Hello everyone! Greetings from southern ON.

• Thread starter teejacks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
teejacks

teejacks

I joined a month or so ago and this site is awesome! I have had a green thumb my whole life and growing my own medicine has become quite a fun and interesting hobby. I would like to share what I have done to help some other people out on here hopefully. This is my first year growing cannabis and so far I am very pleased with my results. Lots of reading and research that has helped me get to this stage. This has honestly been quite easy (so far) as these plants are so resilient. I had a branch break 90% trying to train it but I taped it back together and it healed fully. Research is EVERYTHING! I am NOT an expert. I still learn things all the time.

So let me introduce my "ladies". Got a combo pack of feminized seeds (either god bud, blueberry, bc big bud, or nuken) seeing as I am experimenting I wanted different strains. I got a great deal on the seeds because they all came together in the same vial! Oops. Next year I am going to get seeds that are labeled lol. Might grow a couple strains that have a ratio of 1:1 thc:cbd as I like the benefits CBD has on myself. These plants this year have very little CBD I believe.

Anyways, I started them inside first week of April under a 400w cheap LED that seemed to work out just fine. I used dixie cups that had pro mix soil with no amendments. Then moved them to bigger pots about two or three weeks later with very little dry amendments added. Moved them outside second week of May after hardening them off for just a couple days. In a safe and secure spot in the middle of the bush! Now they get about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Feeding schedule is very simple and all organic. I amended the soil in the raised beds with bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, glacial rock dust, chicken manure, earth worm castings, vermiculite, peat moss, simple top soil and black mulch on top (gets hotttttt, don't go black, its all I had). Soil underneath looks like mostly rocky sand which makes for good runoff. Weekly feeding all year has been sprouted corn and mung bean seeds. Each month I will top dress with glacial rock dust and kelp meal. I then added European night crawlers and red wigglers to the soil in June to hopefully create air passageways for the roots to breathe and poop all over the soil.

I also planted some plants around the garden bed that are supposed to act as a natural pest deterrent. Added some flowers to attract pollinators (next year I will use marigolds), basil, peppermint, lavender, coriander, and yarrow. Yes they all take up nutrients but its alllllll good. A little critter ate the coriander within a week and the basil lasted quite a while but died off from not getting enough sunlight. I was first using insect frass as a weekly foliar spray (neem seed oil is hard to get in Canada). I know it sounds weird but it worked and bugs are pooping all over my plants regardless. One plant had a dock spider turn a top into a spider nest (should have got a picture of nest but just wanted it off asap) and it stunted the plants growth. The next week after the plant was infested with caterpillars. SO, I used a foliar spray called END ALL which seemed to work. Then used BTK the next week and rotating ever since with no insect frass. I will stop spraying soon and hope for the best.

As far as training and topping goes I tried two different strategies. An early top at about the fourth node and then a late top at about the tenth node (about three feet high). Early topping is usually for indoor growers and late topping is for outdoor growers from what I gathered. But it all comes down to personal preference and how often you tend to your plants. I only see these plants once a week at best so I prefer the later top as it gives the plants a stronger structure. Both plants that I topped at the fourth node are doing great but one I stretched out too much and the base of the plant is cracked in two but the plant is still killing it. Crazy stuff. I did about three major toppings but next year I will do more to keep the height down.

I think a major key to my success so far has been the raised garden beds. This allows the roots to go as deep as they want to go into the ground in search of nutrients and water, therefore increasing in size. Another key to my success is doing the research BEFORE I run into any problems. I had written out a yearly plan on what I am going to feed with a proper timeline. How do you start these inside? Where am I going to plant them? Where am I going to dry them? How do you train these plants to get a big yield? I already have other plans for next year that includes better spacing, a cover crop, better netting for support and a taller fence (scared about deer).

Thanks for reading my essay everybody and I hope someone can get something from this! I'm probably forgetting some details. If anybody has anything to add that would benefit me that would be great as well!

Thanks everybody

day one outside, make initial wiring wider next year
IMG_4818.JPG

late top, stretch two tops out then top again
IMG_4825.JPG

early top filling up the insides
IMG_4826.JPG

the plant i stretched too far
IMG_4827.JPG

lower branches starting to catch up
IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4833.JPG

making the fence wider
IMG_4850.JPG

stretchinggggg and supportingggg
IMG_4856.JPG

IMG_4858.JPG

attempt at supercropping
IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG

Trees. explosion of growth in july
IMG_4965.JPG

Trees. !12ft high is biggest. 6 ft high is smallest. uneven ground
IMG_4968.JPG

:cool:

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I joined a month or so ago and this site is awesome! I have had a green thumb my whole life and growing my own medicine has become quite a fun and interesting hobby. I would like to share what I have done to help some other people out on here hopefully. This is my first year growing cannabis and so far I am very pleased with my results. Lots of reading and research that has helped me get to this stage. This has honestly been quite easy (so far) as these plants are so resilient. I had a branch break 90% trying to train it but I taped it back together and it healed fully. Research is EVERYTHING! I am NOT an expert. I still learn things all the time.

