Help! bugs? over-watered? im not sure

• Thread starter New2Growing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

New2Growing

Can anyone tell me what's going on with this plant? It is the only one doing this

Help bugs over watered im not sure
Help bugs over watered im not sure 2
Snarglefarf

Snarglefarf

Not enough details for anyone to answer. Need to know lighting, temp/RH, media, what you're feeding it etc. Just by looking at these pics to me it looks like salt buildup from using hydro nutes. You need to post better pics too.

N

New2Growing

Sorry. I'll take better pics when I am around the plants again. I didn't buy or set up anything so I'm not 100% sure on stuff.

Lights are 450w on a timer
temps stay around 77/78 during the day and 73/74 at night.
Humidity stays between 40-45%. There are fans circulating the air.
Fox farms soil,
in cloth bag/pots,
bottled water as needed(about every 3 days or so when soil dries out).
I'm not sure what nutrients were given (of any)before I started trying to save this plant but I haven't given any.

There are 3 other plants in the tent that are growing fine. But this one has had leaves curling up and dead tip since before I took over their care. The plant is still growing but slowly and with curled up leaves.

az2000

az2000

bottled water as needed(about every 3 days or so when soil dries out).
I'm not sure what nutrients were given (of any)before I started trying to save this plant but I haven't given any.

You should water the soil completely, with at least some runoff (10% is typical advice). Sometimes people water around the stalk, and get dry spots in the soil. That can cause deterioration. You want to completely drench, then let it become almost too dry.

Which Fox Farms soil is it? (Whichever, I wouldn't think 3 days is long enough if you're completely watering for runoff. FF soils seem heavy and take longer to dry, from what I see in other threads.).

There are 3 other plants in the tent that are growing fine. But this one has had leaves curling up and dead tip since before I took over their care. The plant is still growing but slowly and with curled up leaves.

Is that plant closest to the light? Or, to a fan?

Dan789

Dan789

So have you checked the underside of the leaves for bugs with a loop? How about any bug activity in the soil? You say you took over these plants, what’s that back story? Seems suspicious that only one is acting this way...

N

New2Growing

These plants and tent setup belong to a friend who had to go out of state for an emergency. I'm trying to get info from her on what she soil type, nutrients etc.

I looked for bugs last night but didn't see anything.

The plant isn't directly in front of a fan but still gets moving air across it.
It is not the closet to the light either.

The local dispensary guy suggested flushing the pot with a lot of water to rinse off salt/nutrients around the roots then wait about a week and give nutrients. He didn't really sound like he knew what he was talking though.

Dan789

Dan789

Would be thinking that if it was heat, the upper leaves would be more affected, that doesn't seem to be the case, that's why I'm suspecting bugs, or some root problem...How about better shots of those folded up leaves. Do you know what you're looking for, as far as mites goes? They're very small, hard to see, you might need to cut off one or more of the affected leaves and examine it somewhere other than on the plant. One of the hand held magnifying scopes, with a steady hand is better...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
usually when you see leaves taco'd up, it is a heat issue, but if not heat, I would say there is a nutrient overdose or nutrient imbalance. The crisping looks more nutrient overage related, which makes sense with Fox Farms stuff, which is pretty hot and some strains don't get along with it. I think it needs flushed a few times, although make sure that the roots aren't drowning.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't see how soil would affect a plant that age? he would have to have fed too much nutes for it to be a nutrient issue at this point imho. OP need clearer pictures and close-ups both sides of the leaves

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Fox Farms soil has a lot of nutrients in it and I have seen it cause a lot of problems with some strains. The damage on the plants looks pretty severe, but if Fox Farms isn't watered regularly, the medium can dry out and cause localized concentrations of nutrient salts, causing burning. Adding any nutrients to it will compound the problem, but I'm not entirely sure it is a nutrient issue. I don't really know what else would cause symptoms like this, but bugs won't cause damage like this. When Ph and nutrients get out of whack, it can cause all kinds of problems. Fixing the Ph can cause a big surplus of nutrients if the nutrients were outside of the correct Ph range. When the Ph is corrected, all of the previous nutrients become available and overload the plant. I think a test of your nutrient levels would help to determine what the problem is, then you can go from there. If the nutrients are more than desired, a flush is useful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom