Help Needed, Weed Not Cloudy

• Thread starter The3rdman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Personally, I would have gone with 2 smaller boards over 1 larger one. With a light like the one you just purchased, you won't have a good light footprint all the way out to each end of the 5 ft span. If you only plan on running 2 plants per cycle, you'll be fine.

If you want to know how I would have done it, I would have purchased 2 of these ... although it would run you over $100 more.

or 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-VS1500-Dimmable-Spectrum-Seedling/dp/B09LQCSC8P?ref_=ast_sto_dp which would put you closer in price to the other.

T

The3rdman

Personally, I would have gone with 2 smaller boards over 1 larger one. With a light like the one you just purchased, you won't have a good light footprint all the way out to each end of the 5 ft span. If you only plan on running 2 plants per cycle, you'll be fine.

If you want to know how I would have done it, I would have purchased 2 of these ... although it would run you over $100 more.

or 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-VS1500-Dimmable-Spectrum-Seedling/dp/B09LQCSC8P?ref_=ast_sto_dp which would put you closer in price to the other.
Thank you. Appreciate the information. I'm in week 2 flower, so I'll know in a few weeks whether or not the lighting change made a difference. If it does, I'll be sure to let you know.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thank you. Appreciate the information. I'm in week 2 flower, so I'll know in a few weeks whether or not the lighting change made a difference. If it does, I'll be sure to let you know.
I encourage you to hang out here on the farm ... lots of shared knowledge.

With 2 plants, your board will be fine. Keep in mind that you only want somewhere between 800 ppfd and 1000 ppfd at the canopy. Use the dimmer if you need to. Too much light intensity is a real thing with LEDs.

T

The3rdman

I finished another unsuccessful run. Nice yield, but most trichomes not cloudy. I use two Vivosun LED Grow Lights: The Vivo-Sun VS1000 & VS3000 and I do like them much better than MH/HPS, but they did not resolve my problem.

Anyway, I'm looking to figure out why my cannabis is not pycho-active. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

I didn't get much input when I initially posted on this topic, but I am considering a financial incentive (Reward $) to generate more interest. Do you think I would get more interest if I offered a reward and if so, how much? I am on another grow now (Black Domina & Original Glue) and will start the flower cycle in a couple of days.

This time, I'm going try the GAIA 4-4-4 and 2-8-4.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Sounds to me like your chopping early and or stopping feed too soon. Most breeders count flower time from when flowers appear. That’s a week, week and a half from light flip. Also the weeks they say it takes for whatever strain is for their breeding keeper. Every seed varies from the parent. I’ve had a 9 week plant take 13 weeks.
Were all your failed harvests fro the same batch of seeds? If so they may have mixed up their seeds giving you some long flower landrace Sativa instead of what you ordered.

TSD

TSD

If they're not cloudy, and not psychoactive, sounds like it's not done... or you got shipped cbd strains or super long flowering strains by accident lol. Did you take pictures before you chopped, can we see the buds now? We like pictures here, hard to just guess without seeing anything.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Your weed was not ripe… Will happily claim a reward. Lol. It can take a really long time sometimes. Throw away the breeders estimate. Your plants will tell you when they’re done, just gotta know what to look for. 11 weeks of 12–12 is just on the long side of average to actually get them ripe imo. Especially as a relatively new grower with new lights, doesn’t necessarily mean much that the leaves were yellowing in late flower. Be patient. They will finish. Next time, try posting pics while you’re having the issue and we can see what’s going on. Makes a big difference.

T

The3rdman

No, I am not harvesting too early. When the pistils are 90% or more brown and the leaves are all yellow, the plant is done.

I do know you need to add a couple of weeks to the breeders estimates because they don't start counting the flower cycle until they see flowers (outdoor growers). I knew some of you would say I harvested too early, so I flowered this last grow for 12 weeks and I couldn't see any difference in the weed at 9 weeks or 12 weeks.

It is not genetics. I get seeds from various sites, mostly Nirvana. Also, not a new grower, but someone having trouble in the bud ripening phase.

The plant looks healthy, so I do not see how a photograph of a happy plant would be helpful.