So let me introduce my "ladies". Got a combo pack of feminized seeds (either god bud, blueberry, bc big bud, or nuken) seeing as I am experimenting I wanted different strains. I got a great deal on the seeds because they all came together in the same vial! Oops. Next year I am going to get seeds that are labeled lol. Might grow a couple strains that have a ratio of 1:1 thc:cbd as I like the benefits CBD has on myself. These plants this year have very little CBD I believe.

Anyways, I started them inside first week of April under a 400w cheap LED that seemed to work out just fine. I used dixie cups that had pro mix soil with no amendments. Then moved them to bigger pots about two or three weeks later with very little dry amendments added. Moved them outside second week of May after hardening them off for just a couple days. In a safe and secure spot in the middle of the bush! Now they get about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Feeding schedule is very simple and all organic. I amended the soil in the raised beds with bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, glacial rock dust, chicken manure, earth worm castings, vermiculite, peat moss, simple top soil and black mulch on top (gets hotttttt, don't go black, its all I had). Soil underneath looks like mostly rocky sand which makes for good runoff. Weekly feeding all year has been sprouted corn and mung bean seeds. Each month I will top dress with glacial rock dust and kelp meal. I then added European night crawlers and red wigglers to the soil in June to hopefully create air passageways for the roots to breathe and poop all over the soil.

I also planted some plants around the garden bed that are supposed to act as a natural pest deterrent. Added some flowers to attract pollinators (next year I will use marigolds), basil, peppermint, lavender, coriander, and yarrow. Yes they all take up nutrients but its alllllll good. A little critter ate the coriander within a week and the basil lasted quite a while but died off from not getting enough sunlight. I was first using insect frass as a weekly foliar spray (neem seed oil is hard to get in Canada). I know it sounds weird but it worked and bugs are pooping all over my plants regardless. One plant had a dock spider turn a top into a spider nest (should have got a picture of nest but just wanted it off asap) and it stunted the plants growth. The next week after the plant was infested with caterpillars. SO, I used a foliar spray called END ALL which seemed to work. Then used BTK the next week and rotating ever since with no insect frass. I will stop spraying soon and hope for the best.

As far as training and topping goes I tried two different strategies. An early top at about the fourth node and then a late top at about the tenth node (about three feet high). Early topping is usually for indoor growers and late topping is for outdoor growers from what I gathered. But it all comes down to personal preference and how often you tend to your plants. I only see these plants once a week at best so I prefer the later top as it gives the plants a stronger structure. Both plants that I topped at the fourth node are doing great but one I stretched out too much and the base of the plant is cracked in two but the plant is still killing it. Crazy stuff. I did about three major toppings but next year I will do more to keep the height down.

I think a major key to my success so far has been the raised garden beds. This allows the roots to go as deep as they want to go into the ground in search of nutrients and water, therefore increasing in size. Another key to my success is doing the research BEFORE I run into any problems. I had written out a yearly plan on what I am going to feed with a proper timeline. How do you start these inside? Where am I going to plant them? Where am I going to dry them? How do you train these plants to get a big yield? I already have other plans for next year that includes better spacing, a cover crop, better netting for support and a taller fence (scared about deer).

Thanks for reading my essay everybody and I hope someone can get something from this! I'm probably forgetting some details. If anybody has anything to add that would benefit me that would be great as well!

Thanks everybody

day one outside, make initial wiring wider next year
View attachment 890481

late top, stretch two tops out then top again
View attachment 890483

early top filling up the insides
View attachment 890484

the plant i stretched too far
View attachment 890485

lower branches starting to catch up
View attachment 890486

View attachment 890487

making the fence wider
View attachment 890493

stretchinggggg and supportingggg
View attachment 890494

View attachment 890495

attempt at supercropping
View attachment 890496

View attachment 890497

View attachment 890499

Trees. explosion of growth in july
View attachment 890501

Trees. !12ft high is biggest. 6 ft high is smallest. uneven ground
View attachment 890502

:cool:
I love it! Southern Ontario you say, what kind of a fall do you get there? Its the late flowering that causes me problems with fog and cold damp mornings turns my beautiful buds into moldy crap. I've never grown anything as spectacular as yours are, I hope those monster get a chance to ripen completely. Nice job please keep posting picks through to your harvest. I can only sit here in Nova Scotia in envy, drooling over those beauties.

teejacks

teejacks

I love it! Southern Ontario you say, what kind of a fall do you get there? Its the late flowering that causes me problems with fog and cold damp mornings turns my beautiful buds into moldy crap. I've never grown anything as spectacular as yours are, I hope those monster get a chance to ripen completely. Nice job please keep posting picks through to your harvest. I can only sit here in Nova Scotia in envy, drooling over those beauties.

