Help me please, seedlings yellowing.

• Thread starter Kendallj24
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kendallj24

Kendallj24

My seedlings are 2 weeks old today & I noticed the cotelydon leaves on one plant was getting more & more yellow by the day. I read this was normal they eventually die off. So today I noticed the true leaves getting yellow tips & the cotelydons were completely shriveled. So now I’m thinking this has been a nitrogen problem. But I’m growing in fox farm ocean forest and I know they should have plenty of nutes to last a while, I water them with distilled water and I ph it to around 6.3-6.7. Is it possible the soil has gotten to alkaline somehow and the plant can’t absorb the nutrients because the ph of the soil is off ? It’s weird because fox farm soil is already ph’ed to 6.3-6.8. So what can the problem be?

Imcamping861

Imcamping861

My seedlings are 2 weeks old today & I noticed the cotelydon leaves on one plant was getting more & more yellow by the day. I read this was normal they eventually die off. So today I noticed the true leaves getting yellow tips & the cotelydons were completely shriveled. So now I’m thinking this has been a nitrogen problem. But I’m growing in fox farm ocean forest and I know they should have plenty of nutes to last a while, I water them with distilled water and I ph it to around 6.3-6.7. Is it possible the soil has gotten to alkaline somehow and the plant can’t absorb the nutrients because the ph of the soil is off ? It’s weird because fox farm soil is already ph’ed to 6.3-6.8. So what can the problem be?
Water naturally has calcium and other various nutrients for your plant . Reverse osmosis does not ( distilled water ) Or atleast im fairly sure that’s what’s going on. Your plant is missing cal mag basically .

Kendallj24

Kendallj24

Water naturally has calcium and other various nutrients for your plant . Reverse osmosis does not ( distilled water ) Or atleast im fairly sure that’s what’s going on. Your plant is missing cal mag basically .
But shouldn’t the soil already have enough of everything major to last at least a month , I know they are not eating through all the nutrients that fast

Imcamping861

Imcamping861

But shouldn’t the soil already have enough of everything major to last at least a month , I know they are not eating through all the nutrients that fast
Post a pic man . Moe could be right, could be over water .

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A seedling doesn't need anything from you except proper conditions. They contain plenty of nutes all by themselves. Over feeding is the second most common problem.

Give us a look.

Kendallj24

Kendallj24

Tips started pointing up slightly this morning , but there is absolutely no way this is light burn , I’m using Mars hydro tsl 2000 & it’s hanging 28 inches above dimmed to 65% & my other plants aren’t showing symptoms , just slow growth. This is day 15 my other on my other 2 plants one is slightly bigger & the other is slightly smaller
A446A48D CDDD 4298 AFCA A42EB4760002
B8508355 AD88 4F73 8D9B B9EA41097779

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Those stems are a pretty purple. That might be OK if genetic or it could be a sign of stress. What strain are these? I'm assuming you have not moved these and they germinated in this soil, correct?

Temp (and RH) can definitely do this, are you perhaps really cold like the rest of the world right now? I see you are in a tent, do you have measurements of the environmental conditions? My gut tells me it looks cold in there, or maybe it was cold and is OK now as the new growth looks good.

These are totally going to recover nicely if you give them what they want and get out of the way. Don't stress, we'll figure this out.

BTW the cotyledons did their jobs, don't worry about them falling off.

Kendallj24

Kendallj24

Black widow from ILGM & I germinated by putting in water for 24 hours & then to paper towel & once tap root showed I place in soil, the lowest my temperature ever got was 68 & it’s between 72-81 now depending time of day . My humidity used to fluctuate from 30 to 85 but now I got it maintained at about 58-65. I do have a fan blowing the mist from my humidifier directly on the plants I wouldn’t think that would be a problem.
Do you think some seaweed extract & rapid start would help? Very very small doses?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'm not a soil grower myself primarily, I have only dabbled. There are lots of good dudes on here that are, I'll call them in for you if no one gets back on your specific point.

That said, I would not add nutes of any kind at this point. Focus on getting things stabilized and let the plant rebound a bit. Make sure you are getting good dry back between waterings, you need that lady to work to stretch out those roots looking for water. Starving them a little is actually healthy if you don't overdo it.

I run full hydro and my nutes are almost non-existent thru this point in growth and beyond. You actually already have nutes in the soil.

If I had to guess, I'd say these got a little cold early on, a little overwatered possibly, and with the humidity all over the place it really messes with respiration and water uptake. Control all those set points as best you can and these plants will grow big.

I've not grown Black Widow and could not quickly find anything about the purple, I'd just keep an eye on that and see if the new growth isn't green. That could also be an indication you are giving the plants what they want.

Kendallj24

Kendallj24

I'm not a soil grower myself primarily, I have only dabbled. There are lots of good dudes on here that are, I'll call them in for you if no one gets back on your specific point.

