Help! I think my plant is dying!

• Thread starter josiec
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
az2000

az2000

used a combination of these 2 and a little bit of coffee grinds (heard it’s good Nutrients)

The next time you grow, I would stay away from the "moisture control" stuff. Staying wetter is typically the wrong direction to go. Also pay attention to the NPK values printed on the bag. That moisture control potting mix is 0.21-0.11-0.16. At that level, it could burn. Or, at least you wouldn't want to feed for some time (and often people don't know when to feed. In that sense it's better to use a potting mix with low values, and add light nutrients each watering. If you wanted to do that, MG Organic Choice is better. NPK 0.10-0.05-0.05.). Another problem with pre-fertilized soils (especially MG's pre-fertilized soils) is that the fertilize is usually time-released. The more you water, the worse it gets (as nutrients are released). You might have dodged that bullet by mixing it with the MG peat moss. But, MG adds fertizer to that too(!). 0.19-0.11-0.15. They add nutrients to everything. Organic Choice is the only thing I've seen people use, and like the results. But, you should add perlite (at least 25%) to that. (But, again, if you use MG's perlite you should soak/rinse it first because they add 0.11-0.11-0.11 to their perlite too.).

I think your problem is that you're not saturating the soil for 10% runoff, and then letting it dry substantially. It sounds like you're giving it sips every couple days. Some areas would be dry, other areas kept to wet.

Also, I wouldn't have a plant way below the edge of a container. I see people do that, and it seems like it would inhibit air flow, reduce the light. I would put the plant in a proper-size container, fill it to the top (almost) with soil. If you have something taller than you want to fill with soil, use a hacksaw and cut it down to the height you want.

az2000

az2000

Cofee is high in nitrogen. Any yellowing edges, tips, or veins? Because nitrogen poisoning can result in slight yellowing and drooping similar to over watering.

Nitrogen toxicity is typically identified by excessively dark green leaves, and the tips "clawing" downward. It's not the same droop as overwater or too-dry wilting. The only yellowing that might occur from excess nitrogen would be in the tips/edges from overfeeding (burn). You can overfeed to burn without having N tox. And, you can have N tox without overfeeding to the point of burn. They're two different things in that regard. But, could occur together.

J

josiec

Cofee is high in nitrogen. Any yellowing edges, tips, or veins? Because nitrogen poisoning can result in slight yellowing and drooping similar to over watering.
Yes super slight yellowing on 1 tip of 1 leaf all the way at the bottom, the others are totally green

visajoe1

visajoe1

new growth looking happy and healthy, nice job. keep your eye on the new growth, that will tell you whats going on.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks like the roots were either damaged or are just not generally healthy enough to keep up with transpiration.

I'd put a makeshift greenhouse over it to increase humidity until the roots grow out more. When the transpirational demand is higher than the roots can keep up with you get wilt. Outdoors in the sun, the transpirational demand is obviously higher.

J

josiec

Nitrogen toxicity is typically identified by excessively dark green leaves, and the tips "clawing" downward. It's not the same droop as overwater or too-dry wilting. The only yellowing that might occur from excess nitrogen would be in the tips/edges from overfeeding (burn). You can overfeed to burn without having N tox. And, you can have N tox without overfeeding to the point of burn. They're two different things in that regard. But, could occur together.
that sounds like what it might have... solutions to fix it???

J

josiec

The next time you grow, I would stay away from the "moisture control" stuff. Staying wetter is typically the wrong direction to go. Also pay attention to the NPK values printed on the bag. That moisture control potting mix is 0.21-0.11-0.16. At that level, it could burn. Or, at least you wouldn't want to feed for some time (and often people don't know when to feed. In that sense it's better to use a potting mix with low values, and add light nutrients each watering. If you wanted to do that, MG Organic Choice is better. NPK 0.10-0.05-0.05.). Another problem with pre-fertilized soils (especially MG's pre-fertilized soils) is that the fertilize is usually time-released. The more you water, the worse it gets (as nutrients are released). You might have dodged that bullet by mixing it with the MG peat moss. But, MG adds fertizer to that too(!). 0.19-0.11-0.15. They add nutrients to everything. Organic Choice is the only thing I've seen people use, and like the results. But, you should add perlite (at least 25%) to that. (But, again, if you use MG's perlite you should soak/rinse it first because they add 0.11-0.11-0.11 to their perlite too.).

I think your problem is that you're not saturating the soil for 10% runoff, and then letting it dry substantially. It sounds like you're giving it sips every couple days. Some areas would be dry, other areas kept to wet.

Also, I wouldn't have a plant way below the edge of a container. I see people do that, and it seems like it would inhibit air flow, reduce the light. I would put the plant in a proper-size container, fill it to the top (almost) with soil. If you have something taller than you want to fill with soil, use a hacksaw and cut it down to the height you want.
i’m nervous to water it a crazy amount bc i’m worried about over watering it... I saturate the top, when i pick it up & look at the holes at the bottom the soil is dry

az2000

az2000

that sounds like what it might have... solutions to fix it???

I don't see N toxicity. I think it's not being watered thoroughly (and allowed to dry). The high walls in the sun could have been hot, radiating heat toward the plant, creating a heat chamber.

i’m nervous to water it a crazy amount bc i’m worried about over watering it... I saturate the top, when i pick it up & look at the holes at the bottom the soil is dry

I know what you mean. But, if you're rationing water more frequently (two shot glasses), the soil doesn't become evenly wet. And, some soil may stay too wet, never allowed to dry more. I don't think cannabis can be over-watered (in terms of volume). The problem is watering too frequently (regardless of volume), staying to wet.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The roots wont explore bone dry soil for very long. You need to put the water where you want the roots to grow. Water thoroughly till you get runoff, then make a mini greenhouse from an old jug or stakes and plastic wrap or something.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is a common misconception. Over watering is from watering too often not too much volume. This keeps the bottom of the pot wet and drowns the roots. Good runoff keeps the excess nutrients and waste cleaned off the roots. The blocking of the roots by too much nutrients is what causes lockout.

This is why we need good drainage in the soil. So it washes through properly and quickly.

If you pour in enough water to saturate your soil you should see runoff within a minute. Simple drainage test.

J

josiec

I don't see N toxicity. I think it's not being watered thoroughly (and allowed to dry). The high walls in the sun could have been hot, radiating heat toward the plant, creating a heat chamber.

I know what you mean. But, if you're rationing water more frequently (two shot glasses), the soil doesn't become evenly wet. And, some soil may stay too wet, never allowed to dry more. I don't think cannabis can be over-watered (in terms of volume). The problem is watering too frequently (regardless of volume), staying to wet.
So i’ve switched to hosing it now instead of shot glasses, how long should i keep the hose on it for?

J

josiec

This is a common misconception. Over watering is from watering too often not too much volume. This keeps the bottom of the pot wet and drowns the roots. Good runoff keeps the excess nutrients and waste cleaned off the roots. The blocking of the roots by too much nutrients is what causes lockout.

This is why we need good drainage in the soil. So it washes through properly and quickly.

If you pour in enough water to saturate your soil you should see runoff within a minute. Simple drainage test.
is it the soil i chose to use that could be blocking the drainage? Or am i just not watering it long enough, using a hose now instead of the shot glasses

J

josiec

The roots wont explore bone dry soil for very long. You need to put the water where you want the roots to grow. Water thoroughly till you get runoff, then make a mini greenhouse from an old jug or stakes and plastic wrap or something.
like this idea!!! Thank you

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

is it the soil i chose to use that could be blocking the drainage? Or am i just not watering it long enough, using a hose now instead of the shot glasses

Well we dont know until you start to water properly. I dont like the hose idea though. I suggest watering evenly with a watering can or a big plastic cup like i use to make sure i pour evenly.

I also see that the soil only goes half way up the pot. Severely limits root space and when she gets bigger her leaves will likely hit the sides. And they need airflow underneath coming up through the leaves ideally.

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

Damn, See this is what damn near a decade off does to a guy. Makes sense though, now i dont know if it was this thread or the other thread i gave bad advice in, sorry to the op f it was this one

J

josiec

Well we dont know until you start to water properly. I dont like the hose idea though. I suggest watering evenly with a watering can or a big plastic cup like i use to make sure i pour evenly.

I also see that the soil only goes half way up the pot. Severely limits root space and when she gets bigger her leaves will likely hit the sides. And they need airflow underneath coming up through the leaves ideally.
so should i repot her again & move her up?

Top Bottom