start them now or give it another week or two.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated

mustang_14282

mustang_14282

well everyone the hawaiian sativa is now done. she was cut yesterday. The two QC blue plants I had going both went hermie on me. :( so I started 2 new girls the day I found out, the day my last entry was posted.

Here is what the hawaiian looked like about 6 days before I cut her down (Feb 20) and the 2 new plants I started 3 weeks ago but pictures were taken today. The taller wider one is a Blue Dream and the shorter smaller one is a Cinderella 99
Hawaiian1
Hawaiian2
Hawaiian3
Hawaiian4
Hawaiian5

Blue dream1
Blue dream2
Cinderella 1
Cinderella2

Top Bottom