Help me prune my Mothibhen

• Thread starter Xhale
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Xhale

Xhale

Hi my friends

it’s been a long time since I posted here. You helped me with my first great grow back in ‘18 when the South African constitutional court ruled that police cannot stop us from growing canna for private use. Our politicians have not yet finalized the policies but we’re still growing strong 💪🏽 My first grow was probably Jack Herer that I called Mothibhen (big sister). And I’ve had a wonderful crop of mothibhen every year including this year :)

I need your advice about trimming the fan leaves around the heads. There are 2 videos showing how I pruned 2of my plants. I planted them on 1 September (our spring day) and started the Lollipop in late December then got aggressive towards the end of Jan until mid February.
The current challenge:
I know that indoor growers cut out the high fan leaves because they block the weak light and prevent airflow. I am outdoors with the great African sun. Should I cut the top fan leaves now? How much should I trim?

Thanks 🙏🏽

Last edited:
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

View attachment 1222410

Hi my friends

it’s been a long time since I posted here. You helped me with my first great grow back in ‘18 when the South African constitutional court ruled that police cannot stop us from growing canna for private use. Our politicians have not yet finalized the policies but we’re still growing strong 💪🏽 My first grow was probably Jack Herer that I called Mothibhen (big sister). And I’ve had a wonderful crop of mothibhen every year including this year :)

I need your advice about trimming the fan leaves around the heads. There are 2 videos showing how I pruned 2of my plants. I planted them on 1 September (our spring day) and started the Lollipop in late December then got aggressive towards the end of Jan until mid February.
The current challenge:
I know that indoor growers cut out the high fan leaves because they block the weak light and prevent airflow. I am outdoors with the great African sun. Should I cut the top fan leaves now? How much should I trim?

Thanks 🙏🏽
When I grow outdoors I usually do very little trimming on the plants. The sun has great penetration. I will top just to keep height down as to not bring attention to them outside. And some real low growth I’ll trim a little but that’s it.

Xhale

Xhale

Hi. Here's an update 3 weeks after my original post. I did not trouble these ladies with any pruning as recommended by @SofaKingHigh.

Plant 1: MothiBhen (big sister) = probably Jack Herer. although she also looks like Durban Poison.

Plant 2: Evil Ghala = possibly Sour Diesel.

Plant 3: Mothbhen.

This is the biggest head in my farm: 50cm and growing. She's plant 1

56BC2385 B337 45CA B90D 7242BC4EA344
A550C84D 1468 418E 98CA 61875EC0D7F7

this is one of the fattest heads on plant 2 (EG)...I've got big hands:)

BE98D5B2 4CE1 4F4B 90A7 E2387911076E

Last edited:
TSD

TSD

Like I said on your other thread, I like to keep a full bush 🤣
20210924 144447

You can't tell from that pic, but the inside of my forest is pruned nicely to allow for airflow, while still keeping all my healthy leaves catching sun, photosynthesising, and sweating when they're hot.
20210929 082238

Night pics make it clear where the buds are, plenty of them despite a shit ton of leaves.
20211011 222512
20211011 222544

Here we are are a week or so from harvest, my big maple is always the first to show her colors in fall.
20211012 132056

Just started my seeds for this year, can't wait to play in my garden!

20211005 151446
FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

@Xhale you can do selective defoliation if you like, for sure. Sun grown it's not necessary, but one prunes vegetable plants, so I do not see where it would hurt.

@TSD love the marigolds planted in there to keep the bugs at bay

TSD

TSD

@FuriousStyles thanks🙂 I try to keep it as free from bad stuff as possible, I guess technically not organic, because I do use nutrients, but they are organic in nature... hybrid growing if you want to be technical... I don't use any chemicals and I make my own soil, use Dutch Science nutes starting last year and the ladies love it. I plant all kinds of stuff to deter the critters, marigolds, nasturtium, lavender, Rosemary, thyme, various mints, and I buy a fresh batch of nematodes every spring. Bud rot and powdery mildew are my biggest issues, last year I found fat free milk does wonders to kill PM... occasionally aphids set up shop but they're pretty easy to manage if you catch them right away. Hoping the Texada Time Warp lives up to it's mold resistant claims... assuming the seeds ever pop. C'mon spring!

Latest posts

Top Bottom