Heat mats and germination.

• Thread starter songbird420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

songbird420

Hey fam. Have a question about germinating with heat mats. i've decided to start a new range of beans. the temps in my crib exceed 83 degrees. given that my mat will increase my temps by 10-20%, is the heat mat necessary, or will its use cause excessive heat in the medium? my intention was to soak for 24 hours then place the beans in dixie cups in a domed prop tray over the mat. Is it advisable to use the mat during the soaking period?
thx in advance.

W

WilliamsWonder

I would forget about the mat. Just put your seeds in your cups and keep them moist. With temps like that the humidity will help them sprout. The mat will probably make to much heat and possibly cause more males.

WilliamsWonder

R

ReelBusy1

save your mat for winter, your temps are fine.
Good luck with the germination!

homebrew420

homebrew420

Hey songbird, these guys are right you couldn't get much better temps for sprouting. Peace and good luck.

S

songbird420

Thanks fellas, i've scrapped the mat. thx for the positive vibes.

J

joe.5

I've found that a heat mat is useful in a propagation tent... they are far bigger than a normal propagator and a thermostat controlled heat mat in a tend works well.. but if you are using normal propagators then you wont need a heat mat til ur temps drop during the winter (depending on geographical location and how bad ur winters are).. keep us posted on you progress fellow farmer

A

audia4king

heres my secret i use ph water 7.0 neutral add superthrive throw rockwool in then just dip paper towel in there put that in the microwave a few seconds till lukewarm then add seeds put in a porcelain plate another on top wrap it all in a sweater for as long as 2-6 days then walla

C

crazycanuckster

mats are waste of money....

heard from others that they are just a money grab....not necessary....the fluo you put them under will have a ballast that created heat and is usually sufficient....gl

B

BETA

Wet wash cloths, Roll your seeds in it, Put it in an air tight baggie, put it in a dark spot under 1 mat and you will have them germinated in 24-48 hours.

C

calibob

The heat mat works great for the first few days, then I usually shut it down.

B

bigyieldsonly

i had the same issue forget the heat matts till winter and if you are using humidity dome i would get rid of that too

C

captainkip

when growing you should keep your grow room at about 80 degrees fahrenheit atleast thats what i've learned from using virtual grow programs such as virtual grow 2 and highgrow 4.20 the plants can survive between i cant remember something like 60-95 degrees fahrenheit please correct me if i'm wrong

Latest posts

Top Bottom