Hell Yea! Sweet purchase, Pharmacopoeia of the United States 1880 RARE

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
So I got to hunting for an old Pharmacopoeia of the United States, was looking for something old, yet up till right before the advent of Corporate Medicine, but based upon accredited Scientific Principles, and application.

Everything was looking expensive, but this one was on auction.

This sucka's going to have pages up on pages of Cannabis goodies in it, plus a plethora on virtually every herbal/natural remedy and ailment known to man upwards of the 19th century. Plus, it' comes with a freaking awesome antique doctors scale to boot. lol, what a score. Is that some opium I see on the end of that old spoon? lol, I'm psyched.
s-l1600 (19).jpg

s-l1600 (14).jpg

s-l1600 (16).jpg
s-l1600 (18).jpg
s-l1600 (17).jpg

s-l1600 (15).jpg

Moshmen

Moshmen

So I got to hunting for an old Pharmacopoeia of the United States, was looking for something old, yet up till right before the advent of Corporate Medicine, but based upon accredited Scientific Principles, and application.

This sucka's going to have pages up on pages of Cannabis goodies in it, plus a plethora on virtually every herbal/natural remedy and ailment known to man upwards of the 19th century. Plus, it' comes with a freaking awesome antique doctors scale to boot. lol, what a score. Is that some opium I see on the end of that old spoon? lol, I'm psyched.
View attachment 1171699
View attachment 1171704
View attachment 1171702View attachment 1171700View attachment 1171701

View attachment 1171703
Nice old score!

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Awesome find. I guess you will find some good old absinthe recipes and maybe some folklore/witchcraft recipes as well. If you see anything in the book you care to share then please do :)

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
And under capsicum the next one is capsaicum? :) maybe its the same thing..
Here it is; nothing else on the back page. I'm just getting through the actual primary/secondary list at page 65 and into more detailed preparation side. Most of the previous sections contain some old world, or hillbilly chemistry. Certainly an interesting book. A real eye opener into how modern medicine has evolved. Giving people lead, mercury, and arsenic. 🤪 Lots of rhizomes listed (even for Indica cannabis). I'm also posting up page 65, where the "recipe" sections begin. Acetum Opii (vinegar of opium)

IMG 20210928 105015

IMG 20210928 115858

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Alcohol, of course.
IMG 20210928 115131

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Damn, quite the volume of opium utilized in these recipes. It's kind of mind boggling to think at this time, it was likely readily available at scale. If one were to grow enough poppies to collect even close to five troy ounces of opium in the US today, they'd be locked up for intent to manufacture for sure.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Salix (willow) a very relevant and important medicine.

IMG 20210928 115706
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Damn, quite the volume of opium utilized in these recipes. It's kind of mind boggling to think at this time, it was likely readily available at scale. If one were to grow enough poppies to collect even close to five troy ounces of opium in the US today, they'd be locked up for intent to manufacture for sure.
That's why you need one of these...
S l1600 29

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

View attachment 1171699
View attachment 1171704
View attachment 1171702View attachment 1171700View attachment 1171701

View attachment 1171703
So, you are going to scan each page for us? Wow, that's so wonderful of you!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So, you are going to scan each page for us? Wow, that's so wonderful of you!
lol, I'll post some relevant highlights, but if anyone's interested in anything specific, I'll post what I can find on those as well. TBH, looks like they were giving people some pretty crazy stuff. No doubt some doctors were killing some of the people they were trying to help, or at minimum, making some problems worse.

No doubt that continues to happen today, but there's a little more peer review, and oversight, at least.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Very western and very cool. If you come across mentions of datura stramonium or other witchcraft drugs/plants its always interesting :) witches and herbsmen were learned in these things and suffered the fire for it.

Maybe mushrooms of the magic kind is also mentioned in the book. That would also be interesting to see.

But dont go to Great lengths for my curiosity, enjoy your book:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom