Help diagnose what’s wrong with my girl

• Thread starter Grassgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In buffered (including lime or oyster shell) potting soil monitoring ph is still important. But you cant really adjust it. Well shouldnt. It will always try return to the preset ph.

If its low there is likely too much fertilizer build up. If it is high too much calcium buildup or possibly underfeeding.

But normal tap water will not change the ph regardless of the waters ph. Well maybe if it has been overly flushed with tons of water and the lime has washed out too much. But i have multiple flushed out plants in pots up to 12 weeks that still show set ph. 6.5 in ocean forest for example. I never adjust ph for water or nutes and use 8.0 ph well water. But it has only 150 ppm of mineral content. About perfect.

What is important is to know whats in your source water and how it interacts with the nutrients and soil.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Hi, haven’t been so far but I know I should do and I will from now on. Ok that’s good to know, it’s just so confusing because you have people saying no need to ph soil grows and ph down causes lockout in soil grows that’s why I was too worried to adjust it. Next time I’ll know to adjust ph from the start. Thanks
I've almost always done soil type grows, I keep water at 6-6.5 ph when watering, I know some say it doesn't matter with soil but I've personally seen that it does for mine. Maybe others have different water or something but I can tell within 24hrs if I don't use ph water

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've almost always done soil type grows, I keep water at 6-6.5 ph when watering, I know some say it doesn't matter with soil but I've personally seen that it does for mine. Maybe others have different water or something but I can tell within 24hrs if I don't use ph water

My plants always yellowed prematurely if i use ph down. It eventually neutralizes the lime in the potting soil if your water does not need acidifying.

It depends on whats in the water.

Of course most everyone likes to fade plants at the end or say they yellow naturally. They dont when cared for properly.

It was the breeder of the seeds i was growing that originally told me my pots were acidic and to quit adding acid for no reason.

And any search in university info or any greenhouse nutrient guide will say the same.

If the source water is actually very alkaline from too much mineral content it should be mixed with ro water down to 150 ppm for best results.

This info is even on jacks classic website. Not to ph the solution.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Agree, my plants definitely suffer if I don't adjust pH! My tap is 100 PPM at 8.9 pH

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Agree, my plants definitely suffer if I don't adjust pH! My tap is 100 PPM at 8.9 pH
My plain tap water is 8.5 or higher even after sitting for couple days, it's bad here. I havent had ppm meter in years & I use drops to measure ph

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Though when I'm just using calmag, I have to lower ph, if I'm giving full nutrient dose & calmag then I actually add water because its little too low so my full nutes are really 3/4

Latest posts

Top Bottom