Heat Treatment For Mites

• Thread starter Peff
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Myth or legit?

• Total voters
P

Peff

Is heat treatment a myth or is it legit? I keep hearing different things about it, but I've seen Capulator and Jack ( the guy that owns Jungle Boys, I know he used to post here ) talking about it. 120-140F for a couple of hours?

Heat treatment for mites
Nugg

Nugg

I don't think that short of time would completely get rid of a infestation...and the time it would take seems like would kill plants..it drives them out is all...they make some pretty safe bombs.

Dan789

Dan789

Things to keep in mind before any new grows:
5-10% Bleach water solution, wipe down everything in grow area...initiate protocols for keeping bugs out, isolate and treat any new plants and soil before being brought into cleaned grow area.
Or grow from seeds, use only trusted soil mix.
Keep temps on low end of spectrum as pest reproduction rates increase along with temps. Watch and control humidity in grow area, (that’s why tents are so popular).
Keep air in circulation throughout grow while providing exhaust to remove and replenish humidity laden air.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Yeah if there aren't any plants in there go for it.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Things to keep in mind before any new grows:
5-10% Bleach water solution, wipe down everything in grow area...initiate protocols for keeping bugs out, isolate and treat any new plants and soil before being brought into cleaned grow area.
Or grow from seeds, use only trusted soil mix.
Keep temps on low end of spectrum as pest reproduction rates increase along with temps. Watch and control humidity in grow area, (that’s why tents are so popular).
Keep air in circulation throughout grow while providing exhaust to remove and replenish humidity laden air.

10% min if you want to kill everything.

P

PharmHand

The thing that freaks me out about that high of heat in a grow room is the possibility of causing electrical issues. Most wiring insulation is rated for 70-90c which is way above 130f but if the wires are in use/drawing high current they’re already warm -and most current ratings are rated for ambient temps. Idk- Freaks me out. Had an issue and it got to 130f+ in my room. I accidentally set a gavita timer to on instead of auto and my ac decided to shit the bed, bad timing. That was scary.

Evidently bleach isn’t even strong enough to kill some fungi spores in concentrations that won’t corrode/degrade surfaces. Been using a specialty greenhouse disinfectant in a foam canon, much better option for sterilization

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Xylene is a excellent cleaning agent for bug death in a empty grow room/tent.
Will kill all bugs and eggs. You must use proper protective equipment when sterilization of the grow. Fresh air circulation and chemical gloves when sterilizing. I’ve found misting with a hand held sprayer is the best way for installation. Spray then wipe down with a rag. Pay attention to those tite nooks and crannies they could be dormant or eggs hiding where you can’t wipe down.

I

Ikkt

Xylene is a excellent cleaning agent for bug death in a empty grow room/tent.
Will kill all bugs and eggs. You must use proper protective equipment when sterilization of the grow. Fresh air circulation and chemical gloves when sterilizing. I’ve found misting with a hand held sprayer is the best way for installation. Spray then wipe down with a rag. Pay attention to those tite nooks and crannies they could be dormant or eggs hiding where you can’t wipe down.

Xylene against mite eggs sounds interesting, never heard anything like that. Could you elaborate what the benefits are compared to other less unhealthy solvents?
If it kills eggs and mites for good you could just spray everything and let it dry again, no need to wipe it off then?
Could you just fumigate with it as long as you don't blow house up and know what you're doing?
Is it especially poisonous for arachnids or is it just like any other solvent?
(At the moment I use pure, nearly dry isopropanol)

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Xylene against mite eggs sounds interesting, never heard anything like that. Could you elaborate what the benefits are compared to other less unhealthy solvents?
If it kills eggs and mites for good you could just spray everything and let it dry again, no need to wipe it off then?
Could you just fumigate with it as long as you don't blow house up and know what you're doing?
Is it especially poisonous for arachnids or is it just like any other solvent?
(At the moment I use pure, nearly dry isopropanol)
It works the same as isopropyl evaporators just the same. Not much different at all. I brought it up because I use it. I work in the construction/commercial roofing industry. It’s used for cleaning TPO membrane on commercial roof systems. I line my walls and floor with TPO because of the reflectivity and the ease of cleaning and maintenance. It is way more superior than anything you can by on the market. And it’s Easter to clean with in my case.

P

PharmHand

It works the same as isopropyl evaporators just the same. Not much different at all. I brought it up because I use it. I work in the construction/commercial roofing industry. It’s used for cleaning TPO membrane on commercial roof systems. I line my walls and floor with TPO because of the reflectivity and the ease of cleaning and maintenance. It is way more superior than anything you can by on the market. And it’s Easter to clean with in my case.
Is tpo easy to install? Is it glue down? Does it offgas a lot when new ? Thinking of using it for wall covering too. U heat it up to form corners ?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Is tpo easy to install? Is it glue down? Does it offgas a lot when new ? Thinking of using it for wall covering too. U heat it up to form corners ?
You fully adhere it to the wall and floor. The glue is specifically for TPO comes in 5 gallon bucket you set the material where your going to install gold back roll onto floor and material you let it flash over till it’s dry to the touch then roll the material over where your installing then roll it in with a roller. $150 for a bucket of glue. Wall covering is perfect for you. Depending on how tall your walls are the rolls come in 4-8-10 foot rolls depending on manufacturer. No there is no off gassing once dried it’s done. You would only need to cut your corners so it folds in tite. If you want to do floors youlll need to use a lyster commercial hand welder to heat the seams to make a water tite condition.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
It does off gas very badly during installation you have to use proper ventilation when installing in an enclosed space it will drop you without ventilation

B

Burned Haze

Im talking with no plants, before a new batch

* Pylon tr would do it ( as long as you know how to do your ventilation properly or could be deadly like all those TR )

But If it was me I would do this instead

1.H202 @ 5% clean everything ( including all items you use in your grow, make sure to spray/clean the ladders or anything that could have contact ) 2. Physan 20 spray at mold dosage rate (1.5 tablespoon per gal ) spray everything down and let it fully dry on before you tread around the room ( min 10 minutes )

3. put a bait plant in the room ( feed it drench some unregulated/unallowed 100% deadly shit (throw away all medium and plant aft wards and don’t compost or let anything agriculture you want get with it ). Right when you see first sign of the spider mites ( or any other pests you find if you do) , apply like its ww2. You just have to make sure to know what species it is or your not doing shit. Put potato skins on top of the plant and flip it every 12-24 hours and see if there’s any root based pests .Put both blue/yellow pest traps to see if there’s any other pests maybe your missing out on.

If you aren’t already I would have dedicated clothes/coveralls for growing and dedicated shoes ( I used rubber boots so I can clean the. And put physan 20 on them ) . Do you have a hepa filter on your intake to your grow? That’s also a major defense from the outer worlds pest.

4. Once your growing again ( in the room ) I would do a rotate IPM plan every 3 days with multiple Miticides starting with azaguard to slow the pest down/slow reproduction %, then venerate xc , then grandevo and if you can afford it BotaniGard 22 wp and pfr 97 ( you can mix all together all the last three to make a super fighter if you want or mix and match, remember using only one pesticide even if it works shows can make super bugs or not work in time )

Everyone has their own ways/views, but I don’t like to damage my room for a IPM plan that would just stress my plants out and never prolly beat mites Inless it was some weak species or small population ( that u didn’t need to do that in the first place lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thelight413

Thelight413

Why are people going against the tech that a majority of large facilities are using (Heat Treatment), seems like its effective if Jungle Boys and Capulator are relying on it as there main source of Sanitization for these massive facilities. How many people in this thread actually know what they're talking about, I'm hear to learn, not to talk out of my ass about things I don't know without facts to back it up....

what about air born pests, pests in hard to reach areas, sanitizing with bleach isn't going to do anything if you miss direct contact with any egg or bug. That's the problem with using things like bleach, with pests like broads/russets or aphids, it takes one egg to be missed for the population to pop off again, heat treating avoids having to directly hit everything. There are stories of people with 20k sqft warehouses, coming down with infestations, cleaning everything with whatever, bleach, h202, the works, and they start back up from seed...and whatever the pest may be..returns a few weeks down the line. This could easily happen in your little grow tent as well.

