Help identifying mite

• Thread starter Seraphine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seraphine

Seraphine

Get my digital microscope today. I’ll fianlly be able to rule out certain mites and possible identity what these critters are.

Before I apply avid (which I really don’t want to), I’m going to stick to my organic processes. I called a really awesome store and spoke to someone very knowledgeable and that person recommended Grandevo WDG Bioinsectide. It’s is much more stable than PFR 22% and the grandevo doesn’t need refrigerated after use. Said they ship a lot to Oregon for mite control on cannabis crops and both products work great on russet, broad, cyclamen, two spotted spider mites and any sucking insect/mite. Best of all, they won’t develop resistance. Depending on environment, I’ll have to reapply after two weeks because the environmental conditions and insect pressure may not be favorable to keep the bacteria (grandevo) or fungus (PFR) living. Both like humid and warm but the grandevo is more forgiving. I would also like to use the extra (grandevo comes in the 6lb bag) on my small commercial farm.

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

I used Avid last night. I have to use something every 3 days.
Hopefully you can identify exactly what you are infested with when the computer scope comes. You will be surprised. You can detect every bite mark.
Good luck and wish you the best to rid yourself of these critters.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Hypoasis predatory mite.... ? Just a hunch
I’m hoping, I just don’t think I’m that lucky. It’s odd though, no plants around here appear to have broad mite damage. There are some ferns that are turning bronze in color; probably from too much sunlight but I am going to check those out too once my computer scope gets here.

Schnauzer

Schnauzer

I’m hoping, I just don’t think I’m that lucky. It’s odd though, no plants around here appear to have broad mite damage. There are some ferns that are turning bronze in color; probably from too much sunlight but I am going to check those out too once my computer scope gets here.
I had them several weeks ago and I automatically assume that they were spider mites and I killed about 18 plants through away all my soil . And then I came across several posts on line talking about predatory mites in store bought soil . I had them for approximately a month and I had a lot of them but I never saw any damage to my plants . They looked just like what you had. I think the most common spider mite is the one with the two black dots

Seraphine

Seraphine

When I went down to get a specimen to view, I couldn’t find anything on the leaves and I checked each plant. I used a a regular jewelers loupe first to try to find where the bugs were then I was going to view under the digital microscope. What I did find were a bunch of critters crawling on the fabric pots. I tried to collect a few on some leaves but was unsuccessful. I sprayed some green cleaner all over the fabric pots and be next day they were all dead. I’m going to check again tomorrow. I may end up cutting some of the fabric pot off to view under the digital lens.

They’re not root aphids.

I really don’t think they are broad mites but still not ruling it out.

Not two spotted spider mites.

Not cylamen mites but not ruling it out.

They could be bulb mites or possibly something that came in the compressed coco coir?

Seraphine

Seraphine

When I went down to get a specimen to view, I couldn’t find anything on the leaves and I checked each plant. I used a a regular jewelers loupe first to try to find where the bugs were then I was going to view under the digital microscope. What I did find were a bunch of critters crawling on the fabric pots. I tried to collect a few on some leaves but was unsuccessful. I sprayed some green cleaner all over the fabric pots and be next day they were all dead. I’m going to check again tomorrow. I may end up cutting some of the fabric pot off to view under the digital lens.

They’re not root aphids.

They could be bulb mites or possibly something that came in the compressed coco coir?
Here’s my veg tent. Those tiny white dots on the fabric pots in the last picture are all dead bugs. I would find a few crawling on the leaves, but not recently. I’ll get a close up with the digital microscope today or tomorrow

F4C939F3 EBC1 4754 8CF4 B40E175545B1
C7CD41DD A078 474F B8F0 44724DFC61A3
76997F31 E910 4583 B0CA 58EF82EB6BEC
Seraphine

Seraphine

My flower tent. They have some pesticide damage since I had to spray them each time with the lights on. I know, not smart but can’t spray in the evening because I’ve been outside surrounded by other plants and it was lights out time. They also had some critters on the fabric but not nearly as many in my veg tent. I think it has something to do with moisture. The coco in my veg pots stay wet longer.

589B530B 10AB 49D0 9C77 0960DFE17C46
Last edited:
SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

They’re not root aphids.

When you said you could see them crawling on the pots, makes me question if they were broad mites.
You could cut a slice in the bottom of your fabric pot and check for critters on or around the roots.
Broad mites are one of the worst insects to have in your garden, because of "stealth" in staying under the growers radar.
Hopefully, you'll know what it is soon and I'm proven wrong and jumped the gun.
I've been on Critter/"Broad Mite" patrol for the past few months.
I see the damn things in my sleep. lol

SouthernOhio

SouthernOhio

My flower tent. They have some pesticide damage since I had to spray them each time with the lights on each time. I know, not smart but can’t spray in the evening because I’ve been outside surrounded by other plants and it was lights out time. They also had some critters on the fabric but not nearly as many in my veg tent. I think it has something to do with moisture. The coco in my veg pots stay wet longer.
Those aren't broad mites. That is something else.

Seraphine

Seraphine

When you said you could see them crawling on the pots, makes me question if they were broad mites.
You could cut a slice in the bottom of your fabric pot and check for critters on or around the roots.
Broad mites are one of the worst insects to have in your garden, because of "stealth" in staying under the growers radar.
Hopefully, you'll know what it is soon and I'm proven wrong and jumped the gun.
I've been on Critter/"Broad Mite" patrol for the past few months.
I see the damn things in my sleep. lol
I might repot one of my veg plants into a plastic airpot so I can inspect the roots to rule out any root eating pest.

souf69

souf69

About three no pest strips from the depot or lowes will kill just about every bug you have for about a twenty spot total. Just don't use em in bloom at all.
Cheaper than all that crazy expensive shit and far more effective. My thought was bulbs but you state they are fast moving. Either way all will perish with no sprays or drenches.

Seraphine

Seraphine

About three no pest strips from the depot or lowes will kill just about every bug you have for about a twenty spot total. Just don't use em in bloom at all.
Cheaper than all that crazy expensive shit and far more effective. My thought was bulbs but you state they are fast moving. Either way all will perish with no sprays or drenches.
I haven’t ruled out bulb mites yet. Once I repot one of the plants and inspect the roots will I be able to rule out bulb mites. I’ll check out the no pest strips. Thanks for the recommendation!

Seraphine

Seraphine

The coco I buy is “organic” but processed overseas in India or Sri Lanka. Who knows how long it sits in piles. I wonder if it came in my coco. Soil mite? Bulb mite? Bulb mites have thick red legs are their body is more rounded like a turtle shell and how would it have gotten in my coco? I don’t have any bulbs that I would have come contact with that were infested with bulb mites.

They are pretty fast moving and the mites I had in a plastic baggy all day died so I had to get a new piece of fabric pot with some live ones. I think the dry kills them, that and green cleaner....

B

borntaskate

Did you even look at Hypoaspis! Look!

They def Look like Hypoaspis miles! Ive had them for years in rockwool and Coco. Don't waste your time trying to kill them. Do you have fungus gnats or feeding bennies? Thats what they're eating! PM me and ill send you a video of them from my own grows they look exactly the same and I've had them for years. All of my best runs have been with them. nothing to worry about.

I once spent so much time trying to kill them until i realized they were helping and not hurting. Don't waste your time or money! If you really want to kill them which i don't recommend use Botanigard WP for soil born mites.

Top Bottom