Just looking for possible explanations why trichomes not getting cloudy.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Won’t argue with you 0P. You ask for help, but then tell the people that are trying to help you that you wont show them what they need to see, only what you think they need to see. With respect, if you knew what the problem was, you wouldn’t be here. Good luck bud. Cheers

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I believe they need ethylene normally produced by the plant to ripen. Maybe there’s something in your water or environment that’s acting as an ethylene blocker, maybe? You could try putting banana peels in the tent to boost ethylene. years ago there was a product call dark energy that was an ethylene ripening product. Tsp makes signal I think that’s a ripener too. I don’t have experience with either. The only other thing I can think of that might help is increase the dark time by like 5-10 min a day. Fool it into thinking winter is coming fast?
That’s all I got brotha

T

The3rdman

Won’t argue with you 0P. You ask for help, but then tell the people that are trying to help you that you wont show them what they need to see, only what you think they need to see. With respect, if you knew what the problem was, you wouldn’t be here. Good luck bud. Cheers

I believe they need ethylene normally produced by the plant to ripen. Maybe there’s something in your water or environment that’s acting as an ethylene blocker, maybe? You could try putting banana peels in the tent to boost ethylene. years ago there was a product call dark energy that was an ethylene ripening product. Tsp makes signal I think that’s a ripener too. I don’t have experience with either. The only other thing I can think of that might help is increase the dark time by like 5-10 min a day. Fool it into thinking winter is coming fast?
That’s all I got brotha
I had considered using a ripener. Do ripeners mostly contain sugars? And are they any more effective than unsulfured molasses?

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I thought molasses was mostly to feed microbes in the soil and a shot of micros and cabs for the plant.
Dark energy was an ethylene booster.
House and garden makes a ripening product. Top booster I think. Different than shooting powder which is a p k additive. Probably has some off label ingredients too.
I think signal by tsp has some off label ingredients as well.
Have you looked for scientific research papers on ripening?
I just checked and dark energy is still on the market. Think I would give that a try next time. At least that would prove or disprove my ethylene hypothesis. I knew a commercial grower back in 2007 that used it to seed up finishing times for his long flower strains. He liked it but said be careful with the stuff it’s super potent. Come to think of it I know another guy that used it back when too. I’ll give him a call and see what he has to say.

Sunasun

Sunasun

No, I am not harvesting too early. When the pistils are 90% or more brown and the leaves are all yellow, the plant is done.

I do know you need to add a couple of weeks to the breeders estimates because they don't start counting the flower cycle until they see flowers (outdoor growers). I knew some of you would say I harvested too early, so I flowered this last grow for 12 weeks and I couldn't see any difference in the weed at 9 weeks or 12 weeks.

It is not genetics. I get seeds from various sites, mostly Nirvana. Also, not a new grower, but someone having trouble in the bud ripening phase.

The plant looks healthy, so I do not see how a photograph of a happy plant would be helpful.

Just looking for possible explanations why trichomes not getting cloudy.
Too much light will keep your trichomes from changing also. Please divvy up my reward amongst the group. Thank you đź’–

josefrahl

josefrahl

When the pistils are 90% brown is the very 1st time I check my trichomes and usually still have 3 or 4 weeks left. I've noticed I have to keep my N levels up longer with LEDs as well, or leaves will turn yellow way too fast.

T

The3rdman

Too much light will keep your trichomes from changing also. Please divvy up my reward amongst the group. Thank you đź’–
The light distance was adjusted according to manufacturer guidelines. I also used a Lux meter to get a balanced distribution of lighting across the canopy.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@The3rdman with all due respect, it sounds like you're too text book bound. While there is truth to what you've been saying, cannabis is much more nuanced than 100% cut and dried. The text book learning is a must, but it doesn't replace experience. Instead, they go hand in hand. I would suggest following some of the guidance you've been given above. I've read through the suggestions, and everyone who has chimed in has given you good advise. It makes sense to listen as you've got some highly experienced growers trying to help you out.

At the end of your grow, if you raise/dim the lights a bit your plants should get the hint that its time to finish. When September rolls around outside, the angle of the sun has changed and its not quite as intense as it was back in June/July/August. The raising or dimming of your lights mimics that change. Give it a try instead of dismissing it because its not what you want to hear.

No one here can tell you much without seeing pictures. Brown pistils alone don't tell you anything at all. Yellowing leaves alone are not a signal the plant is done either. They can fade too soon if nitrogen is cut too soon. You should be looking at the actual trichomes on the flowers under magnification. If they have not mushroomed and are not cloudy with a few specks of amber ... they aren't done. It really doesn't get any more straight forward than that.

T

The3rdman

@The3rdman with all due respect, it sounds like you're too text book bound. While there is truth to what you've been saying, cannabis is much more nuanced than 100% cut and dried. The text book learning is a must, but it doesn't replace experience. Instead, they go hand in hand. I would suggest following some of the guidance you've been given above. I've read through the suggestions, and everyone who has chimed in has given you good advise. It makes sense to listen as you've got some highly experienced growers trying to help you out.

At the end of your grow, if you raise/dim the lights a bit your plants should get the hint that its time to finish. When September rolls around outside, the angle of the sun has changed and its not quite as intense as it was back in June/July/August. The raising or dimming of your lights mimics that change. Give it a try instead of dismissing it because its not what you want to hear.

No one here can tell you much without seeing pictures. Brown pistils alone don't tell you anything at all. Yellowing leaves alone are not a signal the plant is done either. They can fade too soon if nitrogen is cut too soon. You should be looking at the actual trichomes on the flowers under magnification. If they have not mushroomed and are not cloudy with a few specks of amber ... they aren't done. It really doesn't get any more straight forward than that.
I think people reading my threads immediately forgot what I said after reading them. I said the pistils were 90% brown at week 9 and leaves went completely yellow by week 12. This is textbook senescence and obviously at this point, the cannabis has gone as far as it can with the ripening process. Photosynthesis needs Green Leaves to work. No difference in potency from week 9 to week 12 because trichomes are not maturing to a cloudy state. Saying that I am harvesting too early does not make sense - I don't think I'm disregarding anyone's advice, just using a little common sense here.

Someone suggested going to LED lighting. Check. I tried that suggestion and I believe it shows I am listening and willing to try something different that makes some kind of sense.

Someone suggested using TPS Signal. Maybe worth a look. Anybody agree, and why? Can I use with an organic grow?

Someone said be careful having LED lights too close to the plants. Check. LED light distance okay.

And there was a suggestion to use ethylene to help the ripening process. This idea seems a bit farfetched to me, but I am grateful for the information. If anyone can make a stronger case for ethylene, please do.

So Migrandpausa, you say I should follow some of the advice I have been given. Which advice in this thread would you suggest that I follow?

TSD

TSD

Photosynthesis needs green leaves, as you said, and trichomes need photosynthesis to ripen. Leaves can yellow and die cause plants sre stealing the food in them, it's not a guarantee they are naturally fading cause they're done. Maybe you're stopping nutes too soon? Have you tried backing off the light or dimming a bit like others have suggested, to mimic fall? You also said it's not psychoactive, which is suspect to me, that something else is going on or you have a strain other than it was listed, like cbd heavy or something... because I've had to harvest plants several weeks, even over a month before they were ready due to mold popping up, and despite there not being a milky or amber trichome in sight, it still got me high. Is there a reason you don't want to share pictures? It's kind of like trying to shoot the wind with no pictures really.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think people reading my threads immediately forgot what I said after reading them. I said the pistils were 90% brown at week 9 and leaves went completely yellow by week 12. This is textbook senescence and obviously at this point, the cannabis has gone as far as it can with the ripening process. Photosynthesis needs Green Leaves to work. No difference in potency from week 9 to week 12 because trichomes are not maturing to a cloudy state. Saying that I am harvesting too early does not make sense - I don't think I'm disregarding anyone's advice, just using a little common sense here.

Someone suggested going to LED lighting. Check. I tried that suggestion and I believe it shows I am listening and willing to try something different that makes some kind of sense.

Someone suggested using TPS Signal. Maybe worth a look. Anybody agree, and why? Can I use with an organic grow?

Someone said be careful having LED lights too close to the plants. Check. LED light distance okay.

And there was a suggestion to use ethylene to help the ripening process. This idea seems a bit farfetched to me, but I am grateful for the information. If anyone can make a stronger case for ethylene, please do.

So Migrandpausa, you say I should follow some of the advice I have been given. Which advice in this thread would you suggest that I follow?

Post your pictures. No one is able to help you without them. Without pictures, everyone is guessing. You want help, but your approach seems almost hostile/unfriendly. People will stop responding eventually.

Top Bottom