Help me save my first hydro grow :(

• Thread starter highguy777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I havnt been growing but 6 months now lol, so I can't really explain the nutrients or npk very well. All I know, is you wont find many grow diaries with it. I would suggest using weed specific nutrients. But again, your new bud sites look good.

So I think u just caused light burn, like severe. Then when u backed it off its all fine now. I imagine that was your only problem. Your new growth does not show any deficiencies so I think u will be good. Prolly gonna turn out yielding like a soil grow instead of hydro lol.. But live and learn.

Make sure to send us pictures after defoliating all the bad.. I imagine it will look quite normal after that.

highguy777

highguy777

I havnt been growing but 6 months now lol, so I can't really explain the nutrients or npk very well. All I know, is you wont find many grow diaries with it. I would suggest using weed specific nutrients. But again, your new bud sites look good.

So I think u just caused light burn, like severe. Then when u backed it off its all fine now. I imagine that was your only problem. Your new growth does not show any deficiencies so I think u will be good. Prolly gonna turn out yielding like a soil grow instead of hydro lol.. But live and learn.

Make sure to send us pictures after defoliating all the bad.. I imagine it will look quite normal after that.
i appreciate your positive energy LOL. truuuuuu, i was recommended it here by a few ppl when I initially made a post on here the first time, the foliage pro is weed specific vs their dynagro foliage is for veggies mostly. as i understand though i could be wrong lol.

yeah i believe i did really light burn it badly, i did not expect how fast the hydro plants would grow, and when i switched them to my flower tent they were so close to the lights, and my lights were 50% strength on , so yea that hurt :c ill take any yield thats smokeable lol im just happy the roots are okay and whatnot for the water temps

I shall defol today and take some photos!! going to take off those fried fan leaves, but most of the bud leaves seem ok. yeah should look okay after .

my 1000ppm seem ok? its lower than what is suggested on the feed chart so idk. dont want to nute burn them but they looked starved at 800ish.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

i appreciate your positive energy LOL. truuuuuu, i was recommended it here by a few ppl when I initially made a post on here the first time, the foliage pro is weed specific vs their dynagro foliage is for veggies mostly. as i understand though i could be wrong lol.

yeah i believe i did really light burn it badly, i did not expect how fast the hydro plants would grow, and when i switched them to my flower tent they were so close to the lights, and my lights were 50% strength on , so yea that hurt :c ill take any yield thats smokeable lol im just happy the roots are okay and whatnot for the water temps

I shall defol today and take some photos!! going to take off those fried fan leaves, but most of the bud leaves seem ok. yeah should look okay after .

my 1000ppm seem ok? its lower than what is suggested on the feed chart so idk. dont want to nute burn them but they looked starved at 800ish.
Your plant will tell you if your feeding it enough.

If your ppms slowly climb, your over feeding it... Which causes nothing but problems. Underfeeding in hydro seems hard to do.

So if ur ppm lowers by about 5% in 12hrs ur great. If it increases by 5% in 12hrs ur going to have problems.

Again, I don't know much about different nutrients, you just educated me.

As for ur water temps, as long as you eliminated light leaks and use hydroguard u will be fine. My seedlings grew just fine in 76f lol.

highguy777

highguy777

If your ppms slowly climb, your over feeding it... Which causes nothing but problems. Underfeeding in hydro seems hard to do.

So if ur ppm lowers by about 5% in 12hrs ur great. If it increases by 5% in 12hrs ur going to have problems.

As for ur water temps, as long as you eliminated light leaks and use hydroguard u will be fine. My seedlings grew just fine in 76f lol.
I think it increased slightly.. :c ok. should I add ro water to kinda dilute when it raises?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Lower your total ppms. Since u said they are raising and your at 1000ppm, I'd drop it down to 600ppm by diluting...

If u don't have room for that much ro.. Dump some of your nutrient mix first. Like a gallon or so.. Idk ur system capacity so yea..

