Heating or air conditioning loss from fan?

• Thread starter echdk3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
echdk3

echdk3

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I just got approved for my medical card and cultivation license and I am planning my first grow. I am very excited!
I plan on setting up a 4x4 tent with a ventilation system with the vented air leaving the house. One thing I’m worried about is heating or air conditioning loss due to the fan venting so much air to the outside. It seems like that much air leaving the house would cause my heater or a/c to just be on all the time and for the house to basically not be comfortable because the hvac just couldn’t keep up.
What do you experienced farmers think? Is this a common problem? Any help at all would be very much appreciated!
Thank you all in advance!

shenkerism

shenkerism

Comfortable depends on the sizing of your HVAC system, and what you are trying to achieve. In an unventilated 4x4 tent, air temps can easily reach 100 degrees if the lights are not going to auto-dim. Exhausting the air to the outside or attic space (assuming it is dryish) will be better for your air conditioner, as it is unlikely that the outside air traveling in will be so hot. As the outside air gets cooler, you will be replacing that tent air with much colder outside air, so when it comes time to heat your home, your heater could be fighting to heat much more than your AC was fighting to cool.

Summer: 90 degree air in the tent is replaced by 80 degree air from outside. Your AC wants to drop that 80 down to 72, 8 degrees of work.
Winter: 90 degree air in the tent is replaced by 40 degree air from outside. Your heater wants to being that 40 up to 72, 32 degrees of work.

I suggest using an exhaust fan on a timer that matches the lights, Titan makes decent power strips that have a timer built in. If you like to tinker and don't mind mild electrical risk, there are "attic thermostats" which are specifically designed thermostats with ranges like 80-120, designed to switch on and off attic exhaust fans.
Obviously this is a vast simplification, which depends on your comfort zone and climate area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom