Help figuring out what deficency my girls are going through

• Thread starter farmer219
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
farmer219

farmer219

Yeah, you should be watering once a day to about 10-15% runoff at this stage. I think they were/are becoming deficient in K.

I see. I know rockwool is hard to overfeed with but would it overfeed the plant if i water them everyday w/ 15% run off? They're still heavy af

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I see. I know rockwool is hard to overfeed with but would it overfeed the plant if i water them everyday w/ 15% run off? They're still heavy af

Its a funny one to grow in. Until those roots emerge out the bottom of the hugo its VERY easy to stall the plants by overwatering, but once theyre rooted through the block its game on. Doesnt matter if theyre still heavy, hit them again lol.

Once the block is rooted the idea is to keep them between 70-100% saturated all the time (rough unscientific number off the top of my head). It gets even more important as they get bigger. You want a little dryback but not much.

farmer219

farmer219

Its a funny one to grow in. Until those roots emerge out the bottom of the hugo its VERY easy to stall the plants by overwatering, but once theyre rooted through the block its game on. Doesnt matter if theyre still heavy, hit them again lol.

Once the block is rooted the idea is to keep them between 70-100% saturated all the time (rough unscientific number off the top of my head). It gets even more important as they get bigger. You want a little dryback but not much.

Thanks! I'm not familiar with dryback. Can you explain what that is?

farmer219

farmer219

@Dirtbag @TheBioMaster @Aqua Man

So i just measured the run off and it was at 2200 ppm @ 6.6 ph 😱
Will def use less nutes and water daily.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Dirtbag @TheBioMaster @Aqua Man

So i just measured the run off and it was at 2200 ppm @ 6.6 ph 😱
Will def use less nutes and water daily.
May want a good flush and wanna get that ph down quite a bit... gonna say 5.6-6.0 but not the best person on rockwool.

That buildup is due to lack of fertigation.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

How is it going @farmer219 ? Most of your pics are up close but from the looks of it we are running a very similar system, I am also in rockwool and top feeding. Went through an almost identical situation as you; definitely don't be afraid to do a fairly heaving feed at 5.0 ph and a lighter ppm if you're having the same issue. Although I know your last post was a couple weeks ago hopefully you're all good now. I did this for 5 or 6 days and things finally settled in. If you're feeding somewhere in the range of 5.5-5.8 ph and whatever your feed ppm is, then the runoff being 6.0-6.5 ph and close to your feed ppm is generally a good thing. The plant took up all the necessary elements and the result of the runoff is usually 6.0-6.5. If you want to get a closer view of what's going on I would suggest poking a syringe into the bottom half of the cube to take a sample of what's actually going on in the cube itself. Don't make the mistake of looking at your runoff and trying to correct that, the ph is almost always going to be higher at least in veg. In my experience if a syringe sample is sitting around the mid 5's and the runoff is in the mid 6's and the ppm is about the same, I am cruising and happy.

You should start a journal! I would definitely follow along since it looks like we're in similar stages and similar system. Btw all the input from people in this thread is top notch, I know they've helped me a ton.

farmer219

farmer219

How is it going @farmer219 ? Most of your pics are up close but from the looks of it we are running a very similar system, I am also in rockwool and top feeding. Went through an almost identical situation as you; definitely don't be afraid to do a fairly heaving feed at 5.0 ph and a lighter ppm if you're having the same issue. Although I know your last post was a couple weeks ago hopefully you're all good now. I did this for 5 or 6 days and things finally settled in. If you're feeding somewhere in the range of 5.5-5.8 ph and whatever your feed ppm is, then the runoff being 6.0-6.5 ph and close to your feed ppm is generally a good thing. The plant took up all the necessary elements and the result of the runoff is usually 6.0-6.5. If you want to get a closer view of what's going on I would suggest poking a syringe into the bottom half of the cube to take a sample of what's actually going on in the cube itself. Don't make the mistake of looking at your runoff and trying to correct that, the ph is almost always going to be higher at least in veg. In my experience if a syringe sample is sitting around the mid 5's and the runoff is in the mid 6's and the ppm is about the same, I am cruising and happy.

You should start a journal! I would definitely follow along since it looks like we're in similar stages and similar system. Btw all the input from people in this thread is top notch, I know they've helped me a ton.

Hey! I'm doing good and my baby girls are back! So what happened was i was overfeeding the life out of my girls at ~800 ppm at week 1-3 because I was following my buddy's regiment - but he forgot to tell me one thing, he uses co2!!!!! It took my awhile to figure out why im burning my plants but with forums help i dialed it down to ~500 - 600ppm and the girls jumped back.

I appreciate the info about the run off. When i was ph'ing at 5.8 my run off came out at ph 6.6, which is fine but in ppm was 800 and run off ppm was 1500! holy shit that was stupid.

Another mistake i think i was making was that I wasn't feeding the girls everyday which is diff from what my grower buddy (he's been growing for dispensaries for a while) said - he said to feed them when they're light. So i was feeding them about every 4 days then i'd saturate the cube and then wait until they were light again. How often do you feed your girls? Everyday? I started feeding them everyday and it seemed to help but I just wanted to see if anyone else fed them like my friend.

I've attached recent pics of my babies on their first day of flowering :D

Let me know if you see anything wrong with them.

IMG 4667
IMG 4668
PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Hey! I'm doing good and my baby girls are back! So what happened was i was overfeeding the life out of my girls at ~800 ppm at week 1-3 because I was following my buddy's regiment - but he forgot to tell me one thing, he uses co2!!!!! It took my awhile to figure out why im burning my plants but with forums help i dialed it down to ~500 - 600ppm and the girls jumped back.

I appreciate the info about the run off. When i was ph'ing at 5.8 my run off came out at ph 6.6, which is fine but in ppm was 800 and run off ppm was 1500! holy shit that was stupid.

Another mistake i think i was making was that I wasn't feeding the girls everyday which is diff from what my grower buddy (he's been growing for dispensaries for a while) said - he said to feed them when they're light. So i was feeding them about every 4 days then i'd saturate the cube and then wait until they were light again. How often do you feed your girls? Everyday? I started feeding them everyday and it seemed to help but I just wanted to see if anyone else fed them like my friend.

I've attached recent pics of my babies on their first day of flowering :D

Let me know if you see anything wrong with them.
Nice looking healthy and lush in there! Yea RW does well with a lot of small feedings, if it dries back too much you get salt buildup and the ph starts to swing wildly. The only time I usually do feedings 4 days apart is usually right after I transplant into the hugos so I don't drown the tiny roots. Once the roots start popping out of the cube is when they start getting more frequent feedings, this is usually around the time they should take off too. Although, I don't see any drippers or anything are you handwatering?

farmer219

farmer219

Nice looking healthy and lush in there! Yea RW does well with a lot of small feedings, if it dries back too much you get salt buildup and the ph starts to swing wildly. The only time I usually do feedings 4 days apart is usually right after I transplant into the hugos so I don't drown the tiny roots. Once the roots start popping out of the cube is when they start getting more frequent feedings, this is usually around the time they should take off too. Although, I don't see any drippers or anything are you handwatering?

yep i'm handwatering and it SUCKS. I might just pick up a diy drip system from amazon for my next grow

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

yep i'm handwatering and it SUCKS. I might just pick up a diy drip system from amazon for my next grow
Damn handwatering is gon get tough once the cubes are full of roots in flower but it's doable. Just gotta get a feel for it, I suck at it but slowly getting better. Kind of a guessing and balancing game to get the right dryback each night. Yea I would def set up a drip system for next run, being in the flower room a bunch of times a day just to feed is a PITA lol. But you're in it now so best of luck and I'll be following along, you're prob 2 weeks ahead of me in veg but cool to see another rockwool grow on here. Keep it up

farmer219

farmer219

Damn handwatering is gon get tough once the cubes are full of roots in flower but it's doable. Just gotta get a feel for it, I suck at it but slowly getting better. Kind of a guessing and balancing game to get the right dryback each night. Yea I would def set up a drip system for next run, being in the flower room a bunch of times a day just to feed is a PITA lol. But you're in it now so best of luck and I'll be following along, you're prob 2 weeks ahead of me in veg but cool to see another rockwool grow on here. Keep it up

Thanks!
Just saw your thread and gotta say i love your setup.

Whats the drip system youre using? Stakes or something else?

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Thanks!
Just saw your thread and gotta say i love your setup.

Whats the drip system youre using? Stakes or something else?
thanks man pretty much just copy and pasted another grower on here @cemchris , if you want some inspiration

but ya stakes with 1/4 line connected to a manifold fed by a submersible pump in a barrel outside of the tent. im not a great builder and it was easy for me to setup if ur thinking of doing something similar.

Top Bottom