Help me plan menu for Mom's wedding.

• Thread starter Cort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cort

Cort

After negotiations round 1.
No pigglet

Some beef ( my beef wellington in the lead and I not happy about it as it is freeking labor intensive)
Some bird, smoked chickens fine *for now*

rest is "fine"

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I think the wench and I have decided to just hop a broom, after all of these years. We just do not jive with conventional Christian views. No offense, to anyone's religion, of course. (I welcome all walks of life) Are you trying to make this a business venture? lmfao Positive vibes...

~nugzz

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

Fuck you, I am watching my girlish figure. Salad is a must.

Besides, I got 3 weeks to drop enough lbs so I look all Jersey Shore so I can hook up with one of my cousins.
now thats a true redneck !

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just read that your mother nixed the pig. You're not the only one who's crushed. She has NO IDEA what she's missing/jipping others out of!
Mendel. Do you have any experiance putting a piglet on the rotisserie?

Say I brined it in sage, apple juice, rosemary, ginger, onion and garlic, what kind of time per lb am I looking at ?
I'm Puerto Rican, we do pigs on the rotisserie. It's called lechon, and there are stands all over the island called lechonerias where you see a pig (or, if it's a popular place, several pigs) being cooked on an open rotisserie. You can also get platanos maduros (ripe plantains, fried), tostones (green plantains, squashed into a cookie and fried), habichuelas (beans) con arroz (rice), blood sausage (I can't recall what it's called in Spanish), and the BEST PART--THE EARS AND SKIN!

You can make an open ground type of rotisserie or pig roasting place by setting up cinder blocks and some rebar.

How on earth are you going to brine a weanling pig, though? You'd need... what would you need? Do they make plastic bins large enough? We don't brine the pigs, they're slaughtered, gutted, boiling water to get the hair off (you've still gotta scrape it off), and then they're roasted. I'll have to ask my mom if my grandfather ever seasoned our pigs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cort, just reading the rest of your posts... I wish some of my chef/catering friends were active on this site, a few of them have some FANTASTIC recipes that are fairly easy to turn out. I'm sorry your mother crushed your cooking spirit. :(

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Want my recipe for Carnitas? It's definitely a crowd pleaser. Last year Sea and I hosted a "Post Planting Party" in June and I had everything served up under the sun, but everyone still talks about my carnitas tacos. And even better, it's very easy...
User233025 pic926911 1345482881

Cort

Cort

Hell yea, that looks great. Probably best for the night before though. I happen to be fine with a taco bar wedding but see next post for menu as of now.

I see the jalapenos, do you have recipe for the carrot & peppers stuff I get in the restaurants? the canned ones are always mushy and taste funny.

Cort

Cort

Wedding pushed back to early June to give time for a member to heal from upcoming surgery.

Menu for about 30 adults as of now :

5 whole smoked chickens + gravy
15+/- lbs of roast beef or prime rib (or ribeye roast) + au jus

potato bar:
Garlic smashed (skin on, lumpy and awesome) , baked and twice baked taters + fixings
Fixings - sour cream, butter, :eek: margarine, chives, bacon, horse radish, cheese

Veggies
20x corn on cob halves
3lb broccoli steamed, garlic herbed butter to dress
3lb Brussels sprouts with chopped apple, herb and butter to dress
3lb steamed carrots, butter and honey to dress (dont knock it till you have it)

Caesar and garden salad + toppings

Pasta salad - italian dressing, cold cuts, cheese, fresh veggies. NOT MAYO BASED.
a very summery light and fresh dish.

Bag of costco bulk dinner rolls

6x baguettes turned into my prosciutto / motzarella bread

4x regular garlic bread

Desert:

50-60 cream puffs + fresh fruit, caramel, blueberry reduction

4 lemon meringues: 2 isnt enough and its the same work to make 4 as 3.

burgers, hotdogs and tater tots for kids

For day time snacking

5 dozen eggs, deviled

chips, onion dip (liptons onion soup and sour cream)

veggie/coldcut plate - celery, carrots, broccoli, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, mini olive bar, cold cuts, cheese, cracker, onion dip, ranch, blue cheese... what else?

chopped seasonal melon

Fruit bowl

chips + salsa, bean dip and guacamole

My no named, to fancy for these folk appetizer. Good chevre, mixed with chopped peppadews then rolled with cold cuts. Cut to toothpick size

Still possible, depending on level of help I get :

Butternut squash soup
cookies
other stuff ?

Short cuts I will be taking:

Pre packaged and ready to use veggies
Costco bulk rolls
Premade pie crusts (unless I get a volunteer)
Pre pealed whole garlic cloves for some things
pre shreaded cheese for salad and tater bar
pre packaged garden salad
store bought salad dressings
store bought bread

Rest is from scratch. Many things will be made the day before, and be better for it.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Why did I come to this thread!? I am just salivating, now. The menu is definitely looking great! I would give my first born for a damn good burger, right about now... Positive vibes...

~nugzz

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Hell yea, that looks great. Probably best for the night before though. I happen to be fine with a taco bar wedding but see next post for menu as of now.

I see the jalapenos, do you have recipe for the carrot & peppers stuff I get in the restaurants? the canned ones are always mushy and taste funny.
The jalapenos you see are my own as well, so yes, I have the recipe for the escabeche (pickled jalapenos). Stay tuned, I'll dig them up and get them to you.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sweetheart, maybe you should share your pasta salad recipe as well, along with the Dijon-braised Brussels sprouts.

coloradochem

coloradochem

Looks great cort. One thing id add, is home made ice cream. Cant have a hillbillie meet up with out it, imo.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

nice work on the menu!!! i have 2 thoughts if thats ok.....

1 - i would personally pick one or the other for the potato. Self Serve Bar or Twice Baked. Both are a good amount of prep time for you, and people will be more than pleased with 1 or the other. I think if you did both alot of folks would opt for the twice-baked over the topping bar.

2 - maybe try a modern twisted pasta salad instead of the standard. people are all about asian salads right now.

good luck with everything!! id be super pumped to be served all that delicious food!

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
If she's on her 6th wedding I think ya better throw in Oyster's for a little help !

Cort

Cort

Sweetheart, maybe you should share your pasta salad recipe as well, along with the Dijon-braised Brussels sprouts.
No dijon brussels.
Fry a bit of bacon, add a touch of butter, deglaze with chicken stock and some thyme, add split brussels and braise that in the oven. Toss in some diced apple chunks when sprouts about 3/4 done. dress with a bit more herbed butter if needed

Pasta salad:
per 1 lb pasta cooked al dente. Cooked and cooled in running water. I like tricolor rotini
1 bottle (or a bit less, but it will soak in) good Italian dressing. I prefer Wishbone zesty
a few handfuls of cubed deli meats- ham, roast beef, turkey, chicken. What ever works with your meal.
a few handfuls of cheese- swiss, extra sharp cheddar, motz.... what ever
a handful or two of cubed hard salami
a good handful of freshly course grated Parm cheese. (keep your green can crap to yourself thanks)
a good handful of fresh parm slivers (reserve till just before serving)
2-3 handfuls large diced celery
equal amounts carrot, about same size
1 small/med handful small diced (not quite minced) shallot or sweet onion
good handful coarse chopped flat leaf parsley
usually needs no salt
pepper to taste.
Can add cherry tomato, sundried, or?? use imagination to pair with meal. This is a base, not an exact science. I dont use green olives, they are very over powering.
best made night before use for flavors to combine

Top Bottom