Hay smell smell smell smell smell?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

I chopped 6 plants. Did 2 per day.

plant 1 and 2 had the most drying time. About 4 days. I felt them and they felt bone dry so I panicked and jarred it all. One oz per jar.

The humidity of jars is 45-70% (some are drier than others)

two of the jars smell amazing. Like the bud. The other two jars smell gross and like hay. Why? Is it fixable?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I chopped 6 plants. Did 2 per day.

plant 1 and 2 had the most drying time. About 4 days. I felt them and they felt bone dry so I panicked and jarred it all. One oz per jar.

The humidity of jars is 45-70% (some are drier than others)

two of the jars smell amazing. Like the bud. The other two jars smell gross and like hay. Why? Is it fixable?
Dried to fast.... they may improve a bit after a weeks weeks in the jars.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I find i cant schedule drying with different plants like i cant schedule watering. And bud densities are all different. So each set of flowers gets hung til it is truly ready for jars and then burped according to its individual feel and smell. Every plant can be different. Shortcuts cut quality.

takes practice and patience.

CF89

CF89

See it seems opposite. If anything it’s not dry enough. If that makes sense?

The first plant I trimmed seems to smell good according to my notes. It’s the driest.

is it possible I didn’t let the later ones dry enough? They DID feel dry and crumbly when on the drying rack but now that they’re in the jars they’re not so dry. Sticky.

Maybe I should leave the lids open for a full day?

Right now I burp every 12 or so hours

9E48133F F5EB 4C97 86F3 BB21CB247CCF
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

See it seems opposite. If anything it’s not dry enough. If that makes sense?

The first plant I trimmed seems to smell good according to my notes. It’s the driest.

is it possible I didn’t let the later ones dry enough? They DID feel dry and crumbly when on the drying rack but now that they’re in the jars they’re not so dry. Sticky.

Maybe I should leave the lids open for a full day?

Right now I burp every 12 or so hours

weed jarred too early definitely has a grassy smell. When i see they are still too wet after the first 6-8 hours in the jar i take them out and lay them on a a screen to dry more. Turning them after a while. Then re jar and try again. As long as they are still moist nothing can really go wrong. Just always focus on drying even and slow.

CF89

CF89

So drying even and slow.. can that be done in the jars? I slowly rotate them and burp them every few hours for a few mins.

I feel like it’s a fine line now. They’re been in jars for a few days now bring burped and aired out lots. The rack might be a bit much.

3/4 plants smell like hay 😭

growsince79

growsince79

So drying even and slow.. can that be done in the jars? I slowly rotate them and burp them every few hours for a few mins.

I feel like it’s a fine line now. They’re been in jars for a few days now bring burped and aired out lots. The rack might be a bit much.

3/4 plants smell like hay 😭
Did you wait until you can break the buds off the stem?

Growingfather

Growingfather

Used to always have this problem as well it’s because I was jarring them too early the little buds should flick off and u should hear a crack in the stem like everyone says dry for minimum of 7-10days

CF89

CF89

Did you wait until you can break the buds off the stem?
No. But very close.

I waited that long last time and was told it was a tadddd too long. Just before that point.

so that’s good to know it’s salvageable and not ruined if I just let it dry more.

growsince79

growsince79

No. But very close.

I waited that long last time and was told it was a tadddd too long. Just before that point.

so that’s good to know it’s salvageable and not ruined if I just let it dry more.
Every good bud I grow breaks off before it's completely dry. Straight to the jar perfect moisture every time.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Used to always have this problem as well it’s because I was jarring them too early the little buds should flick off and u should hear a crack in the stem like everyone says dry for minimum of 7-10days
I generally agree with the 7-10 day drying time frame but I feel like its worth mentioning that it does depend on where you live. Humidity plays a giant role. Also of course where you are hanging it and if that space is a closed or sealed space. For example in SoCal right now we just had a desert wind event and the last 2 days we have had an average humidity between 7%-15%. Super Super dry. It's creating gnarly wild fires. I have plants hanging in my tent right now and I guarantee you I will have to jar them in closer to 3 days. Any longer and they would be absolutely zapped. They would just crumble in your hand like dust. It's really shitty here because the harvest season late year also coincides with the Santa Ana winds. It fucks EVERYTHING UP makes curing a total bitch! Super frustrating I have thought about purchasing some kind of sealed humidifier rack to put my buds in. Maybe someone on here can comment on this Im not too familiar with it but wish there was an inexpensive product.

growsince79

growsince79

Every good bud I grow breaks off before it's completely dry. Straight to the jar perfect moisture every time.
I generally agree with the 7-10 day drying time frame but I feel like its worth mentioning that it does depend on where you live. Humidity plays a giant role. Also of course where you are hanging it and if that space is a closed or sealed space. For example in SoCal right now we just had a desert wind event and the last 2 days we have had an average humidity between 7%-15%. Super Super dry. It's creating gnarly wild fires. I have plants hanging in my tent right now and I guarantee you I will have to jar them in closer to 3 days. Any longer and they would be absolutely zapped. They would just crumble in your hand like dust. It's really shitty here because the harvest season late year also coincides with the Santa Ana winds. It fucks EVERYTHING UP makes curing a total bitch! Super frustrating I have thought about purchasing some kind of sealed humidifier rack to put my buds in. Maybe someone on here can comment on this Im not too familiar with it but wish there was an inexpensive product.
Have you tried a fan with wet towels? Rice cooker in a closet?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Have you tried a fan with wet towels? Rice cooker in a closet?
Yes I have tried the wet towel trick. That does seem to help for sure. Never heard of the rice cooker trick dam that sounds like a good idea. I should try that one. Im glad you said this man because it reminded me that i forgot to put a towel in the bottom of the tent. I chopped 2 days ago so i will go out in the garage tonight and toss a wet one down on the floor. Good call man thanks! 👍

growsince79

growsince79

Yes I have tried the wet towel trick. That does seem to help for sure. Never heard of the rice cooker trick dam that sounds like a good idea. I should try that one. Im glad you said this man because it reminded me that i forgot to put a towel in the bottom of the tent. I chopped 2 days ago so i will go out in the garage tonight and toss a wet one down on the floor. Good call man thanks! 👍
I just made it up like 10 min ago. Hope it helps.

CF89

CF89

What’s wrong with a spare 3x3 tent, some 3’ diameter mesh racks, six levels of them. Hung them in my tent.
Get a humidifier and a digital adjuster. Done. There’s your controlled environment for like $150?

basically what I did minus the humidifier. It was about 50% in my tent.

I am going to leave the jars open all day tomorrow

Latest posts

Top Bottom