Yeah I am not too sure how this is going to play out. Mornings will be damp and nights could get cold and first frost here can be anytime from oct. 7-21 I think. The spot actually gets some nice wind flow so I'm hoping that will help them dry out during the day with a little bit of sun. The insides are completely cleaned out and with any luck all the topping I did will create smaller buds which will be harder for mold and rot to set in. You should build a greenhouse! I want one

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah I am not too sure how this is going to play out. Mornings will be damp and nights could get cold and first frost here can be anytime from oct. 7-21 I think. The spot actually gets some nice wind flow so I'm hoping that will help them dry out during the day with a little bit of sun. The insides are completely cleaned out and with any luck all the topping I did will create smaller buds which will be harder for mold and rot to set in. You should build a greenhouse! I want one
I did lol (pics to follow) We've already got the fog here in the morning. I live on the South Coast and without the hot days to dry the moisture off the buds in the afternoons flowering then add a few rainy cloudy days /weeks and my nice plants turned to mush. Heart breaking after having such potential. I'm now indoor only with 1 small exception I'm not having any luck getting enough seeds going and I've only this one Cherry Bomb thats about a month old now and I'm moving her out during the day to this little folk art green house I built just for her then bring her back in for more light at night. With these guys moving around it wouldn't take long for them to devour my little girl.

Greenhouse1
Greenhouseopen
Bug hand
MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Awesome stuff! Plants are doing great! From southern ontario as well. Near toronto!

teejacks

teejacks

I did lol (pics to follow) We've already got the fog here in the morning. I live on the South Coast and without the hot days to dry the moisture off the buds in the afternoons flowering then add a few rainy cloudy days /weeks and my nice plants turned to mush. Heart breaking after having such potential. I'm now indoor only with 1 small exception I'm not having any luck getting enough seeds going and I've only this one Cherry Bomb thats about a month old now and I'm moving her out during the day to this little folk art green house I built just for her then bring her back in for more light at night. With these guys moving around it wouldn't take long for them to devour my little girl.

I like that set up you've done. Those are some big east coast caterpillars damn! Definitely key to keep those off the ladies. Just praying that the weather turns out nicely. If it doesn't then that'll be okay I learned a lot this year. If I was aloud to go indoors I would your plants inside look crazy good. Indoors seems like it would take out the elements and make everything much smoother

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I like that set up you've done. Those are some big east coast caterpillars damn! Definitely key to keep those off the ladies. Just praying that the weather turns out nicely. If it doesn't then that'll be okay I learned a lot this year. If I was aloud to go indoors I would your plants inside look crazy good. Indoors seems like it would take out the elements and make everything much smoother
Indoors still has its issues, but more controllable, with a lot of added costs, the cost of electricity is a big concern Plus humidifiers,dehumidifiers, nutrients, veg room lights, flower room lights, intake fans,exhaust fans, oscillating fans, sometimes odor control is an issue, timers, the electrical capasity is another issue, one 15 amp circut just won't do it. airconditioner (I need one ) with lights on now my 1000 w hps gets up to 90+f at 100% so I have had to run my ballast at 60&70% to keep temps down below 85f. It works great through the winter where I can keep it below 80f lights on. You also need a tent / tents or as in my case room to build the walls I used panda plastic and 1" x2" wood into 5'x5'sq frames.

I've always envied those in the tropics and the south ie: California where they get the weather to grow and harvest monsters just like yours. I really hope you get those things to at least 8 weeks.

Have they started to flower yet?

teejacks

teejacks

Indoors still has its issues, but more controllable, with a lot of added costs, the cost of electricity is a big concern Plus humidifiers,dehumidifiers, nutrients, veg room lights, flower room lights, intake fans,exhaust fans, oscillating fans, sometimes odor control is an issue, timers, the electrical capasity is another issue, one 15 amp circut just won't do it. airconditioner (I need one ) with lights on now my 1000 w hps gets up to 90+f at 100% so I have had to run my ballast at 60&70% to keep temps down below 85f. It works great through the winter where I can keep it below 80f lights on. You also need a tent / tents or as in my case room to build the walls I used panda plastic and 1" x2" wood into 5'x5'sq frames.

