Help my plants are tacoing on the edges..

• Thread starter sierra_indoors
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's water preservation.

This can mean it's too hot, like just some bud leaf doing in under hot lighting.
This can mean it's too dry, like low RH.
This can mean the plants need watering more often.
It can mean too much airflow.
Combinations of the above are most likely.

Here we saw some very sparse grow space. All of the leaves were droopy, and some curling. Each leaf was just out there in the breeze. The plants have not bushed up to make there own humidity bubble. Or filled the room. They are just stood alone in a breezy low RH environment. Unable to do much other than retain what they have. Which means closed stomata reducing co2 intake. A stalled crop.

More RH has already been identified and should see the crop take off soon. Once each plant fills it's space, the RH can be lowered a bit again. For now, keep it up, and switch off any air circulation fans.
It's not closed stomata or water preservation. The leaves would droop downward not curl up.

I do agree with your remedy except turning off circulation fans. I would leave them on and make sure there is no DIRECT air flow.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Let me explain why I said heat.

Air temps don't matter and heat and light stress almost always go together. The tacoing is one way a plant will react to reduce light capture and excess light the plant will try to reduce by actually transforming so of it to heat.

So the leaf temps rise both from IR produced from the light source and excess light being transformed to heat. Ideally we want LEAF (not air) temls to be around 75-77F for highest photosynthetic rates.

Now wind can contribute to the crispy edges if the plants cannot pull enough water from the rootzone to meet the needs of what's being pulled out of the leaves.

Now let's not forget that as plants transpire there is evaporation from the leaves and that in turn cools the leaves but to much can lead to extreme water stress and the plants closing thier stomata.

When plants exhibit signs of water stress it's always in 1 oF 2 ways depending on the cause.

The edges dry and get crispy, this is usually seen as wind burn or heat.

Or in extremes the entire leaf drops as the plant closes stomata to preserve water or there is a root zone issue with uptake such as over or under watering.

I prob missed some info but that a short rundown

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You 'liked' the video of his droopy plants.
If you don't agree it's water preservation, I presume you have another explanation?
I'm not sure why you are agreeing with lowering air circulation, if you think the problem is heat.

There are some nutrient problems that can cause margins to roll, but the saggy plants show it was RH.
See above they aren't drooping... they are tacoing

Noobster

Noobster

It's not closed stomata or water preservation. The leaves would droop downward not curl up.

I do agree with your remedy except turning off circulation fans. I would leave them on and make sure there is no DIRECT air flow.
It's water preservation.

This can mean it's too hot, like just some bud leaf doing in under hot lighting.
This can mean it's too dry, like low RH.
This can mean the plants need watering more often.
It can mean too much airflow.
Combinations of the above are most likely.

Here we saw some very sparse grow space. All of the leaves were droopy, and some curling. Each leaf was just out there in the breeze. The plants have not bushed up to make there own humidity bubble. Or filled the room. They are just stood alone in a breezy low RH environment. Unable to do much other than retain what they have. Which means closed stomata reducing co2 intake. A stalled crop.

More RH has already been identified and should see the crop take off soon. Once each plant fills it's space, the RH can be lowered a bit again. For now, keep it up, and switch off any air circulation fans.
Auqua
There is no tocoing. Are we on different threads. There are droopy sparce plants with rolling edges.
Aquaman isn't the dude to argue with. He's been spot on. He is chalk full of plant knowledge. Personally think he should get paid for helping so many and thanks for your help.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Auqua

Aquaman isn't the dude to argue with. He's been spot on. He is chalk full of plant knowledge. Personally think he should get paid for helping so many and thanks for your help.
When you love something it's not about the pay... its about sharing a common love for an amazing plant.

I appreciate debate... its not arguing. I have been wrong many times and will be many more. It's about discussions that heml not only the community but myself learn.

Noobster

Noobster

The plant was able to take the wind until I turned the heater towards the plant by accident. Which caused what you see. That why only the one plant was effected. Others are fine. I don't know if the leaves will straighten out or stay that way but it's top leaves are growing again. 9hrs of 70F and 70 % H and seems to have started to bounce back. Should I skip every other watering too?

Noobster

Noobster

This is getting messy.
Some guy called sierra indoors started the thread about plants with rolling margins, which is water retention. He raised the RH and now it's fixed. That wraps it up for me.

Along the way noobster steps in with a first post like he is the OP, but he has one plant doing it because he put his fan heater on it. I can see it's quite confusing who is talking to who, so to be clear, I have been talking about the OP's pics, as I indicated I was.