You will get faster growth by doing this I assure you.

stltoed

stltoed

Looks like somebody doubled up on the nitrogen and burned the plant but good. Dump the tanks. blow out the lines and start from scratch. Plant's in flower give it minimal nitrogen and bump up the phosphorus to finish it up. Defoliate clean it up and see what happens.
It sure does.
Be sure to I clue the Nitro in all the nutrients, especially calmag

I just checked out Foliage Pro...
Dude, Foliage Pro has a Nitrogen level of 9 (9-5-6). It should be much lower in bloom maybe 1 or 2... maybe. I would bet major cash your plants are severely Nitrogen toxic.

Next time, a simple bloom base nutrient would be a better choice. GH Flora series for instance. Foliage Pro may rock as a veg nute, but its poison in flower... sorry man.

I've had Nitro toxicity a few times. Even a light case is hard to get rid of sometimes, and considering you have time limitations it doesn't help your buds. The only thing that can be done is flush with nothing but calcium in Clea pHed water. Good luck.

Oh and your roots are beautiful!

Last edited:
stltoed

stltoed

If your only 3rd week of flower it might be worth your while to fix it.

Flush with fresh water RO if you use it with calmag, (simply because you don't want a calcium issue right now) and Fulvic acid if you have access to hydrostatic. Fulpower is the goods. This flush could last 4 or 5 days... I dont have a specific length of time. Just watch the plants, when they start moving again feed them.

The only other recommendation I have is to dump Pro-Tact, and use a mono-silicic acid Silica, Power Si, for instance, but that has nothing to do with your present issues

I would probably let the leaves fall off naturally if you were farther along, half a leaf is better than none, but since your leaves can still come back, you still have time... pulling them shouldn't be an issue.

highguy777

highguy777

Some defol pics :( looking a little more normal but still sad

C5DF3162 A91A 48AD B716 75B510C04283
A0D5A519 327A 45EB 86D4 C57BECA0B94F
highguy777

highguy777

It sure does.
Be sure to I clue the Nitro in all the nutrients, especially calmag

I just checked out Foliage Pro...
Dude, Foliage Pro has a Nitrogen level of 9 (9-5-6). It should be much lower in bloom maybe 1 or 2... maybe. I would bet major cash your plants are severely Nitrogen toxic.

Next time, a simple bloom base nutrient would be a better choice. GH Flora series for instance. Foliage Pro may rock as a veg nute, but its poison in flower... sorry man.

I've had Nitro toxicity a few times. Even a light case is hard to get rid of sometimes, and considering you have time limitations it doesn't help your buds. The only thing that can be done is flush with nothing but calcium in Clea pHed water. Good luck.

Oh and your roots are beautiful!
Iā€™m so confuuuuused sometimes , I was recommended it by a moderator on here because they use it start to finish in their hydro grows, but itā€™s so mixed everywhere I read. so if I use foliage pro for veg, then switch to another nutrient in flower wouldnā€™t I get the issue someone else previously mentioned of the roots being used to one nutrient then shocking it by switching?

stltoed

stltoed

Iā€™m so confuuuuused sometimes , I was recommended it by a moderator on here because they use it start to finish in their hydro grows, but itā€™s so mixed everywhere I read. so if I use foliage pro for veg, then switch to another nutrient in flower wouldnā€™t I get the issue someone else previously mentioned of the roots being used to one nutrient then shocking it by switching?
Honestly, it's all I can do to keep from laughing my ass off. NOT AT YOU... the plant doesn't recognize brands, or different styles of nutrients. They only recognize N P and K. You don't want to go from 500 PPMs to 1300. That takes a little time, but you don't need to creep up on nutrients if you make a slight change like we are talking. As for a moderator giving advise to groms about using a nutrient with an N of 9 in flower that's a real shame, but an excellent teaching moment. Not that it matters,, but my veg nutrient is 2-1-6.

highguy777

highguy777

Honestly, it's all I can do to keep from laughing my ass off. NOT AT YOU... the plant doesn't recognize brands, or different styles of nutrients. They only recognize N P and K. You don't want to go from 500 PPMs to 1300. That takes a little time, but you don't need to creep up on nutrients if you make a slight change like we are talking. As for a moderator giving advise to groms about using a nutrient with an N of 9 in flower that's a real shame, but an excellent teaching moment. Not that it matters,, but my veg nutrient is 2-1-6.
im referring to on the first page someone said "Im guessing you went from a veg blend strait to a grow blend too. So your roots were structured for your old feed, and then you shocked them with your new system." as in switching to a completely different mix in a day.

so what flower nutrent would i use for just flowering?
i am beyond confused on what to take for advice because for months I had been learning from a mod on here in private messages, but now apparently everything theyve been teaching me is completely wrong? lol.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Why does Flora Trio recommend using transition blend when switching from veg blend to flower blend? It doesnt say to go strait from veg to flower, it says to transition. Would that not be a huge difference in NPK? Wouldnt it shock a bit? I dont know, you need to tell me lol

stltoed

stltoed

Why does Flora Trio recommend using transition blend when switching from veg blend to flower blend? It doesnt say to go strait from veg to flower, it says to transition. Would that not be a huge difference in NPK? Wouldnt it shock a bit? I dont know, you need to tell me lol
I've used the Flora series for 5 years. I usually just drop the Nitrogen (Grow) down and pick the P and K up a bit. The "bit" does get higher over time, but its isn't because of any transition period from veg. it's because the plant can finally use more. I haven't looked a a feed chart in a very long time, but I did today. Theres no transition period between veg and bloom according to GH's own chart. The only difference is the Grow component goes down a bit. And the P and K (Bloom) component comes up a bit. The change doesn't affect the plant because the change isn't that great. It isn't a huge change in NPK,

A nutrient change shouldn't be THAT big of a deal. But using a nutrient with so much Nitrogen is gonna be a problem in flower, as we see. But let's not get confused here. The problem isn't the transition its the fact that WAY too much Nitro is being used. The plant changes hormonally and physically during the stretch period. Nitro is now a detriment to the plant because the plant is needing other elements.

If the Flora series is being used and it makes you more comfortable to slowly change the mixture because you think the plant will have a heart attack, then don't mind me. But stop adding Nitrogen. Your Calmag probably has enough Nitro for the whole season... look at the Lucas method.

stltoed

stltoed

im referring to on the first page someone said "Im guessing you went from a veg blend strait to a grow blend too. So your roots were structured for your old feed, and then you shocked them with your new system." as in switching to a completely different mix in a day.

so what flower nutrent would i use for just flowering?
i am beyond confused on what to take for advice because for months I had been learning from a mod on here in private messages, but now apparently everything theyve been teaching me is completely wrong? lol.

Dont think of the veg. nutrients and bloom nutrients as seperate entities. They are all the same thing wrapped in a pretty bottle. It's just NPK with trance elements needed to aid the big three and keep the mix stable (this is way over simplified). A plant only needs 17 elements to grow successfully. All you need to do is bring them to the party at the right amount, at the right time.

You bring up the Trio in the next post. They are a wildly successfully blend that has been around for almost 50 years. I use it because of this lineage, and I guess I sort of "grew up" with it. But I don't look at it as a descrete veg schedule and a bloom schedule. There ARE transitions, in feeding, but they happen throughout the life of the plant with minimal impact.

I can't speak for someone who would advise another to use so much Nitrogen in bloom. Maybe he's a soil guy? I don't know. I will say that anyone can be a Mod though. I'm sorry you were given this advise, but this hobby is rife with heart ache. It's ALL one big learning experience. The take away may be that reading Jose Cervantes' Encyclopedia is in order. It doesn't go far into hydro, but its a fairly well rounded book on pot farming. Books from well renowned authors is never a bad idea. Although I don't like the book by Rosenthal used by Oaksterdam as a textbook. The internet is great, but full of misinfo. You need to learn how to pick through the bullshit, unfortunately that will take some time.

Let's say your using the Flora Trio. Start with the minimum dose... its pretty safe. Use a good Calmag that isn't above 2 in Nitro (first number in the NPK) or find a Nitro free version. Grow More has one. Use a water innoculant, like Z7 or Hydroguard (this is super important especially if your water temp ever goes above 73). Dont exceed 800 PPMs in veg., and don't go over 1200 in bloom.. And just go one season with it... get your feet wet. Get a successful hydro grow under your belt and then try some additives like monosilicic acid, Fulvic acid, Rapidstart, maybe a PK booster, etc. Don't use a ton of additives. Keep your meter(s) calibrated. Watch your water temp. You don't nessisarily need a chiller, I can show you how to cool water by 10 degrees with a fan.