That said, I would not add nutes of any kind at this point. Focus on getting things stabilized and let the plant rebound a bit. Make sure you are getting good dry back between waterings, you need that lady to work to stretch out those roots looking for water. Starving them a little is actually healthy if you don't overdo it.

I run full hydro and my nutes are almost non-existent thru this point in growth and beyond. You actually already have nutes in the soil.

If I had to guess, I'd say these got a little cold early on, a little overwatered possibly, and with the humidity all over the place it really messes with respiration and water uptake. Control all those set points as best you can and these plants will grow big.

I've not grown Black Widow and could not quickly find anything about the purple, I'd just keep an eye on that and see if the new growth isn't green. That could also be an indication you are giving the plants what they want.
Ok thanks for your advice man I’ll give an update in the coming days

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

It's easy to screw up seedlings under led. Humidity too low and they soak up whatever calcium they can very fast, which first and foremost blocks out phosphorus and halts sugar transport to the roots. Long story short, the roots are stunted and cannot reach out to the surrounding calcium. You'll have very fine wispy roots develop but they won't travel far at this age. If you over water, all the available calcium is at the bottom where there is no oxugen. Now your plant goes from too much calcium to not enough, and the roots have already assimilated everything in their reach and put it in the foliage, with no gas left to expand roots.

Lots of new growers are going to give this hobby up real quick thanks to the lack of current knowledge and support. Calmag is falling out of fashion at the worst possible time. Scammers selling GG#4 and Skunk #1 seeds, Chinese selling bright led lights that have never actually been tested on a plant, no one is marketing capable automated/controllable humidifiers. VPD is very important under lights with such low levels of IR spectrum.

The plants I've bred under LED are much less finicky. It's going to be a while before all the seedbanks unload all their old random renamed crap to legal growers. Once everyone's breeding under leds, then I'm sure plasma lights will be all the rage, because why wouldn't the cycle continue..

growsince79

growsince79

It's easy to screw up seedlings under led. Humidity too low and they soak up whatever calcium they can very fast, which first and foremost blocks out phosphorus and halts sugar transport to the roots. Long story short, the roots are stunted and cannot reach out to the surrounding calcium. You'll have very fine wispy roots develop but they won't travel far at this age. If you over water, all the available calcium is at the bottom where there is no oxugen. Now your plant goes from too much calcium to not enough, and the roots have already assimilated everything in their reach and put it in the foliage, with no gas left to expand roots.

Lots of new growers are going to give this hobby up real quick thanks to the lack of current knowledge and support. Calmag is falling out of fashion at the worst possible time. Scammers selling GG#4 and Skunk #1 seeds, Chinese selling bright led lights that have never actually been tested on a plant, no one is marketing capable automated/controllable humidifiers. VPD is very important under lights with such low levels of IR spectrum.

The plants I've bred under LED are much less finicky. It's going to be a while before all the seedbanks unload all their old random renamed crap to legal growers. Once everyone's breeding under leds, then I'm sure plasma lights will be all the rage, because why wouldn't the cycle continue..
Agree 100%. IMO T5 or CFL is still the best light for seedlings, and it doesn't matter if they were bred under led or hps. Nothing else comes close.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I am using just a single "curly" lamp to 72-79 degrees for my three day old grow. 70% humidity in 3"jiffy pots w/pro-mix potting soil as a starter media, about 4 weeks into this I will transplant to 3 gal. material pots 70/30 coco/perlite.

20210218 103903
Imcamping861

Imcamping861

Distilled water will not take to the nutrients in the soil , you’re essentially flushing the nutrients out of the soil by using distilled water . Nutrients like nitrogen , potassium and phosphorus will be available in parts , but other minerals and such like calcium , magnesium and others will not . Ditch the distilled water .

Kendallj24

Kendallj24

Distilled water will not take to the nutrients in the soil , you’re essentially flushing the nutrients out of the soil by using distilled water . Nutrients like nitrogen , potassium and phosphorus will be available in parts , but other minerals and such like calcium , magnesium and others will not . Ditch the distilled water .
So I was thinking to just use my tap water & of course let it sit out at least 24 hours to get the chlorine out ?

Imcamping861

Imcamping861

So I was thinking to just use my tap water & of course let it sit out at least 24 hours to get the chlorine out ?

Exactly what you should do . I use tap water . I let sit for a day or two . I ph it to a 6.3 -6.4 AFTER . adding my fox farm trio nutrients , cal mag . I use fox farm ocean soil. I love it . Loaded with nutes , just add water for a bout a month . After that add nutes . I don’t get why it catches so much flak . Super user friendly .

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Don’t know if this helps, probably more salt on a wound then necessary, but I’ve grown Black Widow indoors and out and both venues the ladies were a real PITA, so finicky!

Top Bottom