Yes, Aqua Man is good. He's not unapproachable though. What sort of sheeple comment is that. It's frankly quite rude to someone capable of thinking for themselves. I'm going to need a cup of tea now
Approachble, he is. Aquaman has been infallible in his assessment thus farback as I was able to find. Your comment wasn't as accurate as it was intended but I didn't mean it to come off as rude, if that's how you took it. Apologies, mate. Everyone'sb entitled to come in. Just stuck me funny that you haven't ran into him and was letting you know, the 🐐 , Aquaman, has spoken 🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is getting messy.
Some guy called sierra indoors started the thread about plants with rolling margins, which is water retention. He raised the RH and now it's fixed. That wraps it up for me.

Along the way noobster steps in with a first post like he is the OP, but he has one plant doing it because he put his fan heater on it. I can see it's quite confusing who is talking to who, so to be clear, I have been talking about the OP's pics, as I indicated I was.

Yes, Aqua Man is good. He's not unapproachable though. What sort of sheeple comment is that. It's frankly quite rude to someone capable of thinking for themselves. I'm going to need a cup of tea now
I agree with you 100% man I'm human and make my share of mistakes and advice. Nobody is untouchable just look back at some of the old grow bibles and the master growers retractin and correcting info in the later versions.

By no means am I comparing myself to those authorities.

This is about community, I post a lot and like to think I have a good grasp on most of the issues we see. But I'm definitely no authority and collectively we almost always manage to help growers in need. It's all about community.

Now with that said I will always try to give my reasons and defend my position to the fullest if I feel I'm right. But I hope ppl don't take anything personal because debate imo is one of the most crucial things in learning. People giving there reasons and making thier points for a position is what brings out the deeper info to help us all truly understand the subject at hand.

I will say though there is no one fits all diagnosis for plants just to many variables and what maybe the cause for what looks like an identical issue may not be the cause for another grower.

So it's a kinda go down the line on info to see where the root cause is kinda thing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is getting messy.

But I disagree on the edges being water retention. They are dry and crispy not full of moisture. That usually means the water is being pulled from the leaf faster than the plant can handle. And since it's so localized to the edges that's usually heat or wind with low humidity being a contributing or exasperating factor. Many growers struggle with low humidity and don't experience those symptoms. They can handle the low humidity if heat and wind aren't to much

Txconnection405

Txconnection405

Started noticing some curling on my plants the other day. Room temp is 76 RH is between 40-55 running under double ended. Is this a humidity issue? When they were smaller I had a issue with lower humidity and the leaves kinda showed the same symptoms.
Res is at 65 700ppm 5.8ph feeding floraflex slf100 greatwhite and floralicous plus. Roots look amazing
Classic sign of russet/broad mites, I'd scope for them or eggs. Do it in case they're there so you can get on top of it asap.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Classic sign of russet/broad mites, I'd scope for them or eggs. Do it in case they're there so you can get on top of it asap.
It's possible but usually russet you will see the leaves curl completely (like a rolled paper) starting at the inner part where the leaves meet the petiole.

It's a possibility but not typical from what I see. Never a bad thing to make sure though.

Txconnection405

Txconnection405

It's possible but usually russet you will see the leaves curl completely (like a rolled paper) starting at the inner part where the leaves meet the petiole.

It's a possibility but not typical from what I see. Never a bad thing to make sure though.
When they very first start that's exactly how mine looked or when i knocked them back real good but not completely that started up again.

Noobster

Noobster

I agree with you 100% man I'm human and make my share of mistakes and advice. Nobody is untouchable just look back at some of the old grow bibles and the master growers retractin and correcting info in the later versions.

By no means am I comparing myself to those authorities.

This is about community, I post a lot and like to think I have a good grasp on most of the issues we see. But I'm definitely no authority and collectively we almost always manage to help growers in need. It's all about community.

Now with that said I will always try to give my reasons and defend my position to the fullest if I feel I'm right. But I hope ppl don't take anything personal because debate imo is one of the most crucial things in learning. People giving there reasons and making thier points for a position is what brings out the deeper info to help us all truly understand the subject at hand.

I will say though there is no one fits all diagnosis for plants just to many variables and what maybe the cause for what looks like an identical issue may not be the cause for another grower.

So it's a kinda go down the line on info to see where the root cause is kinda thing.
@Aqua Man , goat huh? That's a downgrade from Royalty, I wouldn't stand for it. 😂 😎
We are not worthy ( Wayne's world )

Top Bottom