Help coco coir big issues

• Thread starter bigshots
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigshots

right so I've got 3 autos in 2 gallon fabric pots, 60/40 coco perlite, using flora grow micro, bloom & cal meg. used half amount recomended temp 18-22 55-65 RH,
first i thought it was too cold after being waters so, i put and electric blanket and raised the pots, didnt realy work being stressing about under watering over weatering so. im going back to just use it like soil my second thought is the medium too compact and wet, got a mars hydro ts1000 i hang it 36" above at 25% untill there 8inch there only 5/6inch atm still not solved honestly i hate coco nots sure what im doing wrong please help
Help coco coir big issues
Help coco coir big issues 2
Help coco coir big issues 3

B

bigshots

watering till 5/10%run off every 2 /3 days... never letting the coco turn light brown or the pot get light , stated off with 0.5ml/l now started full dose there are now 15 days old from sprout

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

Medium looks very wet, i'd give them a dry period for a couple days, sometimes less is more.

Kevuk

Kevuk

watering till 5/10%run off every 2 /3 days... never letting the coco turn light brown or the pot get light , stated off with 0.5ml/l now started full dose there are now 15 days old from sprout

Not enough. Coco needs watering at least once a day, preferably twice.

This provides the roots with oxygen as well as nutes/water.

Coco is hydro. Nothing like soil.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I always watered coco with ~5.7 pH. Coco is high pH to begin with normally (6.4 or so), so, I also like to get the pH down to ~5.8 (using epsom salt, vinegar, gypsum, etc.), before starting any plants. I also water my coco same as soil, pretty much, when it starts to lighten up a bit. I like to cover the tops with plastic so the pot will dry more evenly, not so much top first. I also wouldn't use fabric pots indoors, but they are a good price, so if I had some, I'd line them with plastic and make holes in the bottom if I thought I would need them (I don't, some do).

If you are pHing your water, make sure it's not rising on you, if it is, try and let it sit for a week before using and keep dark so no algae

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Do you have a fan blowing on them? I think you can lower your lights a bit. 36" @ 25% is pretty weak light intensity for that light. Perhaps lower it to 24" @ 50% intensity and see how the plants react? It looks like the manufacturer recommends 18" @ 50% for seedlings. Probably a good starting point.

You pH should be fine anywhere in the 5.7 - 6.2 range, at least that what I've experienced with coco so far.

2 Gallon pots are pretty big for a plant that size, I'd let them dry out a just bit and not go crazy with watering until you know your roots are well established. Once you're confident they're established, keep the coco wet by watering multiple times and treat it like hydro.

I followed @Aqua Man 's how to water coco thread and had no problems whatsoever.

Dye

Dye

Not enough. Coco needs watering at least once a day, preferably twice.

This provides the roots with oxygen as well as nutes/water.

Coco is hydro. Nothing like soil.
Coco’s nickname is hydro on training wheels, it is a lot more forgiving then straight hydro.
I love it, been using it for a long time. It is good to use to make your own soils etc.
but coco is nothing like a soil grow its hydro on training wheels my speed.

Shayne010944

Shayne010944

Coco’s nickname is hydro on training wheels, it is a lot more forgiving then straight hydro.
I love it, been using it for a long time. It is good to use to make your own soils etc.
but coco is nothing like a soil grow its hydro on training wheels my speed.
If your feeding plants at say 1.6ec in flower and outdoors in coco too. How do you combat if you have 32 degree days and coco dries out within few hrs. Then all leaves get dark green?

Dye

Dye

If your feeding plants at say 1.6ec in flower and outdoors in coco too. How do you combat if you have 32 degree days and coco dries out within few hrs. Then all leaves get dark green?
They sell lava rock it has other names hydro rock leave a few inches on top of pot fill with rock.
put more vermiculite in your coco. cut feeding in half, nothing is helping at 32 degrees but prayer.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I’ve used coco a bit and never water based off of how much time has passed. I.e. every day. Always watered same as soil, when the pot starts to lighten or the plant show signs of needing watered.

If I have a seedling in a well saturated 1 gallon pot of coco do I need to water what is already watered just because it’s the next day? My plant now in organic coco grow, water once a week so far

Observationist

Observationist

Coco is awesome

you just have to learn how to use it properly

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Coco is awesome

you just have to learn how to use it properly

Same as soil (and anything else I have used), imo, have not noticed a difference anyways.

I use same pH (~5.8), nutes (1 bottle, general purpose), and watering methods (when the pot lightens up, water the medium).

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Water the plants 1 or 2 times a day. I only feed 1 time a day. I get it from 16 to 32 ozs of water at that stage. I get up to 64 Oz of water when fully flowering. Can't water over water in coco or will get those droopy results.

Observationist

Observationist

Same as soil (and anything else I have used), imo, have not noticed a difference anyways.

Because you have to know how to use coco….
Because the plant is in too big of a pot, it’s barely established and environment is not ideal.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
How big is the pot?
How often are you watering?
is the environment ideal?
How big is the pot? 1/4 cup - 3 gallons

How often are you watering? when the pot/container, is lighter due to less water in it - few days to a week normally

is the environment ideal? Cannabis' ideal is where it grows, outdoors, in nature, naturally - I am not even close to ideal, for starters, I am indoors, using a man made light.

I have used coco for many plant species, not just cannabis. I use it that same way for all plant species I have grown.

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

How big is the pot? 1/4 cup - 3 gallons

How often are you watering? when the pot/container, is lighter due to less water in it - few days to a week normally

is the environment ideal? Cannabis' ideal is where it grows, outdoors, in nature, naturally - I am not even close to ideal

I have used coco for many plant species, not just cannabis. I use it that same way for all plant species I have grown.
I was replying to the thread OP

oops

but now I see, no wonder.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I was replying to the thread OP

oops

but now I see, no wonder.
Feel free to elaborate. You are telling us ~it is a must to water coco everyday and we can't treat it like soil. I've always had good results treating coco the same as soil, water when the pot lightens.

The only plants I have that need watered ~everyday, are outdoors in summer and they are in way to small of a pot, that is restricting root growth, which is restricting overall growth, far from ideal.

DanC520

DanC520

Can you treat coco like soil? Sure. But to maximize it’s potential you need to utilize high frequency fertigation. My last run my gals were fed 9x during lights on (auto flowers, every two hours on 18/6).

Latest posts

Top Bottom