Help! I think my plant is dying!

• Thread starter josiec
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
az2000

az2000

I think it was too dry. Now the soil looks universally saturated. You don't usually see over-watered plants perk up like that with more watering. But, you *do* see that with dry-wilting plants. They'll perk up after just 20 minutes. (But, you don't want to start erring in the opposite direction, keeping it to wet. Let it dry. It's good to lift the container and feel what "too dry" feels like. Then, try to get within 8 hours of that weight.).

Could have been heat stress too, the wall of the over-tall container radiating heat (if the sun angle was right, and maybe no breeze).

J

josiec

Now one last question, (I thank you all very much for the help!) When should I transfer these!?

J

josiec

I think it was too dry. Now the soil looks universally saturated. You don't usually see over-watered plants perk up like that with more watering. But, you *do* see that with dry-wilting plants. They'll perk up after just 20 minutes. (But, you don't want to start erring in the opposite direction, keeping it to wet. Let it dry. It's good to lift the container and feel what "too dry" feels like. Then, try to get within 8 hours of that weight.).

Could have been heat stress too, the wall of the over-tall container radiating heat (if the sun angle was right, and maybe no breeze).
Thank you for all your help!

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

okay so they’re good for now?
Pick the pot up and look up the drainage holes.... If you see white roots, then transplant immediately, if all you can see is the darkness of soil, rinse and repeat daily until you see white

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

Pick the pot up and look up the drainage holes.... If you see white roots, then transplant immediately, if all you can see is the darkness of soil, rinse and repeat daily until you see white
lol i realize that that was misleading, "rinse and repeat" was a shampoo joke, unless it is 95 and your plants have a huge root ball (in larger holes) will you have to water daily with most soil mixtures

az2000

az2000

I don't have an answer for when to transplant. I just go by when the plant's canopy seems too large for the container.

However, I have seen roots reach the drain hole just 24 hours (or 48, I don't remember) after transplanting. They can move fast. (If seeing roots had been the guiding principle, I would have transplanted again the day after transplanting. :) ). I'm not convinced that's the sign to look for. But, I don't have any solid advice myself.

TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne

I don't have an answer for when to transplant. I just go by when the plant's canopy seems too large for the container.

However, I have seen roots reach the drain hole just 24 hours (or 48, I don't remember) after transplanting. They can move fast. (If seeing roots had been the guiding principle, I would have transplanted again the day after transplanting. :) ). I'm not convinced that's the sign to look for. But, I don't have any solid advice myself.
You are right, I should have said "in my opinion" I suppose. That is always what I went by, and I never really had an issue with any plants on that front, but if you have a healthy food web, which most people growing in pots do not have unless they have cultivated themselves, which I don't think he is. So yeah, to clarify that is just my opinion on what I would do in his shoes, while inferring a few things based on posts.

Top Bottom