Help! Co2 generator or tank/bottle?

• Thread starter Greenmantis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greenmantis

I am setting up a 10x10 grow tent and I don't know whether to go with a co2 generator or tank? Can someone share their opinion on this please? Which would be more efficient with costs and why? And if I choose to go with the generator how many burners do I need for the 10x10 tent? Which brand would you recommend? Where should I install or setup the burner?

So many questions and so little time...

G

Greenmantis

Anyone with any thoughts on this subject of generators vs tanks?

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Generators create unwanted heat int he summer. I use a tank/reg in summer and gen in the winter..

A

amstercal

Burners are more efficient cost wise if you plan on growing more than a few months since refills are cheaper on propane. Also the convenience is huge because there are so many more places to fill a propane tank and it's so much less conspicuous and sooooo much lighter. However, the generator will definitely produce heat so that might cost you more in a/c etc., and it just seems wrong to me personally to hang something with a flame on a tent frame. I wouldn't want to tell you which way to go without seeing your setup, but I hope that helps. I, for myself, would almost always pick a burner because carrying around tanks SUCKS.

long term a generator is going to be cheaper, especially if you can tap into your homes gas line. that being said, make sure you get one that has an electronic ignition, which normally is a 2 burner setup. they do run hot for the few minutes they are on, so i took a 2'x2' piece of cement board to help dissipate the heat

G

Greenmantis

Generators create unwanted heat int he summer. I use a tank/reg in summer and gen in the winter..

That is a brilliant plan Surfr, unfortunately for me, I am on a tight budget with this new setup so I have to choose one or the other but will go with your suggestion when I can afford to.

G

Greenmantis

Burners are more efficient cost wise if you plan on growing more than a few months since refills are cheaper on propane. Also the convenience is huge because there are so many more places to fill a propane tank and it's so much less conspicuous and sooooo much lighter. However, the generator will definitely produce heat so that might cost you more in a/c etc., and it just seems wrong to me personally to hang something with a flame on a tent frame. I wouldn't want to tell you which way to go without seeing your setup, but I hope that helps. I, for myself, would almost always pick a burner because carrying around tanks SUCKS.

Thanks amstercal, I can definitely see some of the advantages in using a burner over a tank...

G

Greenmantis

long term a generator is going to be cheaper, especially if you can tap into your homes gas line. that being said, make sure you get one that has an electronic ignition, which normally is a 2 burner setup. they do run hot for the few minutes they are on, so i took a 2'x2' piece of cement board to help dissipate the heat

I wish that I had a gas line to tap into but the place is in the boondocks and only runs on electricity. I hate electric ranges but it is very secluded and old. Doesn't have a gas tank installed on the property. But it's not that difficult to pick up a propane tank...

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

You might look into a CO2 maker..They are tablets that drop into a 3gallon bucket that slowly dissolve and release CO2. They run about 120 buck. I think(stress think) they last 2 to 3 months. You cant control the output is the one drawback(they(the company) say they output 1200-1500approx for the entire time they are 'on'), but they produce no heat, are refillable(about 75 bucks), weigh about 1-2lbs, and can be ordered online...By the way CO2 tank can be delivered. I get a weekly delivery for a 50lb tank cost is 33 bucks(32 for tank 1 for hazmat)..

A

amstercal

You might look into a CO2 maker..They are tablets that drop into a 3gallon bucket that slowly dissolve and release CO2. They run about 120 buck. I think(stress think) they last 2 to 3 months. You cant control the output is the one drawback(they(the company) say they output 1200-1500approx for the entire time they are 'on'), but they produce no heat, are refillable(about 75 bucks), weigh about 1-2lbs, and can be ordered online...By the way CO2 tank can be delivered. I get a weekly delivery for a 50lb tank cost is 33 bucks(32 for tank 1 for hazmat)..

Great deal! Do you mind sharing who with?

G

Greenmantis

Thanks for the input vonwolfen, I'll definitely look into the tablets. I live in Southern Cali, south of L.A. do they deliver down here?

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Thanks for the input vonwolfen, I'll definitely look into the tablets. I live in Southern Cali, south of L.A. do they deliver down here?

Below is a link to the CO2 Generator(useing tablets)..

http://www.horticulturesource.com/e...4676/?osCsid=e59d4cd853e07cee5e3617f6f11d5398

CO2 tanks can be rented(50.00deposit for a 50lb tank) through bar and restaurant services..They use the tanks normally for carbonation(coke, pepsi, etc)..I am in SFV, so I dont know of any specific service in South LA, just look on-line for CO2 providers(bars, and restaurants)..Try getting aluminum tanks, steel tanks are extremely heavy(even empty they are heavier then the aluminum ones)..

Amstercal...Does this answer your question as well?

Top Bottom