Hello Everyone

• Thread starter the chronic1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the chronic1

the chronic1

so, i have been growing cannabis for the last 5 years with another experienced grower. last year, i decided to grow on my own. i didn't have the freedom to try different things i wanted to try and i really wanted to get away from using chemical nutrients.

soil is my preferred grow method, but i am experimenting with new organic soil mixes instead of just taking sunshine mix #4 and adding perlite then adding my nutrients to my water, and then ph adjusting the water.

this summer i have simply used fox farm ocean forest for my ladies outside. one time there was a bit of a calcium deficiency, so at one feeding i added cal-mag. outside of that i have added only a compost tea made from compost that has been composting for about 3-4 months. that compost consist of mostly chicken manure, ground up egg shells, food scraps (fruits and veggies), leaves from the yard. basically, anything from my home that can be safely composted. i am trying to keep it as organic as possible and im sure i've screwed up somewhere along the lines but its my first organic grow and my ladies look great outdoor, so far...

i also wanted to try making my own strains. last summer, i took pollen from a male dairy queen plant and crossed it with 2 different strains, as well as, a female dairy queen. i also took pollen from a male thc bomb plant and crossed it with 3 different strains.
the crosses i made are:
blackberry kush x dairy queen- i plant to call this blackberry sundae"
blackberry kush x thc bomb - i plan to call this "blackberry punch"
agent orange x dairy queen - no name....
agent orange x thc bomb - no name....

i am very nervous because this year, i am going to be killing off my blackberry kush strain, which is my all time favorite and have been running clones from since i started growing. my experience with crossbreeding strains is non-existent, outside of the seeds i created. i realize that i potentially have a long road ahead of me dealing with these strains.
the biggest issue i am worried about is with the dairy queen and agent orange. i bought the seeds for the DQ and AO from subcool himself, at hempfest in 2013 and have been running them since as well. there seeds tend to have MULTIPLE different phenotypes. i planted 5 AO and 5 DQ when i started them. i had 2 males in my DQ both which looked NOTHING alike and 3 female DQ who were all nothing alike in appearance and smoke (so i kept my favorite pheno and killed off the cuttings i had of the other phenos. it was the same story with the agent orange except all 5 happened to be female. there was some similarities and their smoke was a little more consistent as far affects and bud appearance goes.

because i am a stickler about sticking within my legal limits, as a patient here in washington, i am only currently working on my blackberry sundae strain for the first time. i planted 10 seeds about 2.5-3 weeks ago. i have 4 outside that are blackberry kush, agent orange(2), and dairy queen.

i have never created or made a grow log, and figured that this might be good community to join to discuss what i have going on. (my old partner was anti grow logs...)

so now, to my question after my long rant.... i assume that in order to progress my strains to a more consistent plant as far as height, flower period, appearance, and affects, i need to do some selective breeding. does anyone have any tips, suggestions, comments, or concerns.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Welcome!

When it comes to selective breeding, it's completely up to your goals. The way I do it is I look for the most stability in terms of growth rate, uniformity of growth, vigor and general size. There's a lot of other variables involved but those are my major ones. I choose a male that most closely resembles what I'm after as you're looking to solidify those dominant genes and prevent any kind of weird mutated recessive genes from being procreated. This is where things get tricky as when you're selectively breeding you may introduce a series of "retarded" genes and really deviate from what your goal initially was. I'm no pro though, so take what I've said with a grain of salt. It's something I do for a hobby and personal satisfaction of having made a line no one else on the planet has.

One Love,
tobh

the chronic1

the chronic1

thanks guys. i will take some pictures of my ladies in the next couple of days so you can see the girls and the 10 seedlings of the blackberry sundae strain. also, i will create a page in the proper forum for my grow log :)

Top Bottom