HELP! Can someone advise me, leaf curling

• Thread starter CrazyHaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CrazyHaze

Hi, i wonder if someone can advise me on a problem i have woken up to today.

So let me start by giving you some info around my grow (my first grow, BTW). To start with, i am running 3 autos and the plan was to run them outdoors. However, weather took a turn after the first month and i had to make the jump indoors. I am growing in smart pots with coco and using biobizz nutrients. Water is tap water but it pretty consistent at 7.1-7.3, i use PH down on every feed to around 5.8.

Making the move indoors has only happened this week. After some research i found that the best way to make the move is to phase it. So day 1 just 3 hours of light, day 2 just 5 hours, day 3 i took up to 8 hours and today will be there first full 12 hour day under the lights. Everything looked to be going well last night and i was ready to set the timer to a full 12/12 schedule this morning until I checked on them and saw this...

Help can someone advise me leaf curling
Help can someone advise me leaf curling 2

As you can see, the upper most leaves on the tallest plant (the shorter ones are absolutely fine and still look healthy) are curling in on themselves and pointing downwards and in the second photo, one of the prongs has gone super straight and flat and is pointing upwards.

Now i think this is light burn and probably the stress of the move and then yesterday i got a bit keen with the light schedule (i had planned 8 hours but ended up going for about 10 hours). However, being a complete noob i dont really know if im right. I increased the distance of the lamp first thing this morning, its now sitting at about 2.5 feet from the top of the tallest plant.

Help! Im worried its a nute deficiency and if so i obviously want to correct it ASAP.

Thank you!

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Iā€™m not sure maybe over watering. Definitely take pictures with natural light if you want good advice. Also most of what Iā€™ve read about autos is that they donā€™t need 12/12. Thatā€™s the point of them, just leave them on 18/6, they know what to do.

C

CrazyHaze

I run a very wet dry cycle on the watering, some weeks they go 4 days without a feed, i tend to wait until the pots are very light again before going for a gallon with run off.

I have read it could be the lack of calmag..... i havent fed them this yet so thats a possibility but again being a noob i dont just wanna start throwing stuff at it because im worried i'll make it worse.

OK, im out now and not home until tonight so i cant send with regular light until this evening. What i can tell you is the colour of them looks fine, no yellowing/browning anywhere on the plants and it is just those top 2 fan leaves that seem to be affected?

BigCube

BigCube

Depending on your coco, it could already be buffered. So adjusting the ph might be complicating things. If it's mostly coco, you can't over water it. Typical coco watering is every other day in veg and daily in flower.

I believe your are over thinking it. Bringing a plant inside from outside shouldn't be a massive ordeal. Just bring it in. Put it directly on the light schedual you want. And be done with it.

As for one leaf looking strange one day, that's what we call micro managing. The best wait to ruin a grow. The less you do, the better they do. Changing lighting multiple times in a few days is not good. Specially for autos who are so fragile they herm just by looking at them.

Changing anything at all because one leaf looks strange to you is the fastest way to screw things up. Just stick to the schedule. Give it the light it needs, water and feed it when it needs. And DONT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT until you know you must.

The plant looks fine to me. Maybe a bit messed up from weird rapid changing light schedules. But fine.

C

CrazyHaze

Depending on your coco, it could already be buffered. So adjusting the ph might be complicating things. If it's mostly coco, you can't over water it. Typical coco watering is every other day in veg and daily in flower.

I believe your are over thinking it. Bringing a plant inside from outside shouldn't be a massive ordeal. Just bring it in. Put it directly on the light schedual you want. And be done with it.

As for one leaf looking strange one day, that's what we call micro managing. The best wait to ruin a grow. The less you do, the better they do. Changing lighting multiple times in a few days is not good. Specially for autos who are so fragile they herm just by looking at them.

Changing anything at all because one leaf looks strange to you is the fastest way to screw things up. Just stick to the schedule. Give it the light it needs, water and feed it when it needs. And DONT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT until you know you must.

The plant looks fine to me. Maybe a bit messed up from weird rapid changing light schedules. But fine.

OK thanks man, will be patient and sit back. Will leave the light on this schedule full time now and do as you advise, leave it.

BigCube

BigCube

That would be your beat bet right now I think. Watch it over the next few days, of there is something to that weird leaf, it should become clear over the next while.

Keep us updated! And good luck!

Enforcer

Enforcer

I increased the distance of the lamp first thing this morning, its now sitting at about 2.5 feet from the top of the tallest plant.

IMO, this was your problem and you already fixed it. You donā€™t need to do anything crazy going from outdoor to indoor. Going the other way you need to harden off due to the intensity of the sun. But they will be fine just going right on 12/12 indoors. LED lights need to be at least 18ā€ away from the canopy at full bloom with healthy plants. More if they are younger or sick. When I move my plants into the flower tent, I start them out under my light at 36ā€ and over a few days lower it to 24ā€.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Mine are doing the same in coco , I'm sure I'm over watering

They not been watered today I'm Gonna leave them dry another day or 2

Don't think it'd cal mag issue I don't think it can cause this anyway.. I use to use cal mag and in had all sorts of problems even mag deficiency from using it lol

IMG 20190904 124625
IMG 20190904 124525
IMG 20190904 124501
IMG 20190902 194140
IMG 20190904 124528

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah, calmag is way overused. Most people dont need it, but use it anyways.
Even in coco, most pre mixes are fortified so you dont need it.

