Hello Friends , New Grower Here , Have A Few Questions

• Thread starter morugawelder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
morugawelder

morugawelder

Hello my friends , I'm new here and glad to be part of your community ! Lots of knowledge going on . I would like to know , whats the best light to go with for a 4 x 4 tent ?

Nugg

Nugg

There's a lot of to consider...but has to be gig enough to cover your area or two lights...I would say 2 lights nothing smaller than 600 w..but that's me..

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
There is no such thing. There are budgets, there are climates, there are height limitations, there are availabilities, there are safety issues, there are yield expectations and there are many more question but no one can say this light is the best for a 4x4.

All grow lights will grow plants, you need to specify your expectations and the environmental factors. Without knowing, leds are the new technology and they will only get better with time. Cobs or Quantum Boards or Strip fixtures like Spydr from Fluence. They all are great. Diy is another option and a very viable one when it comes to leds.

Last edited:
morugawelder

morugawelder

I have a 4 x4 x80 " only growing one for now , gonna be to hot inside to keep the ambient temps down . Not looking for a boat load , growing a sweet inzanity by ethos , I had 2 marshydros 960 reflectors in my 2 x4 x 60 , did pretty good , a few leds went out , I used them in a 4 x8 x 80 growing super hot peppers the last 4 yrs. but lost 4 or so leds in each , looking for something a little more durable and doesn't run so hot . but looking for nice nugs ,

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Are you gonna cover 4x4? Like a scrog deal or something? I’m just trying to understand why you’re trying to buy new lights. Couple of diodes is no biggie imo.

If you want look at qbs. They’re being sold on amazon even. Also they have a site. Search horticultural lighting group. There are sets you can put together. If you can get them, get them. They’re the easiest and people speak very highly of those.

I use cobs but it takes a little too much elbow grease and the results with qbs should be better.

Besides that, if you want to go with blurples, i’d look into higher quality units. I’ve never used them but california light works or similar brands seem legit. I’d look into unbiased reviews on those.

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome, your question will open a source of great debate as far as which light or technology is the best. Maybe as previously suggested you base your requirements on:available budget, expectations, and your growing experience. As most know, the best, light, & nutrients when wielded without experience will produce at best, the same as a poor light, and ok nutrients in more experienced hands...imho

New school

New school

Diy would be a good option. Relocate drivers outside of your tent to keep things cooler. Cobs qbs or strips are your choices. I prefer cobs I find they have better penetration. Lol

morugawelder

morugawelder

Are you gonna cover 4x4? Like a scrog deal or something? I’m just trying to understand why you’re trying to buy new lights. Couple of diodes is no biggie imo.

If you want look at qbs. They’re being sold on amazon even. Also they have a site. Search horticultural lighting group. There are sets you can put together. If you can get them, get them. They’re the easiest and people speak very highly of those.

I use cobs but it takes a little too much elbow grease and the results with qbs should be better.

Besides that, if you want to go with blurples, i’d look into higher quality units. I’ve never used them but california light works or similar brands seem legit. I’d look into unbiased reviews on those.

morugawelder

morugawelder

my oldest son said they my start a fire , so I got kind of nervous about using them with some of the led's out . Probably use all of 4x4 2 plants at most . not looking for a huge yield ( personal use only ) . my son had a friend build a 4 Cobb light , it throws out a lot of heat

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
my oldest son said they my start a fire , so I got kind of nervous about using them with some of the led's out . Probably use all of 4x4 2 plants at most . not looking for a huge yield ( personal use only ) . my son had a friend build a 4 Cobb light , it throws out a lot of heat

I’ve never had such concern. Why would 2 burned out diodes start a fire? I’m really wondering.

If the fixture your sons friend build throws out a lot of heat, he is probably running them a little too hard. Cobs throw heat by the way. They get hot. But driving them softer keeps them cooler and more efficient.

Anycase, then you can go with quantum boards. Have you looked at the horticulture lighting groups site? If not, do.

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

Hello my friends , I'm new here and glad to be part of your community ! Lots of knowledge going on . I would like to know , whats the best light to go with for a 4 x 4 tent ?
If you are on a budget, You could do what I did. Go with 2 Mars Hydro 600's. They are fairly cheap, but have worked good for me for over a year now. These are good for plug and play. Nothing to build, just hang and turn on. This is a good option if this is your first grow in a tent. If you have the experience, you might look into the above mentioned options.

Dan789

Dan789

On cobs, if the amperage/current is too high, the light does provide more output, but also more heat. Driving mine at 50 watts each for twelve cobs and my 4x4 tent stays below 82’, but does depend on ambient temps, the heat sinks are warm, though not hot to the touch and that’s fine with me and my plants are happy.

New school

New school

On cobs, if the amperage/current is too high, the light does provide more output, but also more heat. Driving mine at 50 watts each for twelve cobs and my 4x4 tent stays below 82’, but does depend on ambient temps, the heat sinks are warm, though not hot to the touch and that’s fine with me and my plants are happy.
Are your drivers inside or outside of your grow area?

Dan789

Dan789

Are your drivers inside or outside of your grow area?
Inside, on framing.
P1040001 edited 1

Dan789

Dan789

Agree, am scavenging heat via exhaust of all tents to heat grow room, which is otherwise un-heated garage partition. Growing only during fall and winter to avoid A/C use/dependence, utilizing staggered light cycles: veg tent lights daytime eight tube HO T5 approx 500:watts, bloom tent lights 800 watts during the night. Exhausting constantly 24/7.

New school

New school

Agree, am scavenging heat via exhaust of all tents to heat grow room, which is otherwise un-heated garage partition. Growing only during fall and winter to avoid A/C use/dependence, utilizing staggered light cycles: veg tent lights daytime eight tube HO T5 approx 500:watts, bloom tent lights 800 watts during the night. Exhausting constantly 24/7.

I'm running my light cycle stagger also to keep temps regulated. But I've relocated my drivers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom