Help a Noob: Are these females?

• Thread starter supaaq
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
supaaq

supaaq

This is my first year growing. Some friends gave me these three as babies. I've been growing them outdoor, in 3 gallon pots on my deck, next to my tomatoes and cucumbers. They look healthy and have been given a lot of love. My cat gets to them occasionally and chews on some of the lower leaves, but over all they seem to be growing very happily. I'm in the Northeast and this all newly legal for us here. From what I've read and researched, we should be just getting into the beginnings of flowering now. They look female to me, but I wanted to get some expert opinions. Thanks in advance for the help and for being such a great community.

1 middle
2 right
Help a noob are these females

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Agree with gnick but on those last two pics I also do not see male parts. Just don’t see female pistils yet either.
ok than i’m wrong, wait to you/we know for sure!! the pics are not the clearest when zooming up on number 2 and 3
maybe post pictures from above looking at the tops.
thanks @freezeland2 almost made a boo boo!

supaaq

supaaq

Thanks so far for the great advice. As per the request, here are some top shots of the 2 that are questionable. I think I see some flowering starting to happen on both of them.

IMG 0845
IMG 0846
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Look at the connection of the leaf to the branch. There is a pointy green growth, about 1/4 inch long or so. Male or female preflowers will appear in between that and the stem first. The good ones will have two fluffy white hairs.

Mugwort

Mugwort

This is my first year growing. Some friends gave me these three as babies. I've been growing them outdoor, in 3 gallon pots on my deck, next to my tomatoes and cucumbers. They look healthy and have been given a lot of love. My cat gets to them occasionally and chews on some of the lower leaves, but over all they seem to be growing very happily. I'm in the Northeast and this all newly legal for us here. From what I've read and researched, we should be just getting into the beginnings of flowering now. They look female to me, but I wanted to get some expert opinions. Thanks in advance for the help and for being such a great community.

View attachment 1158058View attachment 1158059View attachment 1158057
Top pic appears female...can’t unequivocally say that bottom two pics are male or female. Look for y shaped appendages at growth nodes.

Top Bottom