Can anyone share some more information in regards to heat treatment and their own experience with it, like what do you use if you don't have enough lights to heat the room to the ideal temperature, is there a heater that anyone would recommend, I see a lot of heaters with automatic shutoffs once the room is at a certain temperature. Please don't sleep on the heat treatment, I've seen several well respected growers recommend this, why tf would cap and jungle boys share it if it wasn't true, there is data showing that heat treatment works and is one of the most effective methods at sanitizing a room IN BETWEEN RUNS, there are no plants in these rooms.

Be open minded, or come with facts.

stuccoman

stuccoman

Hi I am new here. I have been reading many posts on this forum but finally became a member so I could add my 2 cents.
Here is a brief history of how I got into this:
I am new here and am a very new to growing. In Sept this year, my eldest daughter gave me a plant rather than some of her bud that I asked her for. I have not smoked anything since I was 17 (now 45) because my girlfriend at that time (now my wife) figured she was allergic to it due to some heart issues she had when it was smoked around her. Now almost 30 years later, my youngest daughter who is almost 17 deals with wicked headaches due to a chiari malformation of her skull. So in September I ordered some high CBD strains online hoping to make oil for her. We had purchased CBD oil online and found it to be not very strong and really had no effect on her pain. This weed I ordered didn't show up before the weekend and I was stoked to make the oil so that is how I ended up trying to bum some bud off my daughter.
Long story short, I got her plant, then got another strain from her. I did a shit ton of reading on grow rooms, built a small 4'x3'x5'high grow room in the corner of my garage for the two plants, threw 2 led lights over the plants and watched them grow. It didn't take long and I had a couple clones, learned how to top, learned how to fim, learned how to deal with spider mites that I believed were on another plant that I brought in. Also learned how to deal with fungus gnats.
My little room was getting small very fast so I built an addition on the back of my garage. Basically an enclosed 15'x 30' lean to to store shit and park my tractor in along with a 12x8 grow room.
While getting the new grow room ready, I may not have been watching my plants too carefully and got a fungus gnat infestation. I wanted to make sure I got rid of them before moving them into the new room. I listen to a lot of growcast podcasts and pretty much any other cannabis podcasts to try and learn as much as I can.
I grow organically so trying to stay away from too many chemicals.
I heard on a podcast about pumping the room up to 120F for an hour and it kills all the bugs..... and bonus the plants love it! Just gotta give them lots of water to begin with.
So after hearing that podcast, I decided to pump up the temperature in the room and clear it of fungas gnats.
I used a small electric heater and 2 electric frying pan elements connected to a thermal switch to try and get my room up to temp.
It struggled hard to get there but eventually it got to about 118F so I left it for an hour and then shut down the heaters and let it cool slowly without opening the doors up. I was hoping to get the soil hot also to take care of the gnats.
Well... to my dismay, the next day I had a shit ton of gnats. I think they very much enjoyed the warm soil and hatched like crazy.... I then sprayed with neem oil, soaked my soil with peroxide/water mix to kill the eggs and got rid of the gnats.... Then transferred them the next day into my new grow room.
I transplanted them into larger pots and as I was doing that, I noticed the leaves were starting to curl and go brown along the edges. At first I thought it was maybe the combination of heat, treating with neem, peroxide, changing locations, and also transplanting them..... but as the leaves did what the did, I started to realize that they were stressed and burnt from the heat I threw at them.
The plants are starting to do ok now, growing towards the light and slowly outgrowing those ugly leaves.

My point to this long winded post is that I don't think you should cook them with the plants in it. Unless maybe you have a way to bring it up to temperature quickly and then after the hour cool it down right away.
The more I think about it, the more I believe the guy on the podcast was talking about killing spider mites with the heat, not fungus gnats.
My novice opinion says I don't think heat like that is all that good for your plants.

Top Bottom