Help!! Brown spots on leaves

• Thread starter Deepspace
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Deepspace

I'm new to growing, and have recently come across these brown spots on my plants.... Anyone know what I'm dealing with and any possible fixes?

Help brown spots on leaves
Help brown spots on leaves 2
Help brown spots on leaves 3
Help brown spots on leaves 4
az2000

az2000

What soil is that? What are you feeding? How old are they?

They look very hungry to me.

D

Deepspace

What soil is that? What are you feeding? How old are they?

They look very hungry to me.
I'm using promix organic vegetable/herb potting soil. They are about 3 months old, and I've just been watering them. I have not fed them anything. Any suggestions of what to feed?

ChikiPox

ChikiPox

What about giving real information?

What's in your medium,PH, nuts?

Looks like a deficiency by lack of nutrients. N - Mg.
When you grow in coco, peat moss you need to add more nutrients for Ca/Mg.

You can mix some worm castings with dolomite lime, half cup of each with new prepared medium adding a layer over the actual medium.
You want to fix this quick or you'll see really bad results in bloom.

Hydroponic nuts works is the line to go in this case for fast absorption. check general hydroponics calimagic and check the instructions before. Always check your PH levels.

ChikiPox

ChikiPox

I'm using promix organic vegetable/herb potting soil. They are about 3 months old, and I've just been watering them. I have not fed them anything. Any suggestions of what to feed?

Yeah, check your NPK intake. PROMIX + SOIL should be fine the first weeks. But you need nutrients en general. Prevention is the key. Start with small amounts. Dry nuts will release slow for the problem.

az2000

az2000

That soil claims to have 3-months worth of food. I typically stay away from soils with nutrients built into them.But, that one seems to work well. It's just people forget to start feeding after 2-3 month. A false sense of security. Other than that, it seems to work well. Your plant grew well. I've seen other threads that are similar (grows well, then kaput in 2-3 months. The grower didn't realize they were at the end of the soil's capacity.).

What to feed? That can be a topic like which church to join. Lots of choices. Many have the potential for passion (like the old Chesterfield cigarette commercial: "I'd rather fight than switch."). If you want to keep it simple, just run down to the hardware store and buy MiracleGro Tomato (18-18-21). It's cheap, simple. I've grown a plant through flower with it. 5/8tsp/gal is the proper/safe amount. I've fed as much as 1.2tsp/gal without burn (but looked overfed, N toxicity).

I use Grow More - Sea Grow all purpose (16-16-16). I like it because it has more organic sources of nutrients. But, you won't find it locally. Your plant needs something now.

Many people use Jack's Classic (20-20-20). Again, you probably won't find that locally.

Anything with balanced numbers like that (a 1-1-1 ratio) will be fine. The cannabis-themed, multi-bottle "lineups" fine tune the NPK ratio by varying how the different bottles are mixed together. They work fine. But, expensive and doesn't do that much better (than just 1-1-1 ratio.).

If you wanted to order something better than "Tomato," you could buy Pennington Alaska Fish Emulsion. That's 5-1-1. That hit of nitrogen would be good right now, and carry you until you can feed something more balanced. You'd use that fish emulsion occasionally (future grows). It's good for the soil microbes. I vary my NPK ratio doing that. I'll boost N a little by adding fish emulsion to my Sea Grow in veg.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I would feed some synthetic nutrients to get them some food faster. To me it looks like overall low nutrients. Seeing nitrogen, calcium, magnesium deficiencies. You likely just need to feed em.

Ph is important but the soil should buffer the feed water adequately providing the ph is not way out of range. Tap water and nutes should be fine.

D

Deepspace

That soil claims to have 3-months worth of food. I typically stay away from soils with nutrients built into them.But, that one seems to work well. It's just people forget to start feeding after 2-3 month. A false sense of security. Other than that, it seems to work well. Your plant grew well. I've seen other threads that are similar (grows well, then kaput in 2-3 months. The grower didn't realize they were at the end of the soil's capacity.).

What to feed? That can be a topic like which church to join. Lots of choices. Many have the potential for passion (like the old Chesterfield cigarette commercial: "I'd rather fight than switch."). If you want to keep it simple, just run down to the hardware store and buy MiracleGro Tomato (18-18-21). It's cheap, simple. I've grown a plant through flower with it. 5/8tsp/gal is the proper/safe amount. I've fed as much as 1.2tsp/gal without burn (but looked overfed, N toxicity).

I use Grow More - Sea Grow all purpose (16-16-16). I like it because it has more organic sources of nutrients. But, you won't find it locally. Your plant needs something now.

Many people use Jack's Classic (20-20-20). Again, you probably won't find that locally.

Anything with balanced numbers like that (a 1-1-1 ratio) will be fine. The cannabis-themed, multi-bottle "lineups" fine tune the NPK ratio by varying how the different bottles are mixed together. They work fine. But, expensive and doesn't do that much better (than just 1-1-1 ratio.).

If you wanted to order something better than "Tomato," you could buy Pennington Alaska Fish Emulsion. That's 5-1-1. That hit of nitrogen would be good right now, and carry you until you can feed something more balanced. You'd use that fish emulsion occasionally (future grows). It's good for the soil microbes. I vary my NPK ratio doing that. I'll boost N a little by adding fish emulsion to my Sea Grow in veg.
Super helpful thank-you so much. I'm off to the hardware store!!

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

As i see they are realy hungry. If i fovus on the spots it looks like mag def.
But the yellow on the leaves looks kike N def. So good luck

az2000

az2000

Super helpful thank-you so much. I'm off to the hardware store!!

If you buy MG Tomato, 5/8tsp/gal will create 210-235ppm. The NPK ratio is 1-1-1.17.

If you buy Alaska Fish Emulsion instead (intending to buy a better all-puporse fertilizer online), you'd use 1 Tbsp/gal for 238ppm.

If you buy both and want to pretend to be a multi-bottle "lineup" user, you could mix 1tsp fish emulsion and 3/8tsp MG tomato. (1.42-1-1.15 NPK ratio, and 242ppm).

But, if this is your first grow, I wouldn't play around that way. You could do that the next time. I would just feed the "Tomato" straight by itself. (Or, use the fish emulsion to carry the plant until a balanced fertilizer arrives in the mail.).

@Beachwalker mentioned using any tomato product. Jacks (JR Peters) makes one. I haven't heard of anyone using it. (I haven't been looking. There could be.). That might be better than "Classic." It's newer than when I saw a lot of people using "Classic." Maybe some of those people use the tomato product now.

One thing that's nice about Jacks is that they have a Citrus Feed, Bloom Booster, Tomato (and the "Classic"). Those could be mixed to get some reasonable NPK ratio (if that were something you wanted to do.).

MiracleGro has All Purpose (which is high N, not balanced the way I think of "all purpose"), and Bloom Booster. Those could be mixed with Tomato to get reasonabe ratios too. But, I'm not in love with Scotts. I only recommend MG Tomato because it's easily available, cheap. That's a good option for new growers who don't want to pick a church to attend. Or, are in a bind the way you are. Beyond that, I'd support a smaller, more grower-friendly company like Grow More or JR Peters. (Scotts is "big agra." It's just easily available. Nothing special.).

I don't think all this ratio business does much. I have a spreadsheet that would let you safely fool around with it (without getting into the boutique "lineups" that do it all for you). If you want to get into that, let me know and I can share it with you. But, I wouldn't waste my time on it now. Just a balanced 1-1-1 ratio will be fine. I vary mine using stuff like fish emulsion, bat guano. Like I said, I think it's more about me fine tuning things. I don't think it helps the plant very much. But, it does help you read the plants (when you know what the ratio is, how the NPK differs from the previous feedings/grows. You don't get that from the themed bottles. But, you can using the spreadsheet. But, at that point you can do it yourself cheaper with generic products.).

I don't think you need a "calmag" product unless there's a problem with your water. It looks like the plant grew ok without it, and just hungry from the soil being exhausted. If there were a need to treat a calcium or magnesium deficiency, you can use gypsum or epsom salt. (But, "calmag" is more convenient.). If you need to get into that, I can explain more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom