Help diagnosing deficiency

• Thread starter 906Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
906Grower

906Grower

This is my first time growing and Iā€™m running into what I believe is a deficiency problem. This plant was stunted and had what I believe was root rot early on. I managed to get it back on track and it seemed to be doing well. Over the last two days I noticed all of my leaves are drooping and yellowing/browning on the tips of the leaves. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a pH balance or nutrient deficiency. I keep my pH around 6.1-6.2 and the run off pH is usually around there as well. Iā€™m feeding nutrients at an EC of 800 and slowly increasing (I know I should be in the 1200 EC range but I get nute burn easily so Iā€™m slowly trying to increase). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Bottom picture is from today, the rest are Friday and yesterday

Help diagnosing deficiency
Help diagnosing deficiency 2
Help diagnosing deficiency 3
az2000

az2000

Did someone tell you 6.1-6.2 is right? Usually soilless is lower, especially in veg. But, coco may be different.

Are you using 3-part Flora series? Are you following a schedule? Which one? (Or, how are you much of each bottle are you using?).

How often do you water? (You feed each time you water?).

It doesn't look underfed to me. If anything, you're pushing the max. You might back down a little.

906Grower

906Grower

Did someone tell you 6.1-6.2 is right? Usually soilless is lower, especially in veg. But, coco may be different.

Are you using 3-part Flora series? Are you following a schedule? Which one? (Or, how are you much of each bottle are you using?).

How often do you water? (You feed each time you water?).

It doesn't look underfed to me. If anything, you're pushing the max. You might back down a little.
As far as pH, both threads on here, cocoforcannabis.com, and other internet searches say 5.8-6.3 is a good range to get the maximum benefit of nutrients. It seems like most go 6.0-6.2 for the vegging state and stay around 5.8 for flower.

For nutrients I feed every watering: I mix up a gallon and feed twice a day (usually around 8:30am and 6:30pm). I use the 3 part flora series along with Armor Si/CalMag/Rapid Start/Diamond Nectar. I follow the low end of a chart I found for General Hydroponics nutrients series.

The leaves feel paper-like and have raised ridges between the veins. Was I mis-interpreting that as underfed?

906Grower

906Grower

If anyone has any reliable websites they recommend for information Iā€™d love to hear it. Iā€™m finding a lot of conflicting information itā€™s a little overwhelming for a complete beginner.

az2000

az2000

For nutrients I feed every watering: I mix up a gallon and feed twice a day (usually around 8:30am and 6:30pm). I use the 3 part flora series along with Armor Si/CalMag/Rapid Start/Diamond Nectar. I follow the low end of a chart I found for General Hydroponics nutrients series.

The leaves feel paper-like and have raised ridges between the veins. Was I mis-interpreting that as underfed?

I haven't seen the low-end chart. Using the chart on their US website (and the 3-2-1 schedule printed on the bottle), I figured out the NPK ratio that results. GH Flora series is pretty high in K during veg. (That's why I asked how much you've been using of each bottle.). That could have something to do with the leather-leaf you mentioned. Overfeeding could do that too. (Maybe both.).

It doesn't look underfed to me. And, you said you had some burnt tips (which is in the overfeeding direction). Usually people err in the direction of overfeeding. So, I don't think it would hurt to cut back and see how it goes.

General Hydroponics   Flora Series 3 part   schedule 3 2 1
az2000

az2000

As far as pH, both threads on here, cocoforcannabis.com, and other internet searches say 5.8-6.3 is a good range to get the maximum benefit of nutrients. It seems like most go 6.0-6.2 for the vegging state and stay around 5.8 for flower.

I don't know much (if anything) about coco. I just googled and the first thing I looked at said:

"Plants grown in coco coir need a pH level ranging from 5.5 to 6.3, depending on the life stage of the plants. Normally, pH is adjusted to 5.5 ā€“ 5.8 during growth and 6.0 ā€“ 6.3 during bloom, which helps the plant to assimilate the most demanded nutrients at each stage." -- https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/grow-cannabis-plants-coco-fibres/

That's how I remember using peat & perlite. I think it had to do with the nutrient availability chart, and making different nutrients more available in flower.

I don't know if that could be affecting you. It just stood stood out to me in your first post.