I've always envied those in the tropics and the south ie: California where they get the weather to grow and harvest monsters just like yours. I really hope you get those things to at least 8 weeks.

Have they started to flower yet?

All of that to think about and the start up cost didn't appeal to me for just an experiment. Most of the videos I have watched on youtube are from these organic farmers that grow beasts and thats what I wanted to recreate and see if it could be done successfully up here.

They have started to flower slightly. Some ahead of others

this one is stacking pretty well, the one that was first covered with a spider nest then caterpillars. BC Big Bud I think
IMG 5022

IMG 5036
IMG 5045

different plant
IMG 5044

this one is furthest behind
IMG 5046

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Hey thanks man! Just checked your thread and my god I hope mine turn out like your buds! :D

Thank you! I’m really stoked about my grow this year! Looks like you’re right on track to have even nicer buds!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
All of that to think about and the start up cost didn't appeal to me for just an experiment. Most of the videos I have watched on youtube are from these organic farmers that grow beasts and thats what I wanted to recreate and see if it could be done successfully up here.

They have started to flower slightly. Some ahead of others

this one is stacking pretty well, the one that was first covered with a spider nest then caterpillars. BC Big Bud I think
View attachment 891343
View attachment 891344View attachment 891347

different plant
View attachment 891346

this one is furthest behind
View attachment 891356
My gawd they're gorgeous, I had no idea that could be done up here. Green thumb you say! I 'm thinking all of your fingers are green as in The Jolly Green Giant. I'm excited for you, 1000 miles away, I think those girls are going to set light bulbs off on a lot of people up here with a ?????? ......really ........then a hmmmmmm .......next year I might........followed by how'd fk he do that. lol ( sorry stoned) I'm also thinking you're going to get bookmarked by a lot of us Canucks. Keep the pics rolling.

teejacks

teejacks

My gawd they're gorgeous, I had no idea that could be done up here. Green thumb you say! I 'm thinking all of your fingers are green as in The Jolly Green Giant. I'm excited for you, 1000 miles away, I think those girls are going to set light bulbs off on a lot of people up here with a ?????? ......really ........then a hmmmmmm .......next year I might........followed by how'd fk he do that. lol ( sorry stoned) I'm also thinking you're going to get bookmarked by a lot of us Canucks. Keep the pics rolling.

Don't pump my tires too hard or else they'll explode on me! I have seen some people up here growing some bushes/trees as big as mine if not bigger. Plus everything I have done to them is right up there so my secrets are out lol. Sharing and learning is what its all about

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Don't pump my tires too hard or else they'll explode on me! I have seen some people up here growing some bushes/trees as big as mine if not bigger. Plus everything I have done to them is right up there so my secrets are out lol. Sharing and learning is what its all about
I hear you lol What do they say on Broadway to give encouragement ? Break a leg. So in the out door grow should we say Have an early frost? Na that's just mean. GL

W

William007

Niagara here!

I have 4 going outdoors myself, and due to the concerns of a wet fall, I chose autos, and planted July 1st in hopes that I will harvest before October, and it is looking like that will be the case.

At 8 weeks now and suspect we go to 10-11...

teejacks

teejacks

Niagara here!

I have 4 going outdoors myself, and due to the concerns of a wet fall, I chose autos, and planted July 1st in hopes that I will harvest before October, and it is looking like that will be the case.

At 8 weeks now and suspect we go to 10-11...

ahhh just down the lake a little bit. Howdy! If it turns out to be a complete shitshow at the end come harvest I have a plan for light dep next year. I didn't know much about growing before I started so wanted to try whatever. Found out about autos too late because i already had my four!

teejacks

teejacks

I can now fully identify each of my plants because of the differences in flowering colours and plant characteristics. They've stopped their stretch and are starting to pack on the weight! Tasks included attaching string as horizontal trellis on the big plants (I was away too long and before I knew it I couldn't get a trellis over them properly). I top dressed with worm castings as well and watered. This is how they are looking this weekend!

IMG 5075

IMG 5074

BC Big Bud
IMG 5085

58889555895  799A6015 26AC 42C5 9AA3 0406643362B2

Look at the difference in stem size between the sunny and shady side of the plant!
IMG 5060

Blueberry is poppin finally. Noticed some mildew (I think) ALREADY and its the end of august! On the shady side of the plant only
IMG 5083

IMG 5082

God bud was the first to show signs of flowering, but has been stagnant and slowest to produce bud sites.
IMG 5084

IMG 5059

Found this guy creeping on the low around my plants! HELL NO
IMG 5080

Top Bottom