Hello From The Emerald Triangle...

• Thread starter CannaCurious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CannaCurious

Hello Farmers & Friends,

I go by CannaCurious here, as I have always been kind of curious about Cannabis. I have been on the forums since I was 12 way back in overgrow days. Stopped posting and really being part of the online community around 2010 and just would check what was going on, but living in this region is like having all the members of the forum as your neighbors, as many of you are my neighbors. Have come a long way since my dads basement and still feel like I know nothing. Have been living in the Triangle for about a decade now and went and hid under the curtain... Have had a membership here under my first online handle, but trying to reinvent myself and start sharing more that laws have been changing and permits are in.

I became very politically active a couple of years ago when a few groups of people gathered and started talking about changing the 215 laws and the looming idea of Rec. Now I try to be at every meeting and every policy event, as activism has paved the path for hopefully a nice foundation to be poured and built upon, but never have I had to jump so many hurdles than to endeavor into taking on investment and jumping through the bureaucratic hoops...

Its been nothing but a bumpy road since lifting the veil, but I think the hard work and stress will be well worth it. I hope to say it how it is. I am attempting to become a critic and a product reviewer, as I have been doing so for my own business since I could remember. Nose is messed up most days from selling and smelling packs. Trying to teach consumers what is truly a good product, as we set a new bar for what schwag weed vs connoisseur. The days of being able to mix some bottled nutes and read a ph meter and call yourself a master grower are over.

I would like to admit my novice skills, yet I am always sold out and have a back order. Always experimenting and willing to learn... I just wish good help was easier to find, as anyone who is good seems to go on their own as quick as they can and I don't blame them. Looking to build community and team, as the day of going solo and having all the glory will be soon ended for most, its about the team and the conglomerates now, yet we can't lose touch with our roots and by banding together keep the culture alive and exposing those who are in this market only for the money and don't consume their own product. We all seek comfort, but I was the kid that could survive on a little grow and feed his family, those days are soon gone. I would like to shine a light on the people that have been in it for the right reasons, and I hope that we all vote with our dollars to keep those type of people and brands at the front, or to revamp the black market to kill out the new Wal-Marts of the Cannabis Industry. Thank you CA for at least making it semi reasonable to enter the market, compared to most other states. (Sorry for the rant lol)

Dan789

Dan789

Welcome back @CannaCurious, glad to see that there's a realization that unless we start and continue to flex our power together by voting that this situation can deteriorate almost instantly. In my area I've attended many of the public meetings and was amazed at the negative input interjected by some of the vocal portion of law enforcement. This was prior to the vote on Rec MJ, which subsequently muffled that resistance. What I also came away with is that unless we get motivated and start making more voices heard the faction wanting to clamp a lid (pun not intended) on MJ as a whole are still there and haven't gone away.

C

CannaCurious

Thank you guys! @Dan789 I feel you there, but think that it is not the police to worry so much about anymore, but big business that is what dictates to the police who needs to be dealt with. I have been at a lot of national meetings and in my consulting have been in meetings with several billionaires and their approach is not as community orientated as some of us may be.

I see that sadly most in this business get by on dumb luck and there is some serious competition coming which is good, but at the same time when people have the money to buy elections and rearrange the language of policies to fit their needs, and you are hiding in the hills/suburbia just trying to feed your family and do something we all love. You are just a fleck of dander upon a 10k suit, that needs only a swipe of a lint roller to remove you from business.

I am not too worried as I think I have a pretty good concrete position, even if 0ur brands don't make it to the top. I just worry for my community that as the black market dies and people here are already getting less and less, that when the 500 dollar lb. comes people who were making good 6 figure incomes will be at poverty level, as unless your are a top tier manager its, 13-25 a hr...

I have a friend that has 9 acres (most people I know are doing 22.5k sq ft- 4 acres) in permits they are selling their deps for 600-1100 as of now, before half the people have their operations running. They crop 2400-3700 lbs a week and that is just one place. First question is where do you think all of it will go, second, what would happen to you if you had to sell your crop at that cost with your sq footage? Most because of their lack of business acumen, this, or next year will be the end of days for many.

Lets just see where this goes. Its only the birth of something big, but with most things that are big, the little guy is easily pushed out if he doesn't stand his ground....

Dan789

Dan789

Don't misinterpret my comment to mean I'm only concerned with the resistant elements within the existing vested interests here (police, courts, prisons & guards etc.). I'm just saying that there's plenty of resistance to anything MJ all around. And granted the police aren't against stoking those knee jerk reaction thoughts among the general populace.
It's a wholy different story when you get to the commercial ops, which seems squarely where your at. Costs will certainly be affected and not in a good way as most of legal MJ on the street will have plenty of taxes added. Keeping it near current levels, the delta is where all the middlemen and taxes make up that difference.
We hear from different areas where home grown small growers being outlawed, that will if we unwittingly allow to occur is a big problem. That's where our vigilance and votes will come in handy.
I mean after all it was illegal all over not too long ago.

Top Bottom