Hello From San Diego

• Thread starter VeganSDjoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VeganSDjoe

Well I'm new to this, and i'll be growing my own medical marijuana from now on. Built my 8x13 grow room these last 2 weekends. The build of the room is completed, just got to setup the lights, hydroponics, fans, intake, and carbon filter exhaust. I've decided to go with 2 600watt HID lights over LED even though I do have 1 LED light right now. HID lights will be in tomorrow. I've decided to not use the Co2 right now until I get a handle on it all. I'll get some pictures uploaded tonight.

GrowzNCali

GrowzNCali

Welcome man! Love SD even though I'm from NorCal. Enjoy your time here.

bongstar

bongstar

Hope your grow is going well. Im in san diego also if you have any issues or questions feel free to hit me up. I am a master grower and can help with any questions or problems , if you have any let me know.

Enjoy the grow.

stp

stp

@bongstar Hey, I am new to the forums, live in SD all my life. Was hoping to find Promix HP somewhere close, you don't happen to know any sources for this do you?
Any particular issues I am going to have to deal with here in SD for an indoor tent grow? 4x4, using Timber lights (5) individual "Daisies" they are called. about 500 watts.
Will I be fine with an exhaust inline fan and just regular fans inside for up on the hill above Mission Valley near USD. Saying if I run those lights with a fan on them they will run about 90 degrees F. Wondering if I am going to have to deal with de-humidifiers, intake fans, or will it be fine without all that?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Well I'm new to this, and i'll be growing my own medical marijuana from now on. Built my 8x13 grow room these last 2 weekends. The build of the room is completed, just got to setup the lights, hydroponics, fans, intake, and carbon filter exhaust. I've decided to go with 2 600watt HID lights over LED even though I do have 1 LED light right now. HID lights will be in tomorrow. I've decided to not use the Co2 right now until I get a handle on it all. I'll get some pictures uploaded tonight.
Welcome to the Farm, I no longer live in SD but did some time back. Make sure you have a way to control your temperatures and keep fresh air coming into the space. That will ensure your plants will be strong and healthy. I would love to see pics of your set up.

@bongstar Hey, I am new to the forums, live in SD all my life. Was hoping to find Promix HP somewhere close, you don't happen to know any sources for this do you?
Any particular issues I am going to have to deal with here in SD for an indoor tent grow? 4x4, using Timber lights (5) individual "Daisies" they are called. about 500 watts.
Will I be fine with an exhaust inline fan and just regular fans inside for up on the hill above Mission Valley near USD. Saying if I run those lights with a fan on them they will run about 90 degrees F. Wondering if I am going to have to deal with de-humidifiers, intake fans, or will it be fine without all that?
Since you are in Mission Valley head over to Mighty Hydro, right of I-8. They should have anything you are looking for; I gave them lots of business when I lived there. I also went to San Diego Hydro Beach Cities location a bit too.

As long as your exhaust fan is big enough for your space, I would go with a 6" fan, you should be alright. But if you are already at temperatures of 90 degrees you are too hot. How do you have fresh air coming into the tent? A couple small clip fans in there is sufficient for keeping air flowing around the tent. You shouldn't need a dehumidifier for a 4x4 tent, maybe in Feb and Mar, but I would have it outside of the tent if you need. A small humidifier may be needed, but again keep it outside of the tent. I prefer evaporative humidifier over a misting humidifier.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Welcome to the farm
Mate! Looking forward to your adventure with us!

Reactions: stp
stp

stp

Welcome to the Farm, I no longer live in SD but did some time back. Make sure you have a way to control your temperatures and keep fresh air coming into the space. That will ensure your plants will be strong and healthy. I would love to see pics of your set up.

Since you are in Mission Valley head over to Mighty Hydro, right of I-8. They should have anything you are looking for; I gave them lots of business when I lived there. I also went to San Diego Hydro Beach Cities location a bit too.

As long as your exhaust fan is big enough for your space, I would go with a 6" fan, you should be alright. But if you are already at temperatures of 90 degrees you are too hot. How do you have fresh air coming into the tent? A couple small clip fans in there is sufficient for keeping air flowing around the tent. You shouldn't need a dehumidifier for a 4x4 tent, maybe in Feb and Mar, but I would have it outside of the tent if you need. A small humidifier may be needed, but again keep it outside of the tent. I prefer evaporative humidifier over a misting humidifier.
Nothing is set up yet, so the temp is from the MFG telling me his laser, on units just like mine, inside a tent, inside his hot Poway warehouse show temps of 90 with a fan on them, not sure he did that with exhaust fan but I will set up and test everything before to get a clear picture of my limits before adding sweaty plants. Don't know what to expect after that. Is there a baseline RH increase minimum I can expect? How about this question, how should I game plan my grow for this. I've initially assumed doing 2 or 3 in 5 gallon Smart pots. But if I go that route, what method should I be doing? Outdoors I just used to pinch tops and get the plant bushy....this is all new to me now. Also concerned with exhaust and noise and where I can actually vent it. The window in the room is right where neighbors park, not ideal or really my last option. I live alone, and wondering what happens if I run the hose to the house and open front windows for fresh air into the house? Will my place be super hot and gross doing that?