I can't stress this enough though. If you are using coco primarily there is no way you can over water. You would have to plug your drain holes and let it sit in water for that to happen.

If you water a 5 gallon pot with 25 gallons of water, as soon as the last of the 25 gallons drains out of the bottom of the pot, there is 30% oxygen in the coco. Seconds after watering.

It is not possible to over water coco, unless that's what you're trying to do.
And even then, you would have to work very hard at it.

Over watered plants sag and droop.
I dont see anything like that here.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Yeah, calmag is way overused. Most people dont need it, but use it anyways.
Even in coco, most pre mixes are fortified so you dont need it.

I can't stress this enough though. If you are using coco primarily there is no way you can over water. You would have to plug your drain holes and let it sit in water for that to happen.

If you water a 5 gallon pot with 25 gallons of water, as soon as the last of the 25 gallons drains out of the bottom of the pot, there is 30% oxygen in the coco. Seconds after watering.

It is not possible to over water coco, unless that's what you're trying to do.
And even then, you would have to work very hard at it.

Over watered plants sag and droop.
I dont see anything like that here.
People keep saying you can't over water but iv managed to a few times lately, but never had this i just had slow growth and drinking slow..
And I know the while plant should droop, but i though it might be early sign that iv never had before but this time I have..

Im hand watering and under using my auto pot tray, so they where having rub off then sitting in about 5-10 mll run off for few hours to half a day so I'm guessing they my over watering issue?

I though it might be the fan weren't that.. Iv had in it the past with soil and auto pots if I set the auto pot up to soon before their fully rooted it would causes it. Might be something else this any ideas?

C

CrazyHaze

People keep saying you can't over water but iv managed to a few times lately, but never had this i just had slow growth and drinking slow..
And I know the while plant should droop, but i though it might be early sign that iv never had before but this time I have..

Im hand watering and under using my auto pot tray, so they where having rub off then sitting in about 5-10 mll run off for few hours to half a day so I'm guessing they my over watering issue?

I though it might be the fan weren't that.. Iv had in it the past with soil and auto pots if I set the auto pot up to soon before their fully rooted it would causes it. Might be something else this any ideas?

I keep getting people tell me this too..... and on a different forum (where my grow journal is) i am being told it is over watering... but yet the same guy last week was telling it is impossible to over water in coco. As far as i can tell with my drooping leaves, its either the light (which ive already fixed) or it was over watered (i personally doubt this very much but i will dry them out for a few days and see how they react).

Different strokes for different folks, i suppose all you can do is take all the advice on board and give it a go. Being my first grow, im not expecting much, just try to learn every where i can.

BigCube

BigCube

What mix of coco are you using may I ask? It sounds like you have a peat heavy mix.

Ph 007

Ph 007

I keep getting people tell me this too..... and on a different forum (where my grow journal is) i am being told it is over watering... but yet the same guy last week was telling it is impossible to over water in coco. As far as i can tell with my drooping leaves, its either the light (which ive already fixed) or it was over watered (i personally doubt this very much but i will dry them out for a few days and see how they react).

Different strokes for different folks, i suppose all you can do is take all the advice on board and give it a go. Being my first grow, im not expecting much, just try to learn every where i can.
I have over waterd a few tines in coco it can be done, let it dry a bit want kill it, leave the pot get quite light they say this is bad but again iv done this no problems,

BigCube

BigCube

I hear ya man. One of the big issues is, people dont clarify what they mean by you can't overwater coco. I tried to, and maybe wasn't clear enough when I said, if your mix is primarily coco. There are lots of mixes that have very little actual coco in it, but call it cocowhatever. 30% coco and 60% Peat, isn't going to act like coco.

Coco growers say you can't overwater cause, they assume you're actually using coco. If youre using a 30% coco mix, you shouldn't be calling it coco. Lol

But if your mix is primarily coco coir, it would not be possible to accidentally overwater.

C

CrazyHaze

I hear ya man. One of the big issues is, people dont clarify what they mean by you can't overwater coco. I tried to, and maybe wasn't clear enough when I said, if your mix is primarily coco. There are lots of mixes that have very little actual coco in it, but call it cocowhatever. 30% coco and 60% Peat, isn't going to act like coco.

Coco growers say you can't overwater cause, they assume you're actually using coco. If youre using a 30% coco mix, you shouldn't be calling it coco. Lol

But if your mix is primarily coco coir, it would not be possible to accidentally overwater.

Mine is primarily Coco Coir. Whatever it was, it fixed itself yesterday. I got home last night and she is looking healthy af again. Heres a few shots for you all.

Firstly, the "sick" plant when i got home. last night.... not looking so sick anymore.

4FDBFBE3 DB9A 4571 9BB0 DB3FCA458067

Then as i didnt really show the grow, heres a couple of shots from this morning...

84913E26 00C6 4713 93E4 EF67281E448E

1B991ACB 9898 4E3C 95DA C0070532A4DF

Enforcer

Enforcer

Mine is primarily Coco Coir. Whatever it was, it fixed itself yesterday. I got home last night and she is looking healthy af again. Heres a few shots for you all.

Firstly, the "sick" plant when i got home. last night.... not looking so sick anymore.

View attachment 893512

Then as i didnt really show the grow, heres a couple of shots from this morning...

View attachment 893513
View attachment 893514

Nice workšŸ‘ Make sure you keep moving the light up as they grow until they are bigger and can handle it closer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom