Help identifying amber colored bug shells on canopy fan leaves.

• Thread starter Smithers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smithers

Smithers

Hi everyone! I'm in need of help identifying these amber colored bug shells on my upper canopy fan leaf stems. At first I thought they were worms, but they are larvae shells of some kind. I have found about 6-8 of these little shells over my 2 plants, but see no bugs on the plant at all. I'm going to try to get some microscope pictures tomorrow if I find more, I checked under a lot of leaves and the stalks and it doesn't look major yet. I didn't see any sign of damage, but I've been defoliating the 2 plants pretty hard the last week. I have only seen them on the very top fan leaves at the upper part of the canopy. I did a quick google, and I didn't see much specific to this so I figured I'd post it.

Help identifying amber colored bug shells on canopy fan leaves 2

Help identifying amber colored bug shells on canopy fan leaves

Smithers

Smithers

Oh, and they’re still in veg, was going to flip soon-ish.

Ffof w/ 25% perlite. 5 gal fabrics, with botanicare pbp grow only.

Up-potted to 5 gal about 10 days ago. I haven’t seen any pests or insects of any kind until whatever this is.

Smithers

Smithers

I found 2 more shells this morning, nothing else to speak of after a thorough inspection. Pictures:

Anybody know what this is? Something is incubating in there, but there is only a single shell per fan leaf stem and they are rare on the plant. WTF?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
🤔 mmm, could it be something else that has fallen from above, like some sort of particle?
well if it is bug related someone here will reply.
can you post pictures of the whole plant at different angles.. because if insects/pest there will damage or stress etc on the plant..

Ignatz

Ignatz

I found 2 more shells this morning, nothing else to speak of after a thorough inspection. Pictures:
View attachment 1138633View attachment 1138629View attachment 1138634View attachment 1138632View attachment 1138631View attachment 1138630

Anybody know what this is? Something is incubating in there, but there is only a single shell per fan leaf stem and they are rare on the plant. WTF?
I believe that is "scale" which is an insect. It's early on, can't remember the procedure to get rid of it, but lemon oil, alcohol, possibly soap are the answers I think.

Smithers

Smithers

I believe that is "scale" which is an insect. It's early on, can't remember the procedure to get rid of it, but lemon oil, alcohol, possibly soap are the answers I think.
Thanks! I’ll look into treatment

Top Bottom