stp

stp

Nothing is set up yet, so the temp is from the MFG telling me his laser, on units just like mine, inside a tent, inside his hot Poway warehouse show temps of 90 with a fan on them, not sure he did that with exhaust fan but I will set up and test everything before to get a clear picture of my limits before adding sweaty plants. Don't know what to expect after that. Is there a baseline RH increase minimum I can expect? How about this question, how should I game plan my grow for this. I've initially assumed doing 2 or 3 in 5 gallon Smart pots. But if I go that route, what method should I be doing? Outdoors I just used to pinch tops and get the plant bushy....this is all new to me now. Also concerned with exhaust and noise and where I can actually vent it. The window in the room is right where neighbors park, not ideal or really my last option. I live alone, and wondering what happens if I run the hose to the house and open front windows for fresh air into the house? Will my place be super hot and gross doing that?
I could be mistaken and he didn't have a fan on them...it does not matter at this point, I will follow up when it's up and testing.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I am not really sure what you said in that first sentence, but ultimately 90 degrees is too high, plain and simple. If you are doing CO2 addition you can get away with higher temps but if you are simply going to pull old air out and bring fresh air into your space your temps should be much closer to 80 degrees. Your lights won’t create exorbitant amounts of heat, but you do want to make sure you can pull whatever heat they are making out of the tent. Since you are in a tent you can simply vent the air into whatever room the tent is in, it doesn’t have to go out your window. Keeping a window open a bit is a good idea as it will allow fresh air to come intimate the room and ultimately into the tent. Circulation within the tent is important too, you want to make sure the air around the leaves is constantly changing. Believe me when I tell you your environment is the key to growing strong healthy plants.

As for humidity there is no baseline for when you add plants. It will change constantly as your plants grow. In veg you want to be between 60% and 70%, in flower you want to be right around 55%, a bit above or below is fine. Try not to let the humidity to get below 40%, it will slow your plants growth.

In a 4x4 tent you can have at least 4 plants, if not 5, in there in 5 gallon pots. Four may be a better choice as it will allow good airflow around each plant. You can top them the same way you do for outdoor plants and you will end up with bushier plants. You can also do low stress training (LST) and bend the branches rather than clip them to control height. Also remembers to start your flowering at half the height you ultimately want the plant to be (ie: if you want the final height of the plant to be 4 feet flower it when it is 2 feet tall).

stp

stp

I am not really sure what you said in that first sentence, but ultimately 90 degrees is too high, plain and simple. If you are doing CO2 addition you can get away with higher temps but if you are simply going to pull old air out and bring fresh air into your space your temps should be much closer to 80 degrees. Your lights won’t create exorbitant amounts of heat, but you do want to make sure you can pull whatever heat they are making out of the tent. Since you are in a tent you can simply vent the air into whatever room the tent is in, it doesn’t have to go out your window. Keeping a window open a bit is a good idea as it will allow fresh air to come intimate the room and ultimately into the tent. Circulation within the tent is important too, you want to make sure the air around the leaves is constantly changing. Believe me when I tell you your environment is the key to growing strong healthy plants.

As for humidity there is no baseline for when you add plants. It will change constantly as your plants grow. In veg you want to be between 60% and 70%, in flower you want to be right around 55%, a bit above or below is fine. Try not to let the humidity to get below 40%, it will slow your plants growth.

In a 4x4 tent you can have at least 4 plants, if not 5, in there in 5 gallon pots. Four may be a better choice as it will allow good airflow around each plant. You can top them the same way you do for outdoor plants and you will end up with bushier plants. You can also do low stress training (LST) and bend the branches rather than clip them to control height. Also remembers to start your flowering at half the height you ultimately want the plant to be (ie: if you want the final height of the plant to be 4 feet flower it when it is 2 feet tall).
Yeah, that first sentence is me trying to tell you what the Timber guy told me. Their testing and results in their hot warehouse environment.... but it doesn't matter, I will find out soon enough.
I read up on style of grow last night, I am really considering mainline trunk idea but I am not sold yet. With a 78" tall tent, my quick estimate has me losing +/-24" for lights/distance from plant/ filter so that cuts grow height space to 4'-7". I bought 5 gal Smart pots, but unsure about how much these need to be elevated for drainage...I can't believe Smart pots are supposed to just sit on something flat without air movement under and around them. So if I have less than 4' of height, I would assume I should grow veg till 1.8 feet tall to finish with something closer to 4' in height. Thank you for your info.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Yeah, that first sentence is me trying to tell you what the Timber guy told me. Their testing and results in their hot warehouse environment.... but it doesn't matter, I will find out soon enough.
I read up on style of grow last night, I am really considering mainline trunk idea but I am not sold yet. With a 78" tall tent, my quick estimate has me losing +/-24" for lights/distance from plant/ filter so that cuts grow height space to 4'-7". I bought 5 gal Smart pots, but unsure about how much these need to be elevated for drainage...I can't believe Smart pots are supposed to just sit on something flat without air movement under and around them. So if I have less than 4' of height, I would assume I should grow veg till 1.8 feet tall to finish with something closer to 4' in height. Thank you for your info.

You should be able to run those lights 18" above your canopy with no ill effect; its not much but it gives you 6" back. Ultimately you should be aiming for a final canopy that is 3'-4' high. That does imply you would want to put your plants into flower at 20''-24" tall. As far as elevating your pots I do not elevate mine, but any excess runoff in my saucers gets dumped almost immediately. If you want you could just put your plants on an elevator to keep their bottom off the saucer, or put a 1"-2" layer of stone, perlite or clay pebbles at the bottom of the pots.

Personally I would recommend starting with some simple low stress training (LST)over mainlining. In my opinion it will keep your plants growing a bit quicker and with less stress on the plant. Ultimately it will achieve the same goals as mainlining but you won't need to cut anything.

stp

stp

You should be able to run those lights 18" above your canopy with no ill effect; its not much but it gives you 6" back. Ultimately you should be aiming for a final canopy that is 3'-4' high. That does imply you would want to put your plants into flower at 20''-24" tall. As far as elevating your pots I do not elevate mine, but any excess runoff in my saucers gets dumped almost immediately. If you want you could just put your plants on an elevator to keep their bottom off the saucer, or put a 1"-2" layer of stone, perlite or clay pebbles at the bottom of the pots.

Personally I would recommend starting with some simple low stress training (LST)over mainlining. In my opinion it will keep your plants growing a bit quicker and with less stress on the plant. Ultimately it will achieve the same goals as mainlining but you won't need to cut anything.
Fantastic reply! I believe I will do exactly what you suggest. I did find these round grates and they stand 1.5 inches high, they are going into clear saucers. Three plants total, if I do low stress would I not be doing any topping of these to get them to bush out? 4x4 tent with optimal lighting footprint just under that, also wanting room for me or stuff around the floor. Someday I may stuff it, but I want to fairly basic the first time. I am leaning towards what I can get at the local hydro shop, that means instead of the promix HP I wanted, they only have Roots Organics potting medium. I’ll look, but I thought I heard someone bashing them pretty good (soil, not their nutes), I don’t have a lot of gardening space, so making my own soil is out, and nobody carries Promix in San Diego. Was going to go General Organics but have been told I should try Roots Organics nutes. I also have access to homemade worm tea, I heard I can incorporate that into the schedule without any adverse ph changes between feedings?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I like the whole Roots organics line, I used to run it when I lived in SD. I do like the soil, it is a coco based soil so it does drain fairly quickly and if you are using RO or distilled water you will absolutely need to add some calcium to your nutrients. But there is a lot of good stuff in that soil blend and it does allow for growing great plants. Personally these days I am using Happy Frog from Fox Farms and am really liking it. There is enough nutrition in there for young plants without burning them and allows for use of bottled nutrients without over doing it. Either of these soil options are good ones. I am not sure if you went into Mighty Hydro, but they may have other suggestions for you as to which soil they like, its always nice to have another opinion. As for the nutrient line, if you want to go organic Roots is a great option, I am currently running the Bio Bizz line, but I still use the HP2 and HPK from the Roots line. Of course you can use the worm tea, a once a week application would definitely have a positive effect on your plants. You could also incorporate some insect frass into your routine with a top dressing every 3 weeks. It will kick your plants immune response on and help them fend off pests if they do try and show up in your garden.

There is nothing wrong with only growing 3 plants, but I would say don't plant on anything other than plants to be on the floor of your tent. I try to keep any equipment elevated or outside of the tent to allow for maximum floor and canopy space. Plus if you put a fan or humidifier directly in the tent the plant(s) closest to the unit will get the brunt of either air or moisture you are trying to get into the whole tent.

With low stress training you will forgo any clipping of the main growth of the plant, it is just bending the branches over and tying them into place. You will not inhibit the growth rate of your plants and you will still be able to make the whole canopy more even. Mainlining combines LST and topping, and typically comes out best with plants from seed rather than clone (I am not sure which you are starting with). I started with LST when I first was learning to grow and I am happy I started with that technique as I was impatient and wanted results quickly and topping delays the whole plants process a week or so (at least in my opinion). It also kept me from over stressing my plants before I knew what I was doing. Once you get the hang of growing I would suggest trying all methods of training, they are all unique but aim at getting you to the same place.

Here is a link to my diary thread, not everything goes right, even for someone with experience: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/the-new-project.100894/. It may help you get an idea of training and other issues to note along the way. I hope all this info is still helpful.

Top Bottom