Help! Broad mites or ph?

• Thread starter Jaykay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jaykay

Jaykay

I picked up a few clones to add to my garden. They came in rockwool cubes and I transplanted them into 1 gallon pots with an organic soil mix.
They have been spreading roots over the past week and are kind of starting to grow externally now but the new growth is strange looking. Its very thin and lime green/yellow but the thing that concerns me the most is the appearance of the set below the tips are deformed with a hint of a sheen and strange ripples/wrinkles. Could this be from broad mites?
These clones were kind of stressed and needed to be babied after transplant. I know they were also intended for a hydro setup with a lower ph. They are now in organic soil and being watered with a 6.4 ph de-chlorinated tap water. So I was also considering the possibility of a PH issue.
Anyone know what's going on?

Help broad mites or ph
Help broad mites or ph 2
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Scope your plants with at least 40x to 60x magnification. Look at the underside of the leaves and stems. You will see tiny little bugs and white little balls (eggs) if you have mites. Doesn't look like it, but better safe than sorry.

To check PH and EC/PPM/TDS levels, you water/feed until there is run off out of the bottom of your pot.....catch that runoff with a pan or something, pour that runoff solution into a glass and measure the PH and EC levels of your run off solution.

That is the information you need to tell whats going on in your medium and what to do to correct any problems.

Last edited:
Jaykay

Jaykay

Scope your plants with at least 40x to 60x magnification. Look at the underside of the leaves and stems. You will see tiny little bugs and white little balls (eggs) if you have mites. Doesn't look like it, but better safe than sorry.

To check PH and EC/PPM/TDS levels, you water/feed until there is run off out of the bottom of your pot.....catch that runoff with a pan or something, pour that runoff solution into a glass and measure the PH and EC levels of your run off solution.

That is the information you need to tell whats going on in your medium and what to do to correct any problems.
I've scoped the plants with a 2 lense magnifying glass(unsure of exact strength). But did not see any eggs/mites but did see some white specks on a couple leaf surfaces that were not moving(could just be random dust particles). Also, the soil is not the problem ph wise. I have seedlings transplanted in the same mix doing fine(now isolated from infected clones.) If it is a PH issue could it be from the change of medium ph? Rockwool at 5.8ish-soil 6.5 ish?
But honestly at this point it seems to be pointing at broad mites with the shiny wrinkled leaves, stunted new growth and the fact that the older growth isn't being as targeted as much.
Should I spray em or just cut? Have some flowering in another room and don't want an infestation.

Jaykay

Jaykay

I think broad mite.
Ya looking like it.. should I spray with insecticide soap or just get rid of em? Had them just over a week. Rooting nicely now though and they are some in house genetics.

Harvard

Harvard

Ya looking like it.. should I spray with insecticide soap or just get rid of em? Had them just over a week. Rooting nicely now though and they are some in house genetics.
You could spray or dunk. Repeat every 2-3 days for a week or two. I’ve only dealt with spider mites. Good chance they have spread to other room so keep an eye.

Jaykay

Jaykay

You could spray or dunk. Repeat every 2-3 days for a week or two. I’ve only dealt with spider mites. Good chance they have spread to other room so keep an eye.
Might not be worth the risk keeping them then. What do you dunk in? Insecticide soap?

Harvard

Harvard

Might not be worth the risk keeping them then. What do you dunk in? Insecticide soap?
I use captain jacks concentrate insecticide, comes with mixing directions. People on here rave about pure crop 1 I think it is. If not that important I’d throw them in fire pit and burn them.

Jaykay

Jaykay

Ok thanks for the input. Might have to just toss em. Though they are some fire genetics from In-house and possibly the best strains I possess at the moment.. hmm

Harvard

Harvard

Ok thanks for the input. Might have to just toss em. Though they are some fire genetics from In-house and possibly the best strains I possess at the moment.. hmm
Clean them up then, I always shut down the flower room as I refuse to spray anything on my flowering plants. Good luck

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
just make sure you know what the issue is before addressing it!
could be mites, could be boron deficiency with low humidity. etc..

IhatePM

IhatePM

What kind of dunk? Would spraying them with insecticide work?
Spraying works too but to be sure on complete coverage i would dunk the entire plant. Unfortunately in my experience all the soft stuff like soap and azamax do nothing to mites. Not a fan of avid so I suggest forbid 4f dunk . Just don't start flowering for at least 40 days. Also do some research on the chemicals im talking about as well.

Jaykay

Jaykay

just make sure you know what the issue is before addressing it!
could be mites, could be boron deficiency with low humidity. etc..
Been trying to figure it out the past few days before taking action. I have been battling with low humidy(around 30-35 rh but have seen it dip to 20). I guess a stronger magnifying glass would make sense forat for visual confirmation.

Jaykay

Jaykay

Clean them up then, I always shut down the flower room as I refuse to spray anything on my flowering plants. Good luck
I'll have to keep the flower room going. It's on another level in another room and in a tent. So hopefully it'll be isolated enough. It's only on 7 6-8 inch clones so it seems like spread can be managed at this point.

Jaykay

Jaykay

Spraying works too but to be sure on complete coverage i would dunk the entire plant. Unfortunately in my experience all the soft stuff like soap and azamax do nothing to mites. Not a fan of avid so I suggest forbid 4f dunk . Just don't start flowering for at least 40 days. Also do some research on the chemicals im talking about as well.
I'll have to see what I can get locally. Can't afford to wait for shipping and risk a spread. Unfortunately these were scheduled to go into flower in less than 3 weeks. So it may not be worth it to keep them and risk my other plants that are currently starting to flower

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I'll have to see what I can get locally. Can't afford to wait for shipping and risk a spread. Unfortunately these were scheduled to go into flower in less than 3 weeks. So it may not be worth it to keep them and risk my other plants that are currently starting to flower
you can take clones from flowering plants, thats what i mostly do, usually between 2-3 weeks into flower..
it’s called monster cropping.. to me much better, cheaper and faster, than topping fimming etc..
anyho.. decisions!

Jaykay

Jaykay

you can take clones from flowering plants, thats what i mostly do, usually between 2-3 weeks into flower..
it’s called monster cropping.. to me much better, cheaper and faster, than topping fimming etc..
anyho.. decisions!
Yep I like taking clones after the 12/12 stretch as well. I picked these clones up from someone else though. So they have not had contact with anything in the flower room. I worry about a few autoflowers they were sharing a room with though.. just need some visual confirmation before I do anything though. Need a stronger magnifying glass I guess

Latest posts

Top Bottom