I'm sorry you are having issues, but it does get easier. Wait till you get a bad case of root rot, or some other nastiness. That's when the learning really starts. Cheers!

highguy777

highguy777

Dont think of the veg. nutrients and bloom nutrients as seperate entities. They are all the same thing wrapped in a pretty bottle. It's just NPK with trance elements needed to aid the big three and keep the mix stable (this is way over simplified). A plant only needs 17 elements to grow successfully. All you need to do is bring them to the party at the right amount, at the right time.

You bring up the Trio in the next post. They are a wildly successfully blend that has been around for almost 50 years. I use it because of this lineage, and I guess I sort of "grew up" with it. But I don't look at it as a descrete veg schedule and a bloom schedule. There ARE transitions, in feeding, but they happen throughout the life of the plant with minimal impact.

I can't speak for someone who would advise another to use so much Nitrogen in bloom. Maybe he's a soil guy? I don't know. I will say that anyone can be a Mod though. I'm sorry you were given this advise, but this hobby is rife with heart ache. It's ALL one big learning experience. The take away may be that reading Jose Cervantes' Encyclopedia is in order. It doesn't go far into hydro, but its a fairly well rounded book on pot farming. Books from well renowned authors is never a bad idea. Although I don't like the book by Rosenthal used by Oaksterdam as a textbook. The internet is great, but full of misinfo. You need to learn how to pick through the bullshit, unfortunately that will take some time.

Let's say your using the Flora Trio. Start with the minimum dose... its pretty safe. Use a good Calmag that isn't above 2 in Nitro (first number in the NPK) or find a Nitro free version. Grow More has one. Use a water innoculant, like Z7 or Hydroguard (this is super important especially if your water temp ever goes above 73). Dont exceed 800 PPMs in veg., and don't go over 1200 in bloom.. And just go one season with it... get your feet wet. Get a successful hydro grow under your belt and then try some additives like monosilicic acid, Fulvic acid, Rapidstart, maybe a PK booster, etc. Don't use a ton of additives. Keep your meter(s) calibrated. Watch your water temp. You don't nessisarily need a chiller, I can show you how to cool water by 10 degrees with a fan.

I'm sorry you are having issues, but it does get easier. Wait till you get a bad case of root rot, or some other nastiness. That's when the learning really starts. Cheers!
._. this is all just learning experiences to me
would I be better off just going with foliage pro for veg only and then maybe gh bloom for flower?
trying to get this one to be a successful grow LOL

stltoed

stltoed

._. this is all just learning experiences to me
would I be better off just going with foliage pro for veg only and then maybe gh bloom for flower?
trying to get this one to be a successful grow LOL
That would probably work just fine. You may find through experience that you need a Nitro biased nutrient, but probably not. If you do just add 10% of the recommended dose of Foliage Pro.

I started out this season thinking I'd like to grow at least 1 2 pound plant. So I got all set up and broke a branch off of each one of my plants... shit. So I've had to restructure my goals on this one haha! But this is growing. Seeing it through and giving your plants the best possible chance. Chin up man... theres always next time! But see this one through. You may not end up with buckets of bud, but it may be the best you've ever had... theres still time to turn this into a win.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Firstly, I'm likely the guy he's referring to since I'm the only former moderator who uses foliage pro all the way through flower.

however he also didn't mention that I also use potassium silicate to bump up the K and in flower my nutrient solution is about 70% foliage pro, 28% bloom and 2% potassium silicate. This brings the ratio closer to 2-1-2 and for late flower I aim for closer to 2-2-4 or 2-3-5 in that range. BUT, i have also used foliage pro and potassium silicate on their own for a full cycle with excellent results, and I know a lot of others who have too. But you need to add an additional source of K to balance it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That said, those plants are suffering from a lot more than just too much N, they're fried from being driven way too hard with too much light and food overall. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom