Heat stress or too much Nitrogen?

• Thread starter grotebag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

grotebag

Last week was HOT in CA and a couple of my plants turned very dark and some leaves(20%) began to 'canoe' and curl.
No signs of 'nutrient burn', just thin dark curling leaves.
Soil is a light clay with 20% wood chips/15% chicken manure, biweekly organic 1-1-1 fert since planting, 7 gallon fabric pots.
Three weeks ago I started applying 'Tiger Bloom(?)' which is a 2-8-3 fertilizer at 1/2 strength and only once a week, 2 applications so far.
My plants have begun to look better now that the weather has cooled, but it is 10 days since I last fertilized them.
Add to this the plants get the 'lost coast plant therapy' at half strength every 5 days due to spider mites.
Was the problem caused by the heat or the fertilizer, and how can I know if/when to add the Tiger bloom stuff back in?
How long should I wait?
Lousy photo but the two on the left are darker than those on the right.
TY in advance.

Heat stress or too much nitrogen
GrimReffer

GrimReffer

Last week was HOT in CA and a couple of my plants turned very dark and some leaves(20%) began to 'canoe' and curl.
No signs of 'nutrient burn', just thin dark curling leaves.
Soil is a light clay with 20% wood chips/15% chicken manure, biweekly organic 1-1-1 fert since planting, 7 gallon fabric pots.
Three weeks ago I started applying 'Tiger Bloom(?)' which is a 2-8-3 fertilizer at 1/2 strength and only once a week, 2 applications so far.
My plants have begun to look better now that the weather has cooled, but it is 10 days since I last fertilized them.
Add to this the plants get the 'lost coast plant therapy' at half strength every 5 days due to spider mites.
Was the problem caused by the heat or the fertilizer, and how can I know if/when to add the Tiger bloom stuff back in?
How long should I wait?
Lousy photo but the two on the left are darker than those on the right.
TY in advance.
It sounds like it was the heat to me, when they canoe like that usually it has to do with the plant transpiring. How is your humidity in that greenhouse? I wold check your vdp

Top Bottom