906Grower

906Grower

I don't know much (if anything) about coco. I just googled and the first thing I looked at said:

"Plants grown in coco coir need a pH level ranging from 5.5 to 6.3, depending on the life stage of the plants. Normally, pH is adjusted to 5.5 ā€“ 5.8 during growth and 6.0 ā€“ 6.3 during bloom, which helps the plant to assimilate the most demanded nutrients at each stage." -- https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/grow-cannabis-plants-coco-fibres/

That's how I remember using peat & perlite. I think it had to do with the nutrient availability chart, and making different nutrients more available in flower.

I don't know if that could be affecting you. It just stood stood out to me in your first post.
Thatā€™s possible. I may try lowering my pH a bit and see if that helps.

906Grower

906Grower

I haven't seen the low-end chart. Using the chart on their US website (and the 3-2-1 schedule printed on the bottle), I figured out the NPK ratio that results. GH Flora series is pretty high in K during veg. (That's why I asked how much you've been using of each bottle.). That could have something to do with the leather-leaf you mentioned. Overfeeding could do that too. (Maybe both.).

It doesn't look underfed to me. And, you said you had some burnt tips (which is in the overfeeding direction). Usually people err in the direction of overfeeding. So, I don't think it would hurt to cut back and see how it goes.
I havenā€™t seen this chart. Iā€™ll post a picture of the chart I found on the coco website that talked about how they use nutrients. Could this be nutrient burn? I read that if a plant experiences nutrient burn that the plant may be more sensitive to high concentrations and to go slow.

F34E0F19 23FB 4B18 AEDE 145B526F222F
az2000

az2000

I havenā€™t seen this chart. Iā€™ll post a picture of the chart I found on the coco website that talked about how they use nutrients. Could this be nutrient burn? I read that if a plant experiences nutrient burn that the plant may be more sensitive to high concentrations and to go slow.

Is that chart from GH? You're mixing those amounts per gallon, not per liter (right?). Which week are you doing?

Looking at "late veg," that's not very strong. The NPK ratio is 2.14-1-2.61 . (I'm not counting the floralicious and other things. Just the 3 bottles.). That's high K by my standards. But, some people do that. (Some of GH's schedules have K going to 3 parts. You saw that in the chart I posted above.). I think that can cause thick, leathery leaves. But, so can overfeeding. Overfeeding a high proportion of K might do it more.

The calculated PPM is 179. (That counts elemental P&K. It's actually supplied as p2o5 & k2o. That comes out to 205ppm. In reality, it tends to be somewhere in between. Either way, that's pretty low. I thought soilless growing tended to feed stronger.

However. The schedule says "high frequency." If it expects you to feed every day, that could be like feeding 600ppm every 3 days. So, maybe that's the way it's strong.

To me, the leaves don't look like you're underfeeding. I wouldn't feed more.

When you feed, do you get runoff? That would help prevent salt buildup in the medium. I assume that's not wanted in coco.

If you want to work out the exact NPK ratios you're feeding, I can give you the spreadsheet I use. It's kind of handy to see what results from mixing bottles different ways. If you ever contemplated a different "lineup," you could compare what you're feeding more objectively (what the plant's seeing, not how much from each bottle.).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My 0.2 it's not recovered enough to feed much. It doesn't look hungry. How recently do you think you have fixed the root rot issue is going to be important. If it was a while ago I would say you may have root issues again. How did you treat the root rot issue?

It looks to me like the plant is having a hard time transpiring. It's looking more like roots issues but could possibly be a combination of previous root damage and UNDER watering.

What media and how often are you watering?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Guess I should have read the thread first. I would get that plant under a much lower light source until it fully recovers. Light drives growth and when a plant is not healthy it can make problems worse.its not transpiring well and the dry leaves will die so just pay attention to new growth.

I'm thinking you have root issues but cannot say if its root rot, nutrient lockout, etc etc etc.

What kind of temps is that plant under and what's the humidity like?

Rdub

Rdub

I was also following this schedule with added cal mag and ran into nute burn I cut everything in half and it seems to be helping

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Have you had pH fluctuation?

906Grower

906Grower

I was also following this schedule with added cal mag and ran into nute burn I cut everything in half and it seems to be helping
Thatā€™s good to know from someone following the same schedule. I backed down on my EC and all my new growth seems to be doing well

Latest posts

Top Bottom