Help! Need to edit that post. Forgot to mention there’s a 300w led light in the tent, mounted about 16” above the pots.

• Thread starter Louie1465
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Louie1465

Help! 1st-time grower. Got some feminized seeds from Santa. Put up a grow tent in basement office in Ohio. Installed Vivosun exhaust fan and carbon filter up high, venting out of a 3” pvc pipe. Digital fan speed controller installed, to slow down the fan when I saw that the humidity was staying below 33%. Temperature was high-60’s so put a small space heater to blow at the 3” pvc pipe inlet. Temp now stays mid to high 70’s. One plant indica one sativa. Both seeds germinated in 3 days, transplanted into 4” plastic pots with 5 holes in bottom. Only potting soil left at Home Depot was a potting soil that appears to be amended at least somewhat, no indication that it contained any Miracle Gro. It’s quite fluffy.
From all the websites, I’m paranoid about over watering, so for the first few days I just sprayed the plants and the soul next to them with a sprayer. Our tap water pH is way too high, so have been using distilled water. Could not keep the RH above 31% or so, so I got a very small oscillating fan andput it in the tent. Now RH varies but can keep it in the 50-70% range.
But after about 10 days in the tent, the indica plant is only about 3/4” tall, the cotyledons have yellowed and died, there’s only one real leaf and the whole plant is barely hanging on.
The sativa plant is doing better, it’s about an inch high, several new leaves growing. I’ve only given the plants an ounce or so of water right close to the stem, about every other day. Soil feels very dry at all levels, nothing draining out the bottom. Talked to a couple other growers, sent pics, they thought it was underwatered. But - one sativa (otherwise healthy) leaf started drooping. Website said this means overwatered, but everyone said it was thirsty so I gave each plant a couple ounces of water right around the stems. Within an hour, the drooping leaf curled up and drooped almost to the soil. Checked the water pH, hard to read the colors will get another test kit (irony is that, while 67 and retired now, my career was spent in water treatment and I used to have several pH test kits but threw them out upon retirement). But the pH appeared to be low6’s.
Any suggestions? This definitely does not seem like it should be this hard to do!!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Help! 1st-time grower. Got some feminized seeds from Santa. Put up a grow tent in basement office in Ohio. Installed Vivosun exhaust fan and carbon filter up high, venting out of a 3” pvc pipe. Digital fan speed controller installed, to slow down the fan when I saw that the humidity was staying below 33%. Temperature was high-60’s so put a small space heater to blow at the 3” pvc pipe inlet. Temp now stays mid to high 70’s. One plant indica one sativa. Both seeds germinated in 3 days, transplanted into 4” plastic pots with 5 holes in bottom. Only potting soil left at Home Depot was a potting soil that appears to be amended at least somewhat, no indication that it contained any Miracle Gro. It’s quite fluffy.
From all the websites, I’m paranoid about over watering, so for the first few days I just sprayed the plants and the soul next to them with a sprayer. Our tap water pH is way too high, so have been using distilled water. Could not keep the RH above 31% or so, so I got a very small oscillating fan andput it in the tent. Now RH varies but can keep it in the 50-70% range.
But after about 10 days in the tent, the indica plant is only about 3/4” tall, the cotyledons have yellowed and died, there’s only one real leaf and the whole plant is barely hanging on.
The sativa plant is doing better, it’s about an inch high, several new leaves growing. I’ve only given the plants an ounce or so of water right close to the stem, about every other day. Soil feels very dry at all levels, nothing draining out the bottom. Talked to a couple other growers, sent pics, they thought it was underwatered. But - one sativa (otherwise healthy) leaf started drooping. Website said this means overwatered, but everyone said it was thirsty so I gave each plant a couple ounces of water right around the stems. Within an hour, the drooping leaf curled up and drooped almost to the soil. Checked the water pH, hard to read the colors will get another test kit (irony is that, while 67 and retired now, my career was spent in water treatment and I used to have several pH test kits but threw them out upon retirement). But the pH appeared to be low6’s.
Any suggestions? This definitely does not seem like it should be this hard to do!!
Don't go nuts, worrying about overwatering. This is how it works:

1. Water thoroughly, getting all soil in the pot wet. Yes, all of it. Wet.
2. Don't water again until the soil is feeling dry and the pot is light in weight.

If you decide that already damp soil needs more water and act on it, that's when you are in danger of overwatering. With paranoia about overwatering, the danger is improper watering. Part of the pot can be dry while other parts are overwatered. See: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/w...-size-shape-and-environment-affect-it.126852/